Suicide Squad (Post-release)

Just got back from watching SS and I thought that it was great, still not better than Marvel flics but good, I think that people who read Comics sometimes compare there readings to Movie and that normally does'nt work it put to much into play, Go watch and enjoy that's just my take!

The joker was terrible. Not even a snappy one liner or good joke out of him. Also why the F does his laugh sound like the old school penguin? Really now, he was almost like a doll that you pull the string to make it go hahaha. He just looks past people when he stares at everything as if he trying to think if he left the oven in when left the house that morning.

will smith made it a will smith move. Damn thing turned into persuit of happiness with I need to make it and be with my kid towards the end.

Harley was good, had a mix of classic Harley and a bit of new.

the last battle was ghostbusters. Zuul with join me or die. Blah blah I'm a Deamon God. Also the girl waking up from under the muddy / stone crumble like Dana from the dog statue.

captain boomerang should have just snapped the lady at the end. Since he was that close to her. Crap even grab her and tell her to do it and we both go. Just to have flag knock him out from behind to save the boss.

How does a bomb blow up a god/ spirit? That was lame.

killer croc was just a terrible super Mario bros. reject. Even had terrible lines.

was the movie entertaining..sure, but highly disappointing. Also you knew it would be so no shocked there
end credit is justice league folder. Wow big shocked there for something everyone knows about. Should have use the Harley break out instead.

I never understood why they needed to give the Joker those tats and teeth, he looks more like a rapper version of Marilyn Manson than the Joker. Somewhere out there people overdosed on the word "Edgy".

Ledger's Joker was good, and he feels like he could run circles around Leto's Joker and leave him with his gold mouth wide open. Just like the comic book Joker would leave them both in his dust laughing all the way.

I think the Joker works best when he has the full range of madness all the way from harmless*, quirky and unfathomably weird to all out menacing and ice-cold homicidal. In recent years most people have tried to make the Joker "permanently" evil and menacing almost monstrous. These versions are too focussed on being evil. Joker is the guy who would be playing with kittens one second and make you think maybe he's not so bad and before you know he's talked you into microwaving them yourself. He's supposed to be funny at times and sometimes he's just laughing at the overcrowded improv stage in his mind. Take Leto's Joker, the guy is playing crime celebrity in expensive and exclusive hangouts, but any gangster with half a brain would have every self-preservation instinct light up like a Christmas tree and either get out or try to have him whacked. Joker's madness works best when he's random, when you think you have him worked out and suddenly does a quick succession of turns. Ledger's Joker was the anarchist, but the real Joker is much more and everything else in the playbook.

*The fact that the Joker doesn't kill you shouldn't mean that he doesn't do anything to screw with your mind. Convincing someone he might be redeemable will pay off in his next confrontation with the Bat and ruin his day.

I saw this earlier tonight and loved it! Dead Shot and Harley were the two the stood out the most and I was slightly let down by Joker. I don't even recall him making a joke in the film. Regardless, still was a really good movie and it was nice seeing Batman in there!

I thought the 1/4 of the movie was awesome, then it was almost as if they flipped a switch and it went real bad real fast. The horrible one liners, the bad puns, etc.. For a bunch of "the worse of the worst", they were the biggest cry babies. Smith and Margot were the best parts even when Margot put the Nanny brooklyn voice on extra thick. Jared finally won me over as the Joker in the trailers, then when I see him in the movie....nope, just horrible. Or Cara at the end with her doomsday device and dancing while trying to fight them off, just bad, all bad.

Was it enjoyable, yes,..but Im still not sure how.

I thought the 1/4 of the movie was awesome, then it was almost as if they flipped a switch and it went real bad real fast. The horrible one liners, the bad puns, etc.. For a bunch of "the worse of the worst", they were the biggest cry babies. Smith and Margot were the best parts even when Margot put the Nanny brooklyn voice on extra thick. Jared finally won me over as the Joker in the trailers, then when I see him in the movie....nope, just horrible. Or Cara at the end with her doomsday device and dancing while trying to fight them off, just bad, all bad.

Was it enjoyable, yes,..but Im still not sure how.

That's just it. It was enjoyable to watch. I'm on the flip side. Loved Leto's Joker. I think a lot of the problem with reviews in the media, is these ppl don't know the history or even read comics. I realized that when the dude next to me made a snicker and stupid comment on how HQ called Joker "Mr. J" guess he doesn't read comics!!!

Reel

Yeah but remember these movies can't make the super bucks if it ONLY caters to super comic fans. There can be fan service along with normal action fare.

Anyone else notice there was one line the Joker said, but Jared forgot to do it in the Joker voice, it was his regular voice. It was the scene where he's at the club and and the prison guard is sitting down.

