Darksiders 2 Reaper Form Death - WIP

Glad to hear you're still around. Hope you're doing well after all that, sounds nasty.

Looking forward to seeing your continued progress.

great job on the pep-work its coming along nicely

Thanks, am really getting back into the project.

Glad to hear you're still around. Hope you're doing well after all that, sounds nasty.

Looking forward to seeing your continued progress.

Yeah, I had to take a hiatus, as I was waiting for better weather and also due to the infections and surgery, I wasn't really feeling up to building anything. I am doing fantastically now, thanks for asking. It was nasty...

And now... Look forward no further... forward for the forwardness is now here.

IMG_1095.JPGIMG_1096.JPGIMG_1097.JPG
Here are some pics of the base of the hand rigs. Simply a bit of guttering and an end cap for a large bore pipe. The weight isn't bad, and there is enough space in the end cap to puppeteer the fingers. Inside there is a wooden handle, sanded smooth and comfortable to grip. There is another strip of wood holding the eyehole screws for attaching the finger "tendon" elastic to.

IMG_1104.JPG
Me in my football pads and a black top I will be securing the ribs to, and the robes so they sit perfectly.
IMG_1126.JPG
The start of my scythe. I wasn't too happy with the size of the last one, so I did some alteration work and resized the image, now am hitting just over 4 foot for the blade length. Still a bit on the small side, but it's still rather large, and for transportation and carrying around all day, am happy to be a bit on the smaller side.

IMG_1133.JPG
Sketch up of my robes. They are rather crude, as I quickly knocked this sketch out at work. but the basic idea is there.

IMG_1134.JPG
Left arm with bracer, which still needs sanded down. I made an enclosure out of card, and wrapped the entire thing with masking tape. To this I will be adding a few layers of paper mache and forming a more hand shape before wrapping with strips or purple cloth.

I have the right bracer made, but am working on details and trim right now. Pics of that later.

IMG_1135.JPG
And the books, undergoing the PVA glue stage. I made the page lines by cutting a strip of wood the same thickness as the "pages" made cuts along the length with a saw, then slathered on some filler and used the wood to run down the filler, smoothing it out over the foam blocks, and leaving behind the raised streaks. They are currently on coat 3, so a few more on them before it's painting time. I have made the chains for both books too, they are hanging in the shed to get rid of the solvent smell from the primer. I plan on hitting them up with a gloss black, then a chrome with a light spray of an antique gold to give it a gold finish.

The weather has been pretty crappy the past few days, so no more coats on my pep pieces, yet. But that will come soon.

Really like the idea with the pipe ends for the hands. That'll look really good once you get the fingers on there as well.

Whereabouts did you get your foam for the scythe? Think I might need to pick up some myself. How do you plan to hold the weight of it with the hands or will it be mounted elsewhere?

Liking the effect you have for the ends of the books also. All looking great.

Thanks bud, the foam I got from B&Q for less than £6 a sheet they are found around the building supplies (plaster board and timber)

For the hands I have ordered some egg cups for a base for each finger let's hope it all fits lol

As usual, the pipe ends was a discovery while looking for a solution to the hand rig problem, again in B&Q

Update time!!!!

The books are now done. All chained up, though the chains need a spot of touch up and some links glued into place to sit right.

So here is a progress of the painting

IMG_1137.JPG
Without flash, but it really lets the gold pop, I think. I also went for a deep blue for the trim base. as I thought it would make the gold stand out better than the slightly lighter brown it seems to be in my reference pics.

IMG_1138.JPG
Same stage, but with flash.

IMG_1145.JPG
And once the pages were painted.

IMG_1147.JPG
And all chained up. The book on the right, the chains sit funny, so will have to glue them in place to sit right.

For the process...

First I primed the books with your standard grey primer. Then I gave them a few coats of nut brown.
For the trim base it was a couple coats of night blue, the gold bits got a coat of black gloss, a couple coats of chrome, not fully covering coats, I had streaks but I planned for that. Mostly I made sure to dampen the black at least. On top of the chrome I did a similar "streaky" couple coats of an antique gold and a quick brushing over of a bronze.

the chains got the same, but instead of a bronze brush coat I did a light spray of black to age the chains, any heavy blackened areas I gave a dry brushing of gold again just to dampen the black.

