My latest weathered Nine Gates replica

the first German, danke schön! :)
Kabeiroi, I prefer the dark brown version myself as that's the screen accurate color. Similarly, the on screen book only had gold foil on the lines of the pentagram; the frame borders and the inside fleur of the pentagram were all only tooled/embossed.
Chaank, PM sent!
Art Andrews, thanks for the compliments, mate! But I wouldn't have been able to get to this stage with the Nine Gates without the generosity of Mike Haspil (Rogue428) and tremendous help from Sumatra. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally finished the custom book. I guess I can call it my interpretation of what Aristide Torchia's personal copy of the Nine Gates would be. This differs from the screen accurate Nine Gates in that the cover is black leather instead of dark brown and that it features full gold foil embossing on the pentagram instead of just the outline. All 9 woodcuts in this book are the LCF versions including the genuine 9th engraving. The book is pristine, i.e. the cover and pages are not weathered, only the page edges have been slightly weathered to accentuate the book's appearance.

kalkamel , first, let me say that your work on this piece is exquisite. Truly. Second, is there any way that I can contact you (or you can contact me) regarding possibly purchasing your work for myself?

Basically, I am looking for a full set - 1 Balkan Copy, 1 Kessler copy, and 1 Fargas copy. Pretty much, the full treatment.

PM sent!

@kalkamel , first, let me say that your work on this piece is exquisite. Truly. Second, is there any way that I can contact you (or you can contact me) regarding possibly purchasing your work for myself?

Basically, I am looking for a full set - 1 Balkan Copy, 1 Kessler copy, and 1 Fargas copy. Pretty much, the full treatment.

I really enjoy book props and this looks great! The paper and leather you found make for a wonderful prop. Do you have a Junkyard thread? Makes me want to re-read the book....

NM Found it! :D AMAZING Work.. Please PM me w pricing.

PM sent!

@eurekaeureka, for my Nine Gates, the pages are printed loose, meaning an A4 paper is printed on both sides and then stacked together to form the pages. This printing method is employed due to printer limitations.Once the pages are cut down to size, they will be bound by the binder using the "Oversewn method", where loose sheets of pages are sewn together to form the text block. Small vertical holes are punched through the far left-hand edge of each signature, and then the signatures are sewn together with lock-stitches to form the text block. Oversewing is a very strong method of binding and can be done on books up to five inches thick. However, the margins of oversewn books are reduced and the pages will not lie flat when opened. I should emphasize here that my Nine Gates is a prop replica meant for display. The text is Latin gibberish which has no meaning, so its not meant to be read or studied over and over again. Nevertheless, oversewn binding a very strong method of binding and unless you put the book through really torturous bashing, the pages are not likely to come loose.

For the spine ridges, I just place twines drenched in glue in the appropriate places and once they harden, I'll cover the book with the leather.

My binders recently upgraded to a newer hot stamping machine, so I decided to retire my Nine Gates blocks (which I've had for 8 years) and make new ones to fit the new machine. The first pulls from the new blocks and the new machine are, for lack of a better word, fantastic. The impressions are sharp and deep, and I would dare say, look almost as good as hand-tooled.

Here's a comparison between an older cover and the new one:

Here are some of the books I recently finished.

The Complete Nine Gates collection: Balkan/Telfer, Fargas and Kessler.
rps20180405_104038.jpg

Custom Aristide Torchia all-LCF version bound in black leather.
rps20180405_104059.jpg

I've also changed my binding method to a more accurate style. The pages are now printed on larger sheets and folded and bound in signatures.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back