Just a theory: Darth Vader's ANH lightsaber = Boba Fett's ESB blaster

MCM

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not, but I tried searching to no avail.

It's been deduced to a reasonable amount of certainty that Vader's V2 hero saber wound up as the hero saber for ESB/ROTJ after a few modifications/repairs, but whatever happened to the V1? As far as I know, it's fate after post-production is unknown.

I'm thinking that the saber was parted out (possibly due to it's sad state after various repairs) and wound up as the barrel in Boba Fett's EE-3 for ESB. Maybe the clamp wound up on the Barbican saber (although the lever would have to have been repaired?).

I'm just spit-balling here. What do you think?

That's a neat idea. There are also MPPs seen as stunt fencing sabers in later movies so there were quite a few MPPs on set. This theory is hard to prove, it could have easily been another piece.

I don't like the ESB Fett blaster. I think the ESB barrel just looks odd compared to the ROTJ version. It just looks way more SW than the ESB, IMO

Here is what lonepigeon had to say about it in 2009 (post #39 from this thread: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=36797&page=2).

There were at least 3 MPPs used in the OT.
However I do believe one ANH Vader saber did become the ESB/ROTJ. I refer to this one as the Vader ANH v2 (black angled sidebars in clamp - same as ESB/ROTJ). I think the ESB/ROTJ saber uses the calc bubbles from the ANH v1.

1. Vader ANH (silver straight sidebars) seen in SW Chronicles
2. Vader ANH v2 (black angled sidebars), reused as ESB/ROTJ
3a. Vader Barbican/ROTJ (uses a real MPP clamp, black angled sidebars)
3b. Boba Fett ESB rifle barrel

As you can see we can account for at least 3 MPP clamps in the OT. and at least 2 MPP bodies. The original Vader ANH saber could have become the Fett rifle barrel, but that doesn't explain the 3rd clamp.

PS - MPP's are less rare in the UK and considering all the flashes were probably acquired from the same source, I don't think it's that odd they had several.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back