ILM Force Awakens CG ship renders. ULTRA high res.

Well if you want to get technical, studio scale is the same size (among other things) as the original filming model. So what size were the new X-Wings when they filmed them?

They were not filmed... that's kind of the point they were all CGI versions of the ship so technically there is no "studio scale" version of any ship that was done 100% CGI.

People have made arguments that "study models" that are often created as something for the CGI artist to copy "could" be considered studio scale. But that's an even grayer area we don't want to go to - at least in this thread.

Studio scale is simply the same size and shape, with as many original parts, constructed as close to the original techniques as we can do... anything else is techically "not studio scale" by the original definition. Since the original def was created the hobby has changed a lot... 3D printers to recreate the impossible to find original kit part has been generally accepted... as long as its the same size as the original part - just as an example. but it has NOT changed to be a specifc scale (1/24 is often cited as studio scale incorrectly) and has never included items that are 100% only inside the computer.

Jedi Dade

Yeah that was pretty much my point.

- - - Updated - - -

Trust me, I know they didn't film actual miniatures it's all cgi. That's what I was trying to get across with my snarky comment.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back