Starship Troopers Reboot Coming

I like "Johnny and the Bug-Men" as something set in the Aliens-verse, with the Federal troops being Colonial Marines. I point to it as what Hudson is talking about when he asks "Is this gonna be a stand-up fight? Or just another bug-hunt?" And I always love Darth Doogie.

...But, yes, I'm still waiting for Starship Troopers, with power armor and sociopolitical commentary and a Filipino main character.

--Jonah

I like "Johnny and the Bug-Men" as something set in the Aliens-verse, with the Federal troops being Colonial Marines. I point to it as what Hudson is talking about when he asks "Is this gonna be a stand-up fight? Or just another bug-hunt?" And I always love Darth Doogie.

...But, yes, I'm still waiting for Starship Troopers, with power armor and sociopolitical commentary and a Filipino main character.

--Jonah
I felt sick when the Verhoven film completely dispensed with the power armor. It was said that the budget only allowed for either cool tech or cool bugs, not both.

I want my power armor!

I also want a film that conveys some sense of tactics and strategy. That ought to be basic to any war film. Verhoeven's movie didn't seem to do that at all. There was just infantry going on random hunts out in the open. Bugs pup up and stand your ground using small arms within 25 yards. There was organization or support. I liked almost everything else about the movie but the action wasn't one of them.

--Jonah

Well, you can get 2 out of 3 of those in the anime...

I felt sick when the Verhoven film completely dispensed with the power armor. It was said that the budget only allowed for either cool tech or cool bugs, not both.

I want my power armor!

I also want a film that conveys some sense of tactics and strategy. That ought to be basic to any war film. Verhoeven's movie didn't seem to do that at all. There was just infantry going on random hunts out in the open. Bugs pup up and stand your ground using small arms within 25 yards. There was organization or support. I liked almost everything else about the movie but the action wasn't one of them.

That's what bothered me the most about the movie. Fine, get rid of the power armor because you don't have the budge to do them, but at least try to make things seem plausible by having the troops use realistic tactics and strategies. If they don't have power armor then how about combined arms, where's the (regular) armor, arty, and air support? The way they presented things with squads of infantry doing full mag dumps to take down just one bug it's a wonder that the bugs haven't overrun all of Earth's colonies/worlds and are ready to land on Earth itself.
I always thought Dina Meyer was the best part.:D

I certainly liked her better than Denise Richards and I wished they killed her off instead. I wonder, what ever happened to Dina Meyer anyway? She never really made it big after Starship Troopers did she? Sure, she did Birds of Prey but she seemed to kind of disappear after that, which is a pity because I always liked her.

If you are ever wondering what happened to an actor, and are not to lazy to look, just go to IMDB and look them up. Dina is there with her whole filmography ...

Yeah, watching it now you think of the tactics, but I love that freaking movie. Ironside is awesome, the dialogue is fun, and yeah, Dina Meyer was such a babe! I love that movie. Cant movies just be fun? I mean cmon, it was a check your brain at the door commentary by Paul Verhoven. Not everything he does is going to be a masterpiece like Robocop. Besides I heard the book is boring as hell.

But yeah its going to suck mega Klendathu tanker ass.

If you are ever wondering what happened to an actor, and are not to lazy to look, just go to IMDB and look them up. Dina is there with her whole filmography ...

I know all about IMDB and Wikipedia, but it was more of a rhetorical question than anything.

Besides I heard the book is boring as hell.

The book is, in my opinion, quite good and the movie only barely scratches the surface of it. While it's pretty short it does go into much more detail about the world, in general, than the movie does and doesn't have any of the Fascist overtones of the movie. In the book there's no Dizzy, or Doogy Houser, and Carmen is barely in it, but in return you get much more focus on Rico and his training as well as the Mobile Infantry.

Yeah, watching it now you think of the tactics, but I love that freaking movie. Ironside is awesome, the dialogue is fun, and yeah, Dina Meyer was such a babe! I love that movie. Cant movies just be fun? I mean cmon, it was a check your brain at the door commentary by Paul Verhoven. Not everything he does is going to be a masterpiece like Robocop. Besides I heard the book is boring as hell.

But yeah its going to suck mega Klendathu tanker ass.

Me, too, I love this movie. :) I like the book too and wouldn't mind seeing that version this time because nothing can match the Verhoeven camp and satire.

Dina Meyer = Romulan Commander in Star Trek Nemesis. Still Smokin hot. The book was written during Heinlein's Social commentary period, some good and some dreck. Fact is,is that in the book we are involved in a 2 front war. Front 1 The Bugs. Front 2 The Skinnies, a humanoid race. My favorite part were the "Psychological" Weapons we used on the skinnies. Lob a grenade in a building and it says in their language "I am a 20 second bomb. I am a 20 second bomb, I will detonate in 19, 18, 17..."

Me, too, I love this movie. :) I like the book too and wouldn't mind seeing that version this time because nothing can match the Verhoeven camp and satire.

Highfive!
Riceball Yeah, but you know how movies only have so much time and character development and blah blah blah. Besides, with Verhoeven and his ideas of fascism considering his background, I thought it was great. The propoganda pieces were killer, I remember when I was younger seeing it and thinking "oh man what if the world was like that". If they released that in theaters I would see it again.

Now the sequels. ***** god those were awful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oddly enough the CGI sequel cartoon was better than the movies. Honestly the closest thing to the novel we've gotten is the 1980s anime and it was never put out over here, it even had proper power armor in it.

I've never read the book, I liked the movie, and I wouldn't mind a good reboot. :) IMO the dumbest thing was in the third movie where you have to get butt naked to use the power armor suits. WTH? I mean as a male viewer it makes perfect sense for the female soldiers, but c'mon!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back