So, one bit done, barring the little touch ups. I plan to get the resined parts primed for filler tomorrow, probably the filler done too.

Ikras, I forgot to mention. I plan on hopefully having the scythe light enough the fingers will handle it, maybe with the aid of magnets. If not, I may just have the right hand secured in a grip on the scythe. Which would free up my fingers of that hand for such things as wing operation. I may actually do option two, as I don't plan on visiting stalls in this costume, so carrying the scythe permanent in one hand isn't going to be too much of a hassle. I am going to give my Shredder costume a bit of weathering and a few little upgrades and have that for part of the con (probably the Saturday morning, to get my wrist band and visit stalls early) head out for lunch and come back for the rest of the con in reaper costume.

After all, everyone loves Shredder.

I've got a trip to B&Q on the cards for sure now. See what goodies I can find.

Really liking the effect you've got on the books there as well. The chains look good too.

Sounds like a good plan with the hands. Never played with any of the material but I think you would have a hard time keeping it light enough to 'hold' and then also be able to get the wing stuff working. Then again, I may be underestimating magnet power. I think that option two would probably be your best bet as well.

Lower footprint costume to see the stalls is a good call too.

Holy hell it's been months!

I have been laid up with a bad back for a while, so my progress has been limited for a while, but better now and the ever looming deadline is really kicking me into getting this done.

Okay, well where am I at?

I have done a vast majority of the costume up till now, am basically left with the wings, one lantern, the top part of the robes and doing the finishing touches to the hand rigs and fixing them up. The buckle and a few odds and ends. but many of those little bits can be done in a matter of days, now I have my belt done. Now I can use wear it and get the right drop for my top robes, My hand rigs are almost done getting painted, so the assembling of them will be soon. I have made my stilts, I was going to go for clear perspex, but when I priced it all, it was going to cost in the region of £120 for all the materials. And that's only if I got it right the first time. Any mistake would just increase the cost. Instead I opted for wooden stilts and painted them black. Much cheaper option. I may go for the see through ones in the future, as I plan on improving this costume after comiccon, as misfortumes have hampered my progress, and since am teaching myself stuff through-out this process, I will want to refine areas that I have either rushed, or not done 100% correctly. Also since the bulk of the cost will already be dealt with, I will have much more free monies to get the fancy stuff I have to make do without right now.

Leaving basically the resining to get finished. While I am doing the wings, I will be getting the scythe worked on, it's not a requirement for comiccon, in fact it may make things easier without it, but if I manage to get it finished in time great, if not... next year baby!

Okay so on with some pictures.
IMG_1164.JPGIMG_1166.JPGIMG_1169.JPGIMG_1175.JPGIMG_1177.JPGIMG_1178.JPG

Okay, here we have a painted shoulder, The reference pics have dull iron-looking spikes, but I like the gold and dark blue better.
Next the three stooges, as I have come to call them, with their pre-weathering coat of paint.
Then we have the right bracer, in this image it is not even glued together, it is now finished. Pics to come.
The next set of images are just more complete versions of my three stooges on their pikes. Also my fingers all painted up.

I will be taking pictures of everything I have finished this coming weekend. Hopefully some test fitting pics too.

Till then
Peace!

Okay, the wings got messed up and trashed. The resin didn't set right and it really wasn't fixed up right in blender before the pep stage, so yeah, next year for those.

I have two things left to do, attach the pauldron and attach the skirt of the robes to the belt, Good thing too, only two more days I can do anything before comiccon..

I have one adjustment I want to make on my shredder costume, and that will be a simple 5 minute job. Have already given the whole thing a weathered metal look, and It looks pretty smart now. I have also secured one of the insides of a hard hat, the thing that fits on your head to secure the hard hat, I have put that in my helmet, so now I can turn my head and the helmet will turn too. Improvement! Like the batsuit lol

I will have both costumes finished by tomorrow, giving me friday free to finally relax and make sure I have everything packed.

Maybe pictures tomorrow. Maybe will wait till after comiccon lol.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back