Multi-use Armor: Warrior Hawkgirl and Wonder Woman

Super slow progress! My brother just decided that he and his girlfriend are coming along to the Nashville Comic Con, so now I've got a Gambit and Rogue added to the list - one month away!

Anyway, made a skirt last night for Wonder Woman - sewn from a cotton bed sheet, painted with silver/black/blue acrylic paint.
photo(3).JPG

As well, I someone asked how I made my sword from paint stirrers. I apologize for the poor photo quality, but hopefully it's good enough to get the point across!
photo(2).JPG

You will need!
- two heavy-duty, extra-large stirrers from Lowe's
- two small, classic paint stirrers
- wood glue
- newspaper
- wood filler
- pvc/dowel/other rod-shaped thing

- utility knife or other sharp carving implement
- sanding implement

1. Acquire paint stirrers! For the body of the blade I used two heavy-duty, extra-large stirrers from Lowe's (about 2 feet long, 1.5 inches wide, and 0.25 inches thick), oriented side-by-side to give the blade a 3-inch width. This will be fortified with two small, typical paint stirrers, one on each side of the blade.

2. I used wood glue to fix the two LARGE stirrers together, then "paper mache'd" them by running a strip of newspaper, dampened with woodglue, down the length of the blade, over the "seam."

3. The new large blade was carved to shape and beveled with a utility knife (the large stirrers were wonderfully soft). Then, each small stirrer was also carved to match the shape of the blade. This was glued on top of the larger blade, one on each side, and clamped into place.

4. Once the glue dried, I shaped everything up with a little jitterbug sander, and carved a channel down the center of the small stirrer portion of the blade for detail. I then ran a bead of wood putty down the channel and pulled the excess out with my finger (to give it a smooth, indented look). Wood putty was also used around the edges of the small stirrer and smoothed out to the edges of the main blade - to create a long bevel from the thick center to thin edge.

5. The whole thing was sanded smooth and covered in ~4 layers of Titebond woodglue. I sprayed the blade down with some off-brand silver paint, added details with black and silver acrylics, and covered the whole thing in 2-3 layers of Modge Podge for protection.

I didn't have the patience to prime/sand/prime/sand/etc., but this would likely do wonders for the paint job. But, it looks good enough for me.

Also, the hilt is made from a short length of PVC with a notch cut down it's length, and the cross-guard is sculpted from excess Worbla and some brass brads, and pommel from excess Worbla and a golf ball.

All of the blade could have easily been done with a nice length of balsa wood, but I'm cheap and liked the challenge.

Holy smokes that is coming together quick! I like your design and the way you're using magnets to make it interchangeable. That sword is nuts, I can't believe you made it out of paint stirrers. And I know what you mean about the animal helpers. My bulldogge likes to help by bringing me paintbrushes and rolls of painters tape, except somehow she always runs past me with them and out into the yard. :-/

And I know what you mean about the animal helpers. My bulldogge likes to help by bringing me paintbrushes and rolls of painters tape, except somehow she always runs past me with them and out into the yard. :-/

Thank you! And bulldog knows best, obviously.

Last edited:
So, I've slowed down with Wonder Woman to focus a bit on this: http://www.therpf.com/f78/budget-build-gambit-rogue-four-weeks-223433/#post3415413

But next in line is to sew a bodysuit, arm/leg "protectors" (like long gloves or socks), and and maybe tights. It's either bare-legged (probably not), or I'll wear some fishnets over leggings and blast myself with spray paint to create a scale effect. Then I just need to paint my rope and build a scabbard!

I'm shooting to be done before the end of September, so I can focus on Hawkgirl's wings and helmet over Winter.

Mid-build preview. There was a Humane Society benefit/cosplay contest in town (random?), so I took the armor out for a spin - and won 250 bucks! So, this little endeavor has now been paid for.

A shot in the venue:

photo 3.JPG

Obviously the dumpster area of a diner is the best location for a Wonder Woman photoshoot. I definitely need to work on a new camera face.

image(1).jpeg

I think the blue tights actually turned out pretty well - and match the shoes perfectly. So I've got some fishnets to wear over them as a painting pattern, to give them a more defined look.

