Rogue One Rebel trooper ID thread

To fill the vest I got a length of 40mm black pipe from DIY shop and then just cut it down to fit. I plan to just try regular acrylic paint and mask off and airbrush several layers.

OK. i got my French triple grenade pouch today...now for my question...the two long straps used to tie it down on your thigh i presume...did you guys cut them off? or use them?

Working on the A300 for the topps trooper

Untitled v24.png

first of all thank you for all the information, that you guys already put together.

I USED to troop with my DV costume many years ago, but lost interest at some point. With the R1 rebel troopers, I found a potential -enjoyable and somewhat comfortable- costume to wear for future events...at least I want to give it a try ;)

My goal is not to recreate a specific character seen on screen, but a generic rebel trooper. This will give me the chance to mix´n´match costume parts :thumbsup

I have the sourced the Gorka, purchased the scarf, belt and triple grenade pouches. Have a R1´ish blaster in the planning stages.
Still trying to find suitable shoes/ boots (need size ~13), eventually the M79 vest and the other pouches attached to the PLCE roll pin belt.

Any idea where to find a M79 in europe in size LARGE (only see them in MEDIUM or SMALL)? I am 1,96m tall with a 1,25m chest. Am afraid of the "medium" vest being too small, even if you guys wrote it´d be adjustable and "should" fit all sizes...

Also can not find any of the 58 style pouches...

thx in advance gentlemen

Last edited:
Any idea where to find a M79 in europe in size LARGE (only see them in MEDIUM or SMALL)? I am 1,96m tall with a 1,25m chest. Am afraid of the "medium" vest being too small, even if you guys wrote it´d be adjustable and "should" fit all sizes...

Also can not find any of the 58 style pouches...

thx in advance gentlemen
The Flak Vest is best searched on the US eBay site under Fragmentation Vest - Most are medium but there are a number of large sizes available. The problem is the large tend to go for $100 + and the shipping to you will be a bit much. I am 6ft with a 44" chest and I have a medium. It sits open on me a bit but this does not seem uncommon on the number of pictures I have seen. When you choose to dye it the RIT Dye More and iDyePoly work great with the stovetop method to get a great dark blue color.

There is a UK seller on eBay USA that has a number of Pattern 58 pouches.- eagleclaw-tactical brokenarrow1971

The Flak Vest is best searched on the US eBay site under Fragmentation Vest - Most are medium but there are a number of large sizes available. The problem is the large tend to go for $100 + and the shipping to you will be a bit much. I am 6ft with a 44" chest and I have a medium. It sits open on me a bit but this does not seem uncommon on the number of pictures I have seen. When you choose to dye it the RIT Dye More and iDyePoly work great with the stovetop method to get a great dark blue color.

There is a UK seller on eBay USA that has a number of Pattern 58 pouches.- eagleclaw-tactical brokenarrow1971

I went with a frag vest cover instead of tearing up an actual vest. I made some foam inserts to give it the look of having substance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252705849790?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The consensus seems to be that most of the rebel suits are Russian Gorka 4 Bars brand Anorak (Pullover) BDU's. The Gorka 3's zip all the way down in the front while the 4 is a pullover with a kangaroo pouch.
The differences between what we've seen in pictures and the 4's seem to be in the coloration of the flap on the front, which is darker on most of the off-the-shelf 4's, and the length, which may be explained away by them being a few sizes larger on the actors than what soldiers would usually wear (some actors have rolled up sleeves, etc.) or they aren't tied off at the waist.
There are some available on Amazon but most are from Russia with ETA's right on or past the release date of Rogue One.
Has anyone been able to find a US based retailer for these? I'm looking for probably the biggest size they make.

I also haven't seen any talk about the belts. Specifically, the Topps card Vietnam looking guy.
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/...8471760_7911357525070183467_n_zpsz26nhvwm.jpg

And just for the heck of it, he is wearing what appears to be a black scrim / mesh scarf here. They are about $10 on Amazon.
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/...ding-cards-_-rebel-solider-06_zpsfnwwhqii.jpg

I finally decided to go this route and build a costume with the grenade carrying vest, helmet etc.
But looking at the undersuit again, I don´t think it is a Gorka! The Gorka 4 is indeed similar and shows a lot of the features of this Rebel troopers suit, BUT details are totally different (seams, placement of pockets etc.). So the search goes on :(

Besides of that...the Gorka 4 is not available for anybody larger than 1,92m with a bigger chest. Tried several vendors and asked, what size would fit me best...all of them referred me to the Groka 4 not being made to my size :/

Next are the shoes...have a size 13. What are you guys recommending?

Many thanks :thumbsup

Goff was right.:thumbsup

That second vest is a Y harness style at least on a few of them.

There are a few pix on Screencaps.com

Goff was right.:thumbsup

That second vest is a Y harness style at least on a few of them.

There are a few pix on Screencaps.com
Guys outstanding work...
I've been researching and collecting my parts and was wondering if anyone has identified the "Y harness vest?" I thought I saw somewhere that it was actually a flotation device not a flak jacket for this one. Any leads will be greatly appreciated!

Personally, I'm under the impression that it's a custom work. The whole costume is very similar to the Hoth trench trooper. The "Y harness vest" as we're calling it is actually intended to carry those hard square radio backpacks the Rebels use. The pack frame hangs off of the hardware on each shoulderblade.

IMG_5404_zpsbd8ac66e.jpg

Hoth04.jpg
HothTrenches2.jpg

rogue-one-movie-screencaps.com-13081.jpg

Pao uses the hardpack on Scarif.
Pao.jpg

Squad leader Melshi carries an interesting half variant of the pack on a sling for his radio needs.
tumblr_oim6ufrBUO1uk3u86o1_1280.jpg

Interesting to note that the data cable backpack that Bohdi uses is the same hardpack, with the top box replaced with the cable spool, so the Imperials must use them as well, unless the Rebels brought it from Yavin and were uncannily prepared:
rogue-one-movie-screencaps.com-12592.jpg

Last edited:
That's awesome, Kievan. Thank you so much! I was brooding over the vest question for a while now - and there I go! Startet right away. Anybody got an idea, where to get the life support adapters on the vest's lower right front? They are the same as on the rebel "box" backpacks at Hoth and Endor.

Im swamped at work at the moment but I have ripped the files from battlefront and need to remake them at a higher resolution to be fit for RL. You can see the rips a few pages back of the life support box.

They have done such a fantastic job of bringing old into new-old. I love R1

Im swamped at work at the moment but I have ripped the files from battlefront and need to remake them at a higher resolution to be fit for RL. You can see the rips a few pages back of the life support box.

They have done such a fantastic job of bringing old into new-old. I love R1

I have done a bit of sewing, but still need some parts of an old WW1 british webbing, which will be delivered next week, so I can complete the back. But it has come away nicely.
17968900_1866503023375972_784187215_o.jpg

So whatever everyone doing for the troopers who wear the hoth style belt buckle?

Theres a seller on etsy who has 3D printed but they'd have to be modded for the plce belt

Blank metal 2" buckles at Tandy leather also, and for the cheap.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back