Deagostini Falcon. Anyone seen this?

Got month 25 yesterday and for the first (and last) time had parts that broke out of the bag. Painting guide is a complete joke, stand is stupid, and the R2 advert they included didn't get me excited at all. The shots they have of the final product look like crap with terrible panel lines and joints. Not impressed at all.

Everything is all tucked away until I get the time and space to do it justice. That will be a while, but at least this part of the journey is complete.

-Gary

What's the big deal....? They said from the start painting the model properly was part of building the kit.

I got my last shipment today as well. Some thoughts...

I'm still miffed by the paint job, or rather lack thereof. There's even a shot in one of the included magazines of the "finished" Falcon: looks like the out-of-the-box Hasbro with lighting, just all plastic-y looking and bland. That DeAgostini 1) used UK and USA customers as guinea pigs and then shipped correct parts to other countries without then replacing those pieces for their original subscribers, and 2) "fixed" the cockpit by not fixing it, just adds salt to the wound. I don't see me buying another DeAgostini product, unless it's finished and I can see what I'd purchasing. But that's me.

The included reference posters are worthless: too dark to see anything. Luckily, those of us on here have a good network for great reference. I'm not sure how others who don't have that "brotherhood" are going to fare. I feel bad for the stereo-typical "Dad and his son" that planned on building it together, with Dad now realizing the amount of work that's going to have to go into this thing to even make it look remotely decent is going up along with the amount of cash he has to shell out... each subscriber has already spent a ton of money on this thing... now add to that more money for paints (and if you want accurate after-market parts, then it's even more), and then add more time for research... and you wind up with something that truly costs a lot. And I just don't know if it's worth it.

The "wall mount" does make a lovely door stop though. ;)

Anyways, not b!tch!ng about anything new here... I know it's been debated already both here and on the DeAgostini forum. The "final" package (as I doubt they'll release any fixes or the missing parts), just brought all this to a conclusion in my mind, and I'm not feeling real good about it. I'm sure I'll change my feelings once I get this thing built and looking like THE Falcon. But that's a ways away.

Sorry to be a Negative Nancy. Back to your regularly scheduled Prop Thread, already in progress. ;)

Thanks,
Chris

What's the big deal....? They said from the start painting the model properly was part of building the kit.

There's painting it properly (which I take as painting it at the level of the shooting model, like Darkview has done) and then there's giving us pieces with at least an attempt at slapping some paint and weathering on it: They didn't even do that.

Just a quick lookup of DeAgostini's advertising (in this case, their "Series Guide" which came with the first 4 issues, bolding emphasis mine):

-"Just like the prop from The Empire Strikes Back"
-"Your model is an authentic, official replica of the original filming prop, built to the same scale, with all the external details seen on screen."
-"Pre-painted parts ensure an authentic appearance, but you can choose to add your own detailing
-"Hull parts are supplied pre-finished, but expert modellers can apply their own battle scars and other touches to add extra authenticity and personalize the model."

I read those statements, and then look at what was actually delivered by DeAgostini and that is a "big deal" to me. Maybe no one else besides myself, Scottjua, and Gary Weaver feel this way, and that's fine, as I don't think there's any quota on this forum that needs to be reached before one can share their opinion, positive or negative.

I have my opinion and interpretation of what they said this product would be, and you have your opinion and interpretation, which I respect. But just because it's not a "big deal" to you, doesn't mean it's not a "big deal" to others.

Regards,
Chris

I agree %100. Not to mention that the original props were constantly been changed due to the effects of hours of handling it through film. Greeblies would fall off, they were constantly touched up so no matter what you try you will never end up with the exact same prop as the movie. People are never satisfied.

I would also recommend watching the official video tutorial by Steve Dymszo in 4 parts:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

So now that we're hitting the finals, who has a good painting tutorial for us newbs out there...

My and my buddy both have a set, and we're building at his place. Neither of us have painted models before, and know we'll need an airbrush setup...But REALLY hoping a good tutorial is out there...

We truly have no idea where to start.

Yeah I bought on the idea that it was pre painted, and we could add a little weathering to taste... but now it's just bare.

That said, I'm not overly upset... I like the recommended tutorials, and I'm always more attached to a project the more I end up doing, but yeah, those dads and kids who expected a final good looking ship with no painting are in for a surprise.

If you were so dissatisfied why didn't you cancel your subscription 1/4 of the way in? It was obvious so early that the model would require paint/weathering. If the model came pre-painted/weathered it would have cost twice as much a month.

There's painting it properly (which I take as painting it at the level of the shooting model, like Darkview has done) and then there's giving us pieces with at least an attempt at slapping some paint and weathering on it: They didn't even do that.

Just a quick lookup of DeAgostini's advertising (in this case, their "Series Guide" which came with the first 4 issues, bolding emphasis mine):

-"Just like the prop from The Empire Strikes Back"
-"Your model is an authentic, official replica of the original filming prop, built to the same scale, with all the external details seen on screen."
-"Pre-painted parts ensure an authentic appearance, but you can choose to add your own detailing
-"Hull parts are supplied pre-finished, but expert modellers can apply their own battle scars and other touches to add extra authenticity and personalize the model."

