Alginate Question(s)

2DProjects

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have two questions about alginate.

I'm going to be doing a lifecast (head) in two weeks and have been making sure I have all of the supplies that I need. While doing this, I realized that I still have alginate left over from the last time I made some casts, about 1.5 years ago, and was wondering if it is still good. The box says limited self life but when I was doing some research online, I came across this study. So, I wondered if anyone here had any experience or advice.

My second question is, admittedly, a little bit stupid but I wanted to make sure. Is there any difference alginate from different companies? In the past, I have stuck with Smooth On products but I was at a local art store and saw that they sold alginate by "The Casting Kit Company". By volume, the price is a bit better because I don't have to pay for/deal with shipping. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance. :)

You'll have to mix up a little test batch of your alginate to see how it is. Sometimes moisture in the air will have gotten to it and it'll be lumpy when you mix it up, or it might take longer to set. It might still be useable in either case. You'll just have to see how it is.

There are definitely different qualities of alginate out there. One thing to keep in mind about stuff at an art store is it might have been sitting on the shelf for a very long time.

There's loads of different alginates out there, best to stick with a prosthetic grade from a reputable company and always test it before use if it's a new container or old batch.

You're putting something on another human's head, not the time to skimp. Especially if you're doing it professionally, you may be liable if there's reaction.

I did life casts back in the 70s with Moulage, talk about walking a fine line. I know people who used dental alginate in a pinch and the peppermint burned the subject's eyes.

Art store stuff could be strictly for sculpture repo, not meant for skin.

I cant stand Smooth ons alginates, most of their products are superb, but man, skip their alginates. I have used accucast stuff from 3 years ago, and living in a dry climate, it worked beautifully. My favorite brand is genesis X, its a prosthetic grade creme.

Smooth ons body double silicone is great, its just super expensive, and you kind of need a lot of it because you have to build up the layers. If you have deep pockets, go for it. Otherwise I would go for the Genesis X and gypsona bandages.

Silicones, Inc. in North Carolina has a lifecasting silicone that i regularly use - XP-541. About $150 for a gallon kit as opposed $231!
XP-541 is a bit more viscous than BD especially for the beauty coat so i thin the first coat with silicone fluid.
Other than that XP-541 is great!!

Silicones, Inc. in North Carolina has a lifecasting silicone that i regularly use - XP-541. About $150 for a gallon kit as opposed $231!
XP-541 is a bit more viscous than BD especially for the beauty coat so i thin the first coat with silicone fluid.
Other than that XP-541 is great!!

Smooth-On's 'gallon kit' is basically 2 gallons at 18 lbs. Is the XP-541 actually a gallon or larger?

20170418_135612.jpg
I had forgotten the mix ratios. BD 1:1, the XP-541 is 10:1- 9lbs base and 1lbs activator for $143.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back