Scaling The Mountain's Sword- Game of Thrones....Need help!

tubachris85x

Master Member
I am really going to need some help with scaling a sword. I'm having a wood artisan produce it for me, but I need to provide the dimensions/measurements etc. It's the sword carried by Gregor "the mountain."

Since I am only two inches shy of the actor's actual size of 6'9" (I'm 6'7") the sword will be almost close to true scale or at least based on reference, but I can even do true 1:1 scale if possible...But, based on the image of him standing with Cersei, I can guestimate that the top of the pommel should stand up just above nipple level, which would put it roughly at 5'1" or 61" in total length (for my height)

Since I am having this produced in a professional manner, and the cost of having it done....I do not want to screw up the proportions.

Based on some reference, it's clear that him holding it with one hand, that it can have a little over 2 of his hands on the grip, compared to me, that is approximately 9 1/2" long from the bottom of the guard/T-bar to the top of the pommel. In any case though, i need to make it all proportional...so that can change.

Here's some reference...

1912479_10202894930710126_5708215014184964470_o.jpg

10553700_10202894930350117_8104604229878413613_o.jpg

10504932_10202894930390118_7071845807957356959_o.jpg

The-Mountain-630x354.jpg

tumblr_muiqv8c0sf1r00l9eo1_500.jpg

If anyone is good at this or has software to aid in it..I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks...

-TC

I ran across an image from a display that had Gregor's sword close to Ice. After scaling the image so that Ice was 1:1 (57.5 inches), I determined that the Mountain's sword has a hilt that is 19 inches long from the Tip of the Pommel to the tip of the Guard. It's blade is 3.08 inches wide at it's emergence from the guard.

Hope this helps.

I ran across an image from a display that had Gregor's sword close to Ice. After scaling the image so that Ice was 1:1 (57.5 inches), I determined that the Mountain's sword has a hilt that is 19 inches long from the Tip of the Pommel to the tip of the Guard. It's blade is 3.08 inches wide at it's emergence from the guard.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!! How did you determine the sword's length? Was this info posted or available?

So the general consensus is that the overall sword's size is 5'4" long, so 64" long from tip to tip, but as you say, the hilt from T-bar to tip of pommel is 19", which leaves the blade at 3.08" at it's widest, with the blade itself being 45" long?

When you say the tip of the pommel, did you include the rod that sticks out the top? Or the pommel piece itself?

I found the display image that had both the swords, and I looked up Ice and it's official replica...
http://www.valyriansteel.com/shop/Game-of-Thrones/Ice-Sword-of-Eddard-Stark/prod_27.html

Once I had Ice's official dimensions, I used photoshop to take an image of both swords and scaled it up so that Ice was the proper scale. I then took the Mountain's sword and just measured the hilt, since it was bigger than Ice so it didn't fit in the whole image. I figured you were about right with the full length, since Lena Heady is 5'5" and the sword is a touch shorter than her.

That thing is a beast.

And yes, the measurement includes the Rod on top of the pommel

I found the display image that had both the swords, and I looked up Ice and it's official replica...
http://www.valyriansteel.com/shop/Game-of-Thrones/Ice-Sword-of-Eddard-Stark/prod_27.html

Once I had Ice's official dimensions, I used photoshop to take an image of both swords and scaled it up so that Ice was the proper scale. I then took the Mountain's sword and just measured the hilt, since it was bigger than Ice so it didn't fit in the whole image. I figured you were about right with the full length, since Lena Heady is 5'5" and the sword is a touch shorter than her.

That thing is a beast.

And yes, the measurement includes the Rod on top of the pommel

Ah! I didn't even think about using the replicas as a source of reference, so that was a smart thing to do. I would need to see how narrow the tip of the blade is though, but that might need to be done by hand.

Thank you so much for doing that...I hate to ask you again, but would you be able to tell me the length of the rod that sticks out is? Since I am having this made by a craftsman, I think that portion I will be adding on later once he finishes the sword itself!

Yea and I am still needing to get a sheath made lol

Ah! I didn't even think about using the replicas as a source of reference, so that was a smart thing to do. I would need to see how narrow the tip of the blade is though, but that might need to be done by hand.

Thank you so much for doing that...I hate to ask you again, but would you be able to tell me the length of the rod that sticks out is? Since I am having this made by a craftsman, I think that portion I will be adding on later once he finishes the sword itself!

Yea and I am still needing to get a sheath made lol

By my measurements, the nub at the end of the pommel is .84 inches, so just a hair over 3/4".

OK, so using the starting measurements from Ninlhil, I started drafting it all out in full scale.

I printed out that front-most picture, measured the length from the two points that are supposed to be 19" long. Took that, divided it by 19 and broke it down to make it a ruler "in scale" with the printed photograph. So, from that, I was able to determine pretty much all the other measurements. My first attempt on friday showed that I was underscaled, by the second time today appears much more accurate and proportionate...

10421223_10202962177871263_7301386365469028398_n.jpg

It's gonna be huge!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back