Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Watched Passengers yesterday, and it brought this memory to me:

Why is it that when there's a disaster of sorts, it always seems like it's JUST the right person for the job that's on hand? Oh no, this machine is broken! Good thing I'm an engineer!

True, but if you're familiar with the place the film claims to be set in the illusion is broken.
Film is also fiction (in this discussion). In the world of the movie, there ARE palm trees in Chicago and mountains in Florida.

It just isn't remotely practical to keep a film accurate to the nth degree about any particular real world location. No one notices except a few locals, and they are a tiny portion of the audience.

I love the fact that practically every planet they went to on SG1 looked like British Columbia.

Actually, I did love this. They even justified it and made jokes about it

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Why is almost every secondary character, that flies a plane or spacecraft, a cowboy or, at the very least, wear a cowboy hat?

Ripping a couple wires out of a steering column and hotwiring a car. A couple decades ago it was a little more believable, but now it's just lazy.

The funniest thing I've ever seen relating to hotwiring is in some cheap military themed movie where they recruited a bunch street kids to be part of some elite team and one of the kids was an expert car thief. In one scene this kid, in order to help facilitate his team's get away he quickly proceeds to hotwire a Humvee, a military issue Humvee. What's funny about this is that military tactical vehicles don't need keys to start, you just flip a switch to start them, it's actually a prank in the military to tell a new guy fresh from boot camp to go get the keys to the Humvee.

Ricochets. You hardly hear them in movies now, but you couldn’t make a movie where someone shot a firearm where you didn’t hear at least 2/3rds of every shot make the same, “TWAAAAAAAANG” sound!
How about movies filming somewhere completely opposite of where the movie is supposed to take place?
Anyone ever heard of the movie, “Something Wild”? It was Ray Liotta’s first big movie. They filmed all but the ends of the movie around my hometown in Florida, but taking place in the Northeast. Pine barrens standing in for Pennsylvania and Virginia? Not likely! They didn’t even change the signs, as the characters pull up to the “Appalachee Motor Lodge” without the sign being changed, a name clearly known to any resident of the Sunshine state. There was an Florida State University-marked large satellite antenna clearly shown going down the road. Still, it was cool that my Dad is the Civil War re-enactor that Jeff Daniels literally bumps into in the gas station scene, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIuuhtJM_Dw
The funniest thing I've ever seen relating to hotwiring is in some cheap military themed movie where they recruited a bunch street kids to be part of some elite team and one of the kids was an expert car thief. In one scene this kid, in order to help facilitate his team's get away he quickly proceeds to hotwire a Humvee, a military issue Humvee. What's funny about this is that military tactical vehicles don't need keys to start, you just flip a switch to start them, it's actually a prank in the military to tell a new guy fresh from boot camp to go get the keys to the Humvee.
I would have died laughing at that, too. They all had cable locks, though, so to make off with one, you only needed strong wire cutters or a way to pick a 5200-series government padlock.
Jeeps in WW2 were often stolen like that, so drivers would often yank the rotor out of the distributor if leaving one somewhere. People wised up to that early on, so plenty of sailors and paratroopers (who often stolen vehicles for their unit or ship use) would carry extra ones in their pockets. In “The Dirty Dozen” you see them doing that, the only movie I ever saw where it was shown being done.

That's pretty funny. I never really thought about military vehicles and keys.

Ripping a couple wires out of a steering column and hotwiring a car. A couple decades ago it was a little more believable, but now it's just lazy.

connect ignition wires: that would be OK
than strike it with cable to starter solenoid: OK, car would probably start
twist cable to solenoid to the ignition wires: starter would keep turnng and making a awefull noise till it burns out
nah, think its pointless mentioning the steering lock......

Must be the lawyers. If you show people how to steal a car in your movie or TV show, someone will to sue you later when their car gets stolen, asserting that you showed the crook how to do it and it wouldn't have happened otherwise.

buildings that are abandoned for decades and when someone flicks a switch all light work just fine and in case there where computers they boot perfect. erm, no
Ugh, I hated that about Jurassic World. The kids playing with the night vision goggles, and they still manage to turn on, after 20 years (battery acid corrosion, anybody?) Then they are able to fix a Jeep by switching out the battery from a golf cart. Nevermind the gasoline in it would have turned sour long ago. The only realistic part of that whole thing was Chris Pratt wondering aloud how they managed it all. Also. woodn't the matches in the younger kid's fanny pack have been useless after they jumped down a waterfall? Yeah, that movie is just littered with logical headaches.

There are lots of Youtube videos of abandoned buildings with the power still on. It's kind of surprising actually. I remember when I was a kid, we were messing around in an abandoned factory and flipped a big power switch. Stuff turned on and an alarm started going off. We ran like hell!

I hate when someone is doing something like playing a video game, yet the sound guys didn't go out of their way to add the right sound effects. I mean, you must have gotten the rights to show the game but not play the sounds.....maybe not, legal issues are such a mess now a days.
But other sounds as well that just don't fit compared to a real sound.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back