The Star-Lord/Peter Quill Sling Bag thread

They're not something like this with just the tops hammered flat, are they?

snaps.jpg

Unfortunately, no, they're pretty distinctive. The biggest difference being that the bottom side doesn't have a border around the nub, it's just a smaller piece.

And Zlurpo, the smallest of the three round items on the bag is a specially shaped rivet. I'm pretty sure I found them, but I'm going to wait until they come in to post so I don't steer anybody the wrong way. The snaps are the more prominent issue, though.

The snaps that cover literally everything in the movie. There are two sizes on the bag and the vest and the larger ones are on his pants, short jacket, and trench coat.

Oh, I have tons of pictures I haven't posted, they're just blurry and washed out because of the reflections on the glass. Here's what I've got. I've marked the sizes. Only one snap on each side of the action pleat is functional, the other one is just a decorative top. The only place anywhere on the jacket where the bottom half is normally visible is at the top and bottom of the zipper storm flap.

The under side of the top half is a ring that fits around the bottom half, which is half the diameter of the top half. The biggest differences between these and a standard line 24 snap are the complete lack of rounded edges and the magnets.

I didn't do anything to it actually. It came that way.

This is the 40mm Carbon Steel buckle. I ordered a couple different ones just to see the differences.

The silver one is the 45mm Stainless.

I also got a 45mm Carbon Steel buckle w/adjuster since it didn't come standard. The only real difference between the 45mm and 40mm on the female is the plastic insert. The male piece is actually wider though.

20140926_001805.jpg

20140926_001820.jpg

20140926_002257.jpg

20140926_002320.jpg

The biggest differences between these and a standard line 24 snap are the complete lack of rounded edges and the magnets.

I've asked a Europe-based acquaintance that works with these kinds of things in the film industry and he said he would look into it. One thing I'm wondering however is how certain we can be about the magnet-thing. I've seen one closeup image of the top inside snap that suggests there is a ridge on the inside lip, as if it were a traditional snap, but wider. (A magnet would only need a straight lip.)

There's also a good chance that most of these things were sourced in Europe, which means they are likely gauged in the metric system, so searching for them using millimeters as a guide might be useful.

You can search as you see fit. The line 20/24 thing is universal. As for the lip, I've seen what you're talking about on the trench coat and I think that's more of a ridge at the bottom of the space to keep the bottom piece centered without the entire thing being that tight. Otherwise you couldn't be able to get it to fit together easily. The bottom half has no matching features to lock into a regular snap type lip, it's completely straight sided.

Making some progress on my bag . . .

I cut out a piece of leather from the jacket for the back of the bag:
20140926_232629.jpg

Here it is flipped over with the canvas bag I'll be using for a base:
20140926_232828.jpg

And with some parts loosely laid out:
20140927_001246.jpg

w/flash:
20140927_001258.jpg

That looks epic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back