Greedo Blaster Discussion

Thanks MJF for the offer but I think I have enough info to get this done. Sorry guys wasn't able to work on this over the weekend. Will see what I can do in the next couple of days.

Here is what I came up with for the rear site so that is should fit into the airsoft dovetail.

The width is 16.865 mm (.8664") X 12.433 mm (.490") long. This is also designed hollow & I am thinking that the polished gray metallic or polished white would be suitable.

If you think there are any mods that would need to be done let me know.

Going to work on the barrel next.

Attachments

• REAR_SIGHT_MKII_AIRSOFT.jpg
    REAR_SIGHT_MKII_AIRSOFT.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 110
Here is what I came up with for the barrel. This is a mash up of the info everyone has provided & scaling a few of the photos.

The end that fits onto the gun is .875" diameter by .500". The overall length is 2.875" so that the end will be flush with the Tomtit piece. I made the taper so that the Tomtit piece should sit at a .750" distance from the .875" diameter by .500" flange. The end tapers to .510" outside diameter with a .354" inside diameter. There is the key way slot (.125") & a hole to be tapped for a 1/4-20 set screw. The inside diameter is ..505" to fit on the post on the airsoft pistol.

Would like some input to if I need to change anything on this.

Attachments

• BB_SLEEVE_RKKII_2014.jpg
    BB_SLEEVE_RKKII_2014.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 104
I think 1/4-20 is too big for the set screw. The one on the Airsoft is tiny, I'll look at it when I get home.

That is easily changed. Just took a stab at it. Probably something like a 5-40 or 6-32.

I am wondering about the overall length as well.

The length is something that should be discussed because I would like to know what the general consensus is about the amount of barrel length visible between the fatter stepped piece to the point it enters the Tomtit part.

When I look at the pictures, the area in question looks to be about 2x the size of the fat step of the barrel.

I am going to go by my measurements for the sake of this example. You would have to modify based on your findings. So...

The fat step section is .5" but .05" is inside the main body of the pistol leaving only .45" visible. So my estimates is the taper part of the barrel is .9" (,45" x2) and the length of the barrel inside the tomtit part is .66"

.05 + .45 + .9 + .66 = 2.06" length

That's just my half ass assessment.

As far as the set screw, I was originally planning on just glueing the barrel on but I would be up for tapping a hole for a set screw. But like Dann said, the original one on the airsoft is very very tiny. I guess so that it almost looks invisible. Not saying it has to be the same size but smaller would be better.

Last edited:
Here are a few scaled drawings that I used. There seems to be some discrepancies in them, but that could all be based of different angles & such or were there 2 different versions of the gun. Scaling photos only gets you so close.

I scaled these off of known dimensions as much as possible. It is a little difficult to get close with the blurry photos though. Feel free to give input if I have some of the dimensions incorrect on the known pieces.

Does the barrel go all the way through the Tomtit piece?

Attachments

• image-2_Dimension.jpg
    image-2_Dimension.jpg
    980.9 KB · Views: 172
  • image-7_Dimension.jpg
    image-7_Dimension.jpg
    848.1 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1813_Dimension.jpg
    IMG_1813_Dimension.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 209
Does the barrel go all the way through the Tomtit piece?

Good question.

In the original state, the Tomtit part is hollow except for a thin wall toward the center. My original model and discussion points are based off a build where i simply place the tomtit part on the end of the barrel without modifying the the part. Chris (lonepigion) is confident the piece sticking out the end of the tomtit part is an older more elongated version of the turntable part used for the cone shape on Boba Fett's boots (see http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=201887&page=5&p=3393847&viewfull=1#post3393847). Not sure how he knows that but I have no reason to doubt him. Here is the front angle shot http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=365573&d=1408574897 ...If true, that piece seems long enough to where it would go pass the inner wall.

However, no one really seems to know about the construction of this prop. I think the Ruger body was cast, or cast and recast (at some point prior to a cast, the trigger guard was built up for stability... maybe). they took the cast and at some random point on the barrel, cut it. Remember... I don't know anything so you may want to disregard my theory.

FYI: The total length of the Tomtit part is 1.585".

Here is what I was going to use for the end of the barrel:

It is the end of the airsoft's bull barrel, flipped around. Not sure how close to accurate it is, but it looked good.

Question, is there one version of the prop where something does protrude from the tomtit part and one version of the prop where it does not?

If you do decide to do a full length barrel, could you also offer one that is truncated so that it sets in the tomtit part without having to drill a hole. The same with a muzzle end.

Attachments

• IMG_1815.jpg
    IMG_1815.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_1814.jpg
    IMG_1814.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
And I'm seeing something different in the cylinder cover over the ejection port. Don't see the reducers. Almost looks like a short piece of t track or something, with something longer extending towards the barrel? Maybe just a reflection.

Okay, now I see what you are talking about. You can tell by the hands that version of the pistol is seen when Greedo (Maria) is sitting at the table and you see his mouth moving and the finger is over the trigger guard.

So Markus you might have to find yourself another Ruger Mk1. :p

lucas+and+maria+de+aragon.jpg

Last edited:
Talking of blurry pictures, here are the screenshots I got from ANH

Sorry they're not better but thought I may as well post them in case they're any use to anyone :lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 132
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 133
Talking of blurry pictures, here are the screenshots I got from ANH

Sorry they're not better but thought I may as well post them in case they're any use to anyone :lol

So based on my theory, these pictures would be the version we are basically trying to build. This is based on the version of Greedo (Paul) with the skinny suction cup fingers under the trigger guard. The one Dann pointed out with the T-track(?) in the injector area is the one Greedo (Maria) holds with the bulky hands and the finger covering the trigger guard.

Making another leap of speculation. I do think the props are the same and the main body cast in resin. Because original trilogy is resin, it was able to be transported in and out of the US and not an issue like Solo's blaster... plus, LFL didn't own the hero.. right? My theory is that pieces of the prop fell or broke off and were replaced with other parts. The reason I think it is the same prop is because of how much detail the two have in common and based on how much the really didn't care that the Hero and the GK looked identical, I hardly think they would put that much effort into Greedo's blaster details... hell they did not even try to match his hands.

uploadfromtaptalk1410569432961.jpguploadfromtaptalk1410569445813.jpg

Honestly, there may not be any sort of riser on the real prop. From some angles it looks like the push rod at the rear tilts up slightly, where it rests on the rear sight.

You can see from my photos that I thickened my trigger guard. I may take it even further, to get that odd shape that the prop has.

Last edited:
MJF, I can send you the part that connects the push rod if you want. Made one up real quick from aluminum. I shoved a couple threaded rods into the push rods, and wrapped them in tape. I can also include an .080" wire if you'd rather drill trough the rods making it all one piece.uploadfromtaptalk1410793221016.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back