I read those statements, and then look at what was actually delivered by DeAgostini and that is a "big deal" to me. Maybe no one else besides myself, Scottjua, and Gary Weaver feel this way, and that's fine, as I don't think there's any quota on this forum that needs to be reached before one can share their opinion, positive or negative.

I have my opinion and interpretation of what they said this product would be, and you have your opinion and interpretation, which I respect. But just because it's not a "big deal" to you, doesn't mean it's not a "big deal" to others.

Regards,
Chris

If you were so dissatisfied why didn't you cancel your subscription 1/4 of the way in? It was obvious so early that the model would require paint/weathering. If the model came pre-painted/weathered it would have cost twice as much a month.

How you dare to bring up logic into this argument!? LOL! The guy was also complaining about a Randy Cooper kit a few days ago for what is worth.

Even if they did pre paint the model, which would have been a huge cost, there is no way they could have gotten the paint on the whole kit to flow naturally when the armor was in so many pieces. Then everyone would have complained about their paint work or lack of accuracy in paint detail. There's no way you could have a pre painted model look any thing near the original. Besides, I don't think I've built a model that I didn't have to paint.

Last edited:
Wow... ScarecrowJoe and Darkside I truly apologize. How dare I have an opinion that differs from yours.

And Darkside, yes I am so pathetic. Maybe if I had a photo of me standing in front of a fast red car, holding a rifle, I'd be more of a man.

On a non-sarcastic note, I tried to be respectful of your insulting post, but you, and now the very behind-the-keyboard-tough ScarecrowJoe, have to start slinging insults at me for having a different point of view than yours. I answered your initial insultingly-toned post with actual FACTS taken from the DeAgostini literature. But all you both can do is call me pathetic and point out how I complained about something else in a post "a few days ago" (check your dates Scarecrow... if you're going to flame me for having an opinion different than yours, at least get the timeline right).

I'd suggest getting back on topic, but I'm sure you'll both have some more insightful wisdom to share in trying to keep anybody else here from disagreeing with you (what, do you own stock in DeAgostini?). Enjoy, as I won't be responding to anything further you brain surgeons have to say. Have a nice life (not really).

With all due respect (which is to say you deserve none),
Chris

No power adapter is included, Greedo. DeAgostini is supposed to have one available on their website, one for UK and one for USA (not sure where you're at). But the posted specs are as follows (taken from a post on the DeAgostini Model Space forum):

UK Spec:
UK 3 Pin plug fit.
Input: 240 Volts AC 50 Hz.
Regulated Output: DC 9 Volts/1amp (1000ma)
Connector Type: 5.5 x 2.5mm Male
Internal heat sinks (for reliable continuous operation).
Over current protection & Short circuit protection.
IC Controlled Stable Voltage with Input & Output line filters.
CE certified and ROHS compliant.

USA Spec:
Input: 120Volts AC 60Hz.
Output: DC 9Volts.
Amperage: 1amp (1000ma)
Connector Type: 5.5 x 2.5mm Mal

Hopefully with this info, it's something we can just pick-up on ebay or Amazon?

Chris

****ing bull ****!! I hate this ******* company with a passion. So glad this build is finally over. Will never do another build with them. ****ing ****** I'm pissed!

And yes, if anyone has a link to a suitable adapter, please pass it along.

Just a word of warning on the issues that supply pieces to the rear deck. Double check the instructions and compare to an actual photos of the rear deck. I've already found a few instances where they either tell you to put it in the wrong hole or the wrong orientation.

Last edited:
No power adapter is included, Greedo. DeAgostini is supposed to have one available on their website, one for UK and one for USA (not sure where you're at). But the posted specs are as follows (taken from a post on the DeAgostini Model Space forum):

UK Spec:
UK 3 Pin plug fit.
Input: 240 Volts AC 50 Hz.
Regulated Output: DC 9 Volts/1amp (1000ma)
Connector Type: 5.5 x 2.5mm Male
Internal heat sinks (for reliable continuous operation).
Over current protection & Short circuit protection.
IC Controlled Stable Voltage with Input & Output line filters.
CE certified and ROHS compliant.

USA Spec:
Input: 120Volts AC 60Hz.
Output: DC 9Volts.
Amperage: 1amp (1000ma)
Connector Type: 5.5 x 2.5mm Mal

Hopefully with this info, it's something we can just pick-up on ebay or Amazon?

Chris

Anyone else just do a double-take? No power supply? Maybe your google-fu is better than mine, but just a month ago, I went through hell to track down a power supply cable for a video camera. Out of stock at the manufacturer but I needed the camera for a family event. I had the specs and couldn't find one anywhere--so it was more than difficult, it was impossible.

Yes, if someone finds one, please post a link.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back