eFX TIE fighter at SDCC

There is a photo of the Harrier pilot in an earlier post - http://www.therpf.com/f10/efx-tie-fighter-sdcc-91735/index10.html#post2402644

Due to the way the thing is constructed, having optional pilots just wasn't.......an option. The canopy frame is glued in place and the rear hatch, though removable for changing the engine battery, doesn't allow access to the front of the cockpit ball.
Gene

I didn't know about the hatch so, thanks for explaining! I guess it was wishful thinking then to have both! :)

Hey Kevin, yeah its an odd one, it just all seems a really small increment oversized again, like it was thrown and grown in the computer a tad off?
I know little of the process, but its an area id love to know more of, seeing as the same happened to to the last offering.
Anyway, its good to see you back on the boards contributing.

lee

Yeah, the Saturn V engine cans and several of the wing greeblies were oversized on the X-Wing, unfortunately.

Will be interesting to see this in person and take some measurements. It's possible we're reading too much given the angle in this one photo:

efx-tie-fighter-sdcc-tie-2ndpaint-005-text.jpg-111689d1346867206

The proof will be in the, um, porridge, which I will return to eating now!

Mmmmm....porridge.

Caveat from my end of things - I sized all of the decal art I made to the Neisen kit.

So does Steves kit match this larger eFX hatch Jason? So Steves kit is larger than the prop in some way maybe?
Wonder if its down to shrinkage on the ILM lineage part, possibly?
In any case, this eFX model really does look lovely, the paint samples are superb, it may be taking some time, but its looking worth that wait :thumbsup

lee

Yeah, I really have no idea since I wasn't involved in the manufacturing process... but it really does look amazing, even if it's not exact to the millimeter.

I think there is a certain degree of camera foolery going on with those two hatches in the pic, don't forget they are not sitting on a table side by side, the original hatch is sitting on a "ball" but is sort of on the other side of the equator of the ball as opposed to the new hatch which is sitting slightly forward of the equator...............that change in angle is skewing the dimensions on that hatch. I'm betting they look the same if sitting on a table side by side. Just a hunch. Spherical objects play hell on photography !!!!

Anyway, keeping on topic lads, pondering one of these beauties, not sure whether to go plunder Ebay at release, or try the waiting list.
Any UK lads ordered and have a shipping quote at this time?

Lee

I think there is a certain degree of camera foolery going on with those two hatches in the pic, don't forget they are not sitting on a table side by side, the original hatch is sitting on a "ball" but is sort of on the other side of the equator of the ball as opposed to the new hatch which is sitting slightly forward of the equator...............that change in angle is skewing the dimensions on that hatch. I'm betting they look the same if sitting on a table side by side. Just a hunch. Spherical objects play hell on photography !!!!

Not sure about that, regardless it's a beautiful model, but I'm very happy with my Neison version which I built and is my pride and joy

GFollano

I applaud all the effort that has gone into the color matching and decal recreation but still think it's a real shame that they couldn't give us the sandwiched "Koolshade" hero wing style.

I've seen a lot of TIE's with painted black solar panels on the wings and none of them captured that distinctive "sheen" that you get with the real Koolshade. :cry

Last edited:
I applaud all the effort that has gone into the color matching and decal recreation but still think it's a real shame that they couldn't give us the sandwiched "Koolshade" hero wing style.

I've seen a lot of TIE's with painted black solar panels on the wings and none of them captured that distinctive "sheen" that you get with the real Koolshade. :cry

The wings are detachable so if you really wanted to, with some effort you could add your own wings with coolshade.

My concern is that some of the details are oversized.

The wings are detachable so if you really wanted to, with some effort you could add your own wings with coolshade.

My concern is that some of the details are oversized.

Yeah but then you could hold out for Steves new kit and build it from the ground up.
I dont think the details are that bad, YES, they are larger, its not "distortion" as some put it......but its not that bad either, i still really like it, and eFX have done well.......if the QC follows through to the sales product, itll be killer and will be maybe the best "armchair" replica to date.

Id just love to know why some details end up larger, as they did on the X wing.....again, only a small amount, is it a computer translation issue,or something to do with growing the parts, confuddling?

lee

I think finding the correct kooolshade would be difficult. Even if you did find it, make one mistake and then what do you do? I'm sure there is a bit of fisheye distortion going on in that pic, so I'd reserve judgement on the size until they are in-hand.

:facepalm

Why did I even post that picture? Seriously. Seriously? One of the best SS replicas comes to market and some are questioning some of the details of the styrene chips and the decals?

Contrary to popular belief (and much to Steve's chagrin), LFL did NOT turn over an EpIV TIE to have on Steve's workbench as he worked on this. It was done from photos and measurements of castings obtained many, many years ago (and verified to have a good lineage back to ILM). It was, in my opinion, the Manhattan Project of SS replicas when you take the number of people involved, the time, and amount of research. Steve and crew are not getting enough kudos for their efforts on this one.

Attached is a side-by-side photo of the two hatches. No distortion. No Photoshop. As orthographic as I could get. Go for it.

Gene

PS - I did measure some of the little chips. One was off by about .75mm And one part looked differently. Chalk it up to the difference of my hatch part being a casting (maybe even a pyro casting (which is another step removed from the original)) and the parts on the eFX TIE being derived from actual kit parts.

PPS - the TIE's are back in Bryan's hands now, so I can't do any more comparison photos.........

Ahhh so some of the details ( chips ) are beefier, no biggie at all, already as stated, its an amazing replica.
TBH, its been said recently too, if you cant take the criticism, maybe posting stuff like this, on a board of rivet counters, isnt a great idea
In any case, as said before, its beautiful and i may chase one come the time.

Lee

Just noticed, the centre detail part is also cut slightly differently, and the centre hatch plating, differs too, 9 plates on the ILM hatch, 10 plates on the eFX?
Is that a pyro to Hero differential?

lee

Well apart from the enlarge styrene chips, and decals, heres what else i see differing from Genes ILM hatch.
Of course, ive got got great Hero TIE ref to compare any other pics, so this is pureley based on the Pyro Hatch in the photo, for all i know it could marry up to a Hero spot on?
To me, they look more like nuances added in more so by Lucasfilm maybe?

lee
TIE-Hatch-SizeComparison-20001-RPF.jpg

Well from what i can find online, it IS a case of differences between Hero and Pyro models, NOT a case of just differing details.
I did find a pic of a screen used hatch, bearing 10 centre panels, so clearly, the eFX is fully modeled on a Hero, and Genes hatch, a tad shrunken, and in Pyro guise.

lee

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back