Reasons to never buy a disc based game system when it first comes out

is the leap in graphics that big from ps3 to ps4?

Not as big as it should be seeing as how PS3/360 came out 7/8 years ago. Another thing which is quite sad really is a mail I got weeks ago from Microsoft with the subject line saying: "Xbox One is built for the future-and for now" a bit since it is using tech that have been around for years :facepalm

I have every Nintendo console made, except the 3D Gameboy (the goggle looking one) and Wii (I have a Wii U) and they all work, never failed, never replaced.

Same story here at least until GameCube and I am at the moment on my TENTH Xbox 360 :wacko

Won't be getting an Xbox THREE since MS did what they did with the presentation :darnkids

When I was a kid we were always about 3-4 years behind the tech when it came to gaming. I was playing my Atari 2600 as my only console until Christmas of 1989. :lol

I'm not quite that behind now but I'm definitely not the type that needs to have the new system at launch. I'll pick up a used PS4 and XB1 in a couple of years.

Yeah, that's been my experience. I never owned any console until the 360 which I got in 2006. Had an RROD once, got it replaced, no problems since. On the other hand, my TV and Blur Ray player both have issues connecting to the internet, both wired and wifi. Annoying? Yeah, but their primary functions are great.

Still, I regularly hold off on buying new systems for several reasons.

1. Not much of a software base. It takes around 2-3 years before a lot of terrific titles have come out for a system. If you look at starter games on the Xbox (original) and later games on it, it's worlds different. Same with the 360. Also, backward compatibility is often dodgy.

2. Working out the kinks. Hardware failures are one thing, but I'd bet there are service hiccups that'll happen over the next year or so with both of these almost-always-online consoles.

3. Never buy a MS product until at least 1 service pack has been released. ;)

Oh you also need to watch out you don't cuss even a little with microsoft now. if you get reported while playing xbox 1 you get banned from it and skype and some other program. Supposedly to protect the little brats who shouldn't be playing the games anyhow, but i bet they don't get banned. MS loves to find ways to alienate gamers.

Oh you also need to watch out you don't cuss even a little with microsoft now. if you get reported while playing xbox 1 you get banned from it and skype and some other program. Supposedly to protect the little brats who shouldn't be playing the games anyhow, but i bet they don't get banned. MS loves to find ways to alienate gamers.

Well Microsoft did say that they were determined to own the living rooms of consumers.

Al

Very true. They're turning into Apple, they've been spying on folks for years. Even the nsa was impressed by steve jobs. My tv is having and issue now. i really hope it's the power plug though and not the tv.

People aren't getting banned for Skype calls, they aren't even monitored. People are getting temporary 24 hour ban for uploading clips from games that have constant swearing.

Ah the report i saw was that the ban including their skype accounts as a blanket ban. Yet MS still hasn't found a way to stop 10 year olds from getting in an T rated online game and causing trouble.

So happy I didn't jump on the bandwagon :D

Very true. They're turning into Apple, they've been spying on folks for years. Even the nsa was impressed by steve jobs. My tv is having and issue now. i really hope it's the power plug though and not the tv.

Big Brother is watching you ;)

People aren't getting banned for Skype calls, they aren't even monitored. People are getting temporary 24 hour ban for uploading clips from games that have constant swearing.

Banned for using something the way it was intended :facepalm They should add Microsoft to the Oxford dictionary right next to a Picard facepalm picture that reads: "Epic fail" :lol

With the exception of Battlefield 4 working poorly, or not at all (which seems to be common across all platforms) my XB1 has been badass. Dead Rising 3 is a hell of a fun game. Also, screw discs. Digital only for me from here on is the plan.

I do digital only for Steam, which is fine by me, so the concept of a truly "licensed" game rather than one I "own" doesn't bother me in the slightest. But I thought that the XB1 hard drive was kinda small as HDDs go, no?

Anyway, I'm gonna hold off on this one for a bit. Watch for a year or so and see what problems get reported. It'll take that long at least for the hardware issues to start popping up, I figure.

The hdd is 500gb, but the system frees up space based on what you've accessed lately. So theoretically if you fill it up it will delete old game installs first. Also ha s usb3 ports for external storage for down the line. I feel ok about going discless on that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

See i don't want my system erasing anything so i hope that's a feature that can be turned off. I remember always having to be the first to get a new system but now i like to wait and see. Plus when you wait you get better deals with bundles like i did with the ps3 uncharted 3 bundle.

With this generation there's no reason that there shouldn't be a 3TB drive in there. Hopefully it isn't proprietary and can be swapped out?

Afaik you can't swap the one in the xbox but you can tge ps4. Either way you have to buy additional storage to go over 500gb, whether it's a drive swap or external.

With this generation there's no reason that there shouldn't be a 3TB drive in there. Hopefully it isn't proprietary and can be swapped out?

Edit: Paul beat me to posting. as for the bigger drives it's all about cash by selling one only you can supply. It's not like the hight capacity ones cost that much more than a 500gb these days.

To my knowledge they are not going to be making you use a proprietary drive for external storage on xb1. The feature isn't live on consoles yet in any case.

That, to me, is another reason to wait and see. They may release different hardware configs down the road, and frankly, 500gb doesn't seem like all that much for downloaded games.

Yeah, even on Steam, Arkham City is something like 19gb. 500 may seem like a lot when it's empty...but it can be eaten up pretty quickly, particularly if you have no ability to manage your library yourself. Steam at least lets me do that.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back