It was like they used the wrong take for that scene lol

Yeah but remember these movies can't make the super bucks if it ONLY caters to super comic fans. There can be fan service along with normal action fare.
The trick is to appreciate that there is something compelling in every IP - something that once inspired an uninitiated individual to become a fan. When you can translate that bridge onto film you will create new fans from the general public. The problem with pure fan service, as you said, only appeals to the initiated. Conversely the complete deconstruction/reimagining of the IP (e.g. Catwoman movie, Fant4stic, etc.) in order to draw only the general public completely disregards the elements that make the IP viable and worthy of a fandom. This is a challenging balance that Marvel has, through trial and error, seemingly mastered. DC seems to be trying to play either side - i.e. deconstruction with fan service elements (BvS) when what they need to do is to create a bridge.

The article takes a big leap when they presume it all has to do with the word, "suicide," in the title. I think it's more likely that the film arguably glorifies villainous characters. In the US we're all about glorifying outlaws but, in China, where hard work, discipline, responsibility and self-sacrifice are the prime virtues to be promoted, a film like this could seem pointless at best and subversive at worst. Is that censorship? You bet. The concept of complete "free speech" is unique to the US.

If there is a lesson to be learned here its don't trust a film critic.
Or a score on 'Rotten Tomatoes'.
I thoroughly enjoyed 'Suicide Squad'.
It easily beat the rather flat 'X men: Apocalypse' and 'Star Trek: Beyond and its a very positive step past 'Batman V Superman' confused and grim execution . And as to joining the league of terrible comicbook movie adaptations, forget about it . I'd happily watch this again this week, whilst there are plenty of others I simply WISHED I've never watched at all.
Yes it does have its odd problems.
David Ayers could have done with a writing partner to craft some sharper humour and smooth some of the rough edges off the script and you can clearly see the WB studios panicky executive fingerprints all over the edit because if anything it tries far too hard in the beginning to be some other movie. And that loss of consistent tone feels a little off late on, but I've got to say some of the best scenes for me, such as in the bar, had some real weight to them and there were great character moments, better than I'd been lead to expect.
Talking of which the cast were really great, though I did struggle with the Joker, his bling just seems "wrong", like he would ever really give a ****** about dressing the way other gansters would just to impress them. Definitely an off the scale pyscho but I didn't get that whole other kind of 'mad genius plotting going on behind the eyes' with Leto in this film, just a random unpredictable nutter.
Everyone else gets a strong pass ,particularly El Diablo, Deadshot, Harley, Amanda, and the Boomerang. I wish they had lengthened the movie a bit earlier on, so the others got a bit more time to develop with us but they all had their part to play by the end. Some dialogue and conversations seemed truncated but I think the editting is partly to blame. But it still got its share of laughter and there were some really heartfelt moments in this.
What I really don't understand is the critical pounding this movie is getting. Its not up there with Marvels recent classics, but has everyone forgotten "Iron Man II", or "The Hulks"? Then there are some of the X men and Wolverine failures, the Fantatic Four, the worst of the Spidermans etc etc. Why this tidal wave of hate??? To read the comments you'd have thought this was the absolute bottom of the compost heap but it simply ,isn't not by a considerable margin.
Is it as great as I'd hoped. No, for me it needed a stronger script, snappier and funnier dialogue and a better villian to be the best of the best . But the worst of the worst. No way in hell.
I bloody well enjoyed myself watching it , I wasn't bored, I can't see what half the effing critics were going on about and crucially I didn't feel I got cheated out of either my time and money watching it. If you want an entertaining, slightly off kilter summer blockbuster you could do a ton worse than Suicide Squad.

I'll bet the word "suicide" has a huge amount to do with why China doesn't want it.
It's considered very bad luck in China to say the word, hear the word, write the word, type the word, even SEE the word.
There's some really heavy stigma and superstition with suicide in Chinese culture.

The article takes a big leap when they presume it all has to do with the word, "suicide," in the title. I think it's more likely that the film arguably glorifies villainous characters. In the US we're all about glorifying outlaws but, in China, where hard work, discipline, responsibility and self-sacrifice are the prime virtues to be promoted, a film like this could seem pointless at best and subversive at worst. Is that censorship? You bet. The concept of complete "free speech" is unique to the US.

Apparently the Chinese also don't like ghosts.. :)
CutThumb to be fair Rotten Tomatoes is simply an aggregator of reviews which spits out a binary result off good/bad. It's cant be blamed for that result but it can be trusted as accurate based on the data input (reviews).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll bet the word "suicide" has a huge amount to do with why China doesn't want it.
It's considered very bad luck in China to say the word, hear the word, write the word, type the word, even SEE the word.
There's some really heavy stigma and superstition with suicide in Chinese culture.

They could've easily released it in China as "Task Force X" just saying [emoji4]

Reel

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back