Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

guys, do you think they changed the designs of the trooper armor a little to avoid any kind of legal action from the pervious prop shop? didnt pinewood make all the armor? or was it just the weapons?

if they DID make the armor as well, with them going under, i wonder if they do have any kind of legal action they could take if the new prop shop copied their armor exactly?

I doubt it since the armor was clearly done for Lucas/Disney as a project for commission and I think that at most the prop shop would have rights to show it off as part of their portfolio but all rights otherwise would almost certainly belong to Lucas/Disney as they're the ones who commissioned the work in the first place as well as owing the rights to anything and everything Star Wars. It would sort of be like Hasbro(?) suing some other toy company for making Star Wars toys if they had gone under or just lost the rights to the Star Wars toy line. I think that this is the way things like this normally work, if a studio approaches a shop to makes props and/or costume the products made and their rights belong to the studio unless something else was negotiated differently but the only time I could see that happening is if it's a small production and in order to save money they contract a shop to make the props and/or costumes but for a reduced price the shop gets to keep them after filming.

I doubt it since the armor was clearly done for Lucas/Disney as a project for commission and I think that at most the prop shop would have rights to show it off as part of their portfolio but all rights otherwise would almost certainly belong to Lucas/Disney as they're the ones who commissioned the work in the first place as well as owing the rights to anything and everything Star Wars. It would sort of be like Hasbro(?) suing some other toy company for making Star Wars toys if they had gone under or just lost the rights to the Star Wars toy line. I think that this is the way things like this normally work, if a studio approaches a shop to makes props and/or costume the products made and their rights belong to the studio unless something else was negotiated differently but the only time I could see that happening is if it's a small production and in order to save money they contract a shop to make the props and/or costumes but for a reduced price the shop gets to keep them after filming.

i was just thinking of the guy in the UK who originally made the armor for ANH and sued lucas film

Star Wars pretty much changed these deals in the 70's if it hadn't starter by then already. When a production hires you to make things for them - even if it's 100% out of your own mind 'give a us a bad-ass gun' level of description - the studio/production company owns all rights to it's usage. Period. End of story. They only way around that is if the prop shop is so well known they can dictate terms giving them some or all the rights. In that case - all studio's these days will just go elsewhere.

They want to monetize everything these days. No way at all prop house gets any rights to the creations at all.

They changed the armour for one reason...they know that the fanboys will buy up any replica of a variant helmet with the slightest difference from the previous version. Very glad to have stopped collecting when I did. It's kind of amusing to me, now; watching collectors go after this stuff. Just so much of it today that none of it is "special" like it once was. Just a market flooded with plastic crap with little or no real value. But, that's why they change these things. Money. No other reason. That's all it is.

Sourdoh.
Disney bought Lucasfilm for pennies. Its going to make them a great many times more money than the $4billion the paid. It's already paid for itself. Everything else is gravy.

Simple cash cow economics. Make a Star Wars film for $200million. €100/150 for marketing? It comes back with over a billion.

That's a colossal markup. They will eventually drop the ball and make an ok film that we'll all be outraged by cos we expect too much from Star Wars but Joe public will to see in droves anyways even though it's dross(hello marvel movies. Started great. **** poor now). This will happen. I just hope it's not a saga film.

They changed the armour for one reason...they know that the fanboys will buy up any replica of a variant helmet with the slightest difference from the previous version. Very glad to have stopped collecting when I did. It's kind of amusing to me, now; watching collectors go after this stuff. Just so much of it today that none of it is "special" like it once was. Just a market flooded with plastic crap with little or no real value. But, that's why they change these things. Money. No other reason. That's all it is.
I disagree in this case. No doubt some decisions were made this way in the past (Clone Troopers).

The subtle First Order Stormtrooper changes 95%+ fans won't even notice or care. The OT had stormtrooper costume minor mods also.

The changes we're talking here will only be evident to a small number of people and appear in exactly one level of merchandise: Screen Accurate Prop Replicas.

I will additionally wager damn near anything that that market is so small in their grand scheme that it's not a single thought in their heads when making the movies. Toys? Possibly, but not for prop level stuff.

Plus, they are a whopping TWO movies into it with FOUR more to go and already have discussed the next Trilogy, so that's 9 total flicks right there. But back to the first part of that statement, the first TWO flicks have pulled in 3B at the box office and god knows how much in rentals and dvd sales. So, before even getting to the toys they're basically looking at turning a profit on the purchase with TLJ....BEFORE TOYS.

So, while they may have people picking over the frames to issue every last toy - i'm thinking that isn't something being done during filming and story. That was the prequels.

I disagree in this case. No doubt some decisions were made this way in the past (Clone Troopers).

The subtle First Order Stormtrooper changes 95%+ fans won't even notice or care. The OT had stormtrooper costume minor mods also.

I think again it's easier to pick on the Prequels. I really doubt they changed the Clonetroopers to sell more toys. It makes more sense to show a transition from Clones to Stormtroopers, than Stormtroopers to First Order Stormtroopers. In TFA they could easily have kept the regular Stormtrooper design like the EU did.

I don't have anything against JJ. I think he's a fine director and did a great job with TFA. Honestly, what is it that people don't like about JJ?
It seems to be the recurring complaint that they cloned A New Hope, but while I am not going to argue against certain pieces that pay homages, I don't agree that it was a clone and the film was wonderful.

There's always gonna be some base to take out and saber duels and story elements many films use. It was a great start point and really look forward to seeing what this unique story writer/director brings to Episode 8.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't have anything against JJ. I think he's a fine director and did a great job with TFA. Honestly, what is it that people don't like about JJ?

He likes to keep things "unexplained" but for no reason other than "lets keep it mysterious"

Complete and total deus ex machina

Things happens simply because they need to for the plot.

For example, The Falcon just happens to be on Jakku and fully functional. Then in all the vastness of space, Han Solo just happens to come across the ship he couldn't seem to find for 30 years.

I get that sometimes things happen only because they need, to, but the leaps and bounds are sometimes just too much

Then for no apparent reason a monster thrown in

Also, he isn't really doing anything all that innovative or new, basically just copying or rebooting what was done before

That being said, I don't hate everything he has done, but he is kind of like the Chinese food of film/tv. You are satisfied at fist, but then it quickly dissipates

That's how I felt with Force Awakens. At first it was really great, especially after the prequels, but then the more you watch it or think about it, it just doesn't satisfy.

All style, but when you start looking deeper, really no substance

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back