Harry Potter: Year with the Yeti

shmartybird

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all,

For the past year I've made it my mission to recreate Gilderoy Lockhart's Year with the Yeti. I've been obsessed with all of the GIlderoy books since I saw CoS, and always wanted this particular book on my shelf.

The design work was pretty standard. I started by sourcing and acquiring the original prints used to make the original prop (three prints in total), scanned them and then photoshopped for weeks to create the main cover.

YETI-RPF_zpsx82s1ruv.png

The book it covers is a 20cm x 20cm blank sketchbook.

Here are some progress pics, along with a couple of failed attempts for the spine text (still not figured a viable method out yet)-

Test/draft copies to see how things layout:

Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 8.18.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 8.18.51 PM.png

Cut-outs of the spine text tried on both card-stock and gold foil (failed). :(

Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 8.19.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 8.23.56 PM.png

And voila!:

Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 8.21.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 8.23.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 8.22.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 8.22.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 8.21.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 8.20.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-26 at 8.19.46 PM.png

[Skele-Gro courtesy of HotShot]

Let me know what you guys think! I'd be glad of any tips for the spine text too :)

Shmartybird

someone's calling me? i can sniff the lockhart in here :D

shmartybird, that book looks absolutely amazing and very much like the screen accurate one. i have a gilderoy lockhart book set actually. i bought it from a collector long time ago. they are not the original props but they were gifted in potter movie set. simple printings covered onto blank books. and there year with the yeti book's spine looks like that:

Scanspines.png

but as far as i know the original spine is empty. i guess this from the pictures i have seen about this book until now . i hope this helps.

again wonderful job. :love:thumbsuphttp://www.therpf.com/member.php?u=108649

Scanspines.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys!

I'm in two minds about the spine text- I might try another method using a vinyl stencil and gold paint, or I might just leave it blank. This screen used one has it included, but as you say @lynx0099 some of the original props don't.

80357411_o.jpg

Wow! Amazing job on that one! Looks absolutely 100% screen-accurate to me.
btw how did you buy print from Archive.org site?

pm sent ;P

I'll likely be starting a run of these once I order more sketchbooks; It's great to finally see my year long efforts come to fruition!! :)

Last edited:
Awesome work Shmartybird! That's really a beautiful piece, good references photos about this book are hard to find.
The foil looks great too. From the pictures I have from a screen-used, there is a spine-text. Have you tried aging a little bit the cover to make it more authentic?

I would definitely be interested by one too!

Thanks again guys.

It's great to see that other people love this prop as much as I do.

Awesome work Shmartybird! That's really a beautiful piece, good references photos about this book are hard to find.
The foil looks great too. From the pictures I have from a screen-used, there is a spine-text. Have you tried aging a little bit the cover to make it more authentic?

I would definitely be interested by one too!

Thanks Tymex!

Yeh I tried a version with tea-stained cardstock (and also a version with parchment) but they came out looking too yellow. Plus I wanted a newish-looking copy as if fresh from Flourish & Blotts ;)

Hi all,

Just an update to say that I finally figured out a viable method for the spine text!

It took quite some patience to achieve the effect, but after experimenting with card-stock, gold foil and even trying to stencil with gold ink (very messy), I had to try something new.

Turns out the winner was gold vinyl and decoupage sealant:

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

Also, could not find correctly sized notebooks/sketchbooks anywhere for additional copies, and the sketchbook I currently have for the prototype has this awful looking black plastic covering.

So I decided to bind my own with nice Italian bookcloth:

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0147.JPG

Last edited:
These five took about a week to make from scratch (I don't even want to count the hours lol), but now my house is starting to feel like Flourish and Blotts :).

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0152.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back