Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien) Its back on!

Nice progress Leigh :)

I do not know if I understand English well. I'm not the author of the video and the printed part. For technical support you can write directly below the YouTube video comments

Made by people here in Sweden, I can hear them speaking Swedish :p

It looks so cool, crisp and sharp! So well done. Can't wait to see the final and order one!
just take my money. Ahah. :)

Thanks Guy's :)

These are just some cardboard templates I'm knocking up but this should give you a clue as to my intentions with this :)
897.JPG

:)

Last edited:

Lol DD :D

Here's another pic:
898.JPG

In this pic you can see I've started adding clay (the black stuff). the clay is 3/16" thick (5mm) around the sides & 5/16" thick (8mm) covering the middle part.

Here's a pic of Bob for no particular reason :D
899.JPG

He's overseeing progress ;)

Thanks Dave :)

Last edited:

Now that you've put the clay strip along the outer perimeter, I think I understand. You're creating a series of gaps to create a thickness instead of a full volume. So it is?:)

Nice nice!!!
I love it.

no clue what you're doing with your clay and cardboard but I trust you. Lol

Last edited:

You got it :)

Yes with this cast it will be a one piece solid cast but hollow underneath with reinforcing struts cast into it. The reasoning is simply to save material while retaining the strength needed to support Bob.
If I just cast this as solid with a flat bottom it would consume about 5 ltrs (a gallon) of plastic which would cost a small fortune. If I rotocast it, it wont be strong enough to support Bob since he weighs about 18lbs (8kg) without the base. He may well end up weighing more like 20 without the base as I still need to add foam to the fin, his tongue isn't fitted yet & he's a little front heavy so I may add a little weight to the back to even things out a bit.

The cardboard pieces you can see will be 1/4" thick (6mm) MDF, there will be more smaller struts & cross braces made out of clay & blended in. The main skin or top surface will average something like 1/4" thick (6mm) & there will be some thicker sections where the struts meet.

I still don't have a full plan in my mind as to exactly how this will be but I have a rough idea :D I'm working it out as I go along :)

Yes, I had imagined the same reasons. I thought Bob was a little lighter. That polyurethane density uses? Mine too is heavy,but it seems less of yours. Maybe it is due to the plastic layer? For the next,I thought of drowning volumes of polystyrene foam, leaving a 3 cm polyurethane external thickness.

Last edited:
Brilliant work on the base. Actually this entire build is brilliant, and as always thanks for posting the progress in such detail. Really fun thread to keep up with.
Have you thought about how you'll get the material into this mold once ready? Sorry if I missed it at some point earlier. The base core mold you're making is really nice and clean, just wondering how you'll attack it once it's ready for the casting. :)

David

Brilliant work on the base. Actually this entire build is brilliant, and as always thanks for posting the progress in such detail. Really fun thread to keep up with.
Have you thought about how you'll get the material into this mold once ready? Sorry if I missed it at some point earlier. The base core mold you're making is really nice and clean, just wondering how you'll attack it once it's ready for the casting. :)

David

Thanks Guy's :)

My plan for the pour will be to position the mould upside down (as it is in the above pic).
There will be vent holes in the up facing part of the mould at various points, these will be straight up & around 4-6mm in diameter & probably 2" (50mm) high. The pour spout will be a little higher & positioned in the centre of the mould.
The theory being that the pour spout will act a bit like a reservoir & force air out through the vents by the weight of the plastic & gravity. the pour will stop when the vents are filled with plastic. I expect I'll need to persuade some of the air out via some shaking & tapping of the mould & there will be a little wastage.

Fingers crossed it'll work :D

looks like a good plan. its a little bit similar to the moulds that are used for bronze casting. of course the metal is a little but heavier and the mould material normally is air permeable itself a little bit. but I think it could work pretty well. the bigger the pour spout will be, the more pressure you get, but the more material you waste unfortunately. good luck with the first cast

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back