Attachments

• photo(10).JPG
    photo(10).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 330
Came out great! The three-dimensional detail you put together is fantastic. And congrats on the win! I'm sure the costume was reward enough for your work, but a little extra cash never hurt either.

Wow!! The costume is awesome. I am always amazed by the classic heroes reinvented and realized on this board. It's one thing to copy a costume, but it's a whole different talent to redesign it and still capture the essence of the character. Just incredible work!!!

Came out great! The three-dimensional detail you put together is fantastic. And congrats on the win! I'm sure the costume was reward enough for your work, but a little extra cash never hurt either.

You're right, the costume is reward enough, but it really doesn't hurt to have it "paid off"!

Wow!! The costume is awesome. I am always amazed by the classic heroes reinvented and realized on this board. It's one thing to copy a costume, but it's a whole different talent to redesign it and still capture the essence of the character. Just incredible work!!!

Thank you! And I think that's my favorite part. It's easier for me to create something new and different, than drive myself crazy over recreating exact detail. Just not something I'm good at.

Thank you both!

I have trouble adding attachments on my phone, but I did find some pictures in our newspaper! The photographer was quite sneaky; I had no idea those were being taken.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 218
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 221
I hesitate to call it progress, but I made some adjustments to the bracers. I lost my stars a half-dozen times during that costume contest, so I've added some vinyl strips to wrangle them. Now, if they're bumped off, they'll at least stay contained.

image.jpg

Three days until I was hoping to get WW done! For the most part, she's completed, save for a few details. I managed part of the scabbard this weekend and hope to finish it up tonight. Made from craft foam and a piece of EVA floor mat:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    619.7 KB · Views: 166
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    606.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Sword nearly complete! I just need to add a few attachments on the scabbard and it's otherwise good to go. I finished up the hilt with some little Worbla triangles to mimic scales, and painted the scabbard last night.

Hilt detail:

photo 2.JPGphoto 1.JPG

Scabbard detail:

photo 3.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Finished sword:

photo 5.JPG

So, while our trip to Nashville was super brief and incredibly hurried, it was fun and fruitful! My brother and his girlfriend took an Honorable Mention at the costume contest for their Gambit and Rogue, and I scored Best Female Hero and a cash prize! I originally intended for this to be a multi-use costume, functioning as armor for WW and Hawkgirl (and maybe even a little Zelda armor) to save on money. But now that this costume has paid for itself, I'm considering a totally new design for Hawkgirl, rather than double-dipping on the armor! I just don't know...

The first few I stole from Wizard World's flikr:

15186741878_0df50ac56c_o.jpg 15196883647_8ee14b31fd_o.jpg

And while I liked the idea of the scale overlay on the tights in theory, it didn't work out quite as well in practice. The paint didn't take to the legging fabric and rubbed off throughout the day, leaving them a little splotchy-looking.

I have some more photos of this and our group on my camera that I need to download, but here're a few phone photos for good measure (including some of the back and scabbard):

Attachments

• IMG_2916.JPG
    IMG_2916.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 225
  • IMG_2929.JPG
    IMG_2929.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 187
  • IMG_2930.JPG
    IMG_2930.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Re: COMPLETED: Multi-use Armor: Warrior Hawkgirl and Wonder Woman

This costume is amazing - very inventive and creative.

I saw you at the Nashville Comic Con (I was the Captain America TFA) - congrats on the win. Looking forward to your next build.

Re: COMPLETED: Multi-use Armor: Warrior Hawkgirl and Wonder Woman

This costume is amazing - very inventive and creative.

I saw you at the Nashville Comic Con (I was the Captain America TFA) - congrats on the win. Looking forward to your next build.

No way! I'm loving the intersection between the RPF and real life - I'm finding that exists more and more.

That armor looks incredible, outstanding work.

Thank you! I'm really excited to start on another set of armor; I keep having to tell myself to slow down and get some real-life work done before diving back in.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back