MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

And now Matty are selling more “last remaining stock” at San Diego Comic-Con:

There’s good news for anyone still looking for this ultimate Back to the Future™ item… the last remaining stock will be available at 2013 San Diego Comic-Con! Developed in conjunction with and fully sanctioned by Universal Studios, this 1:1 scale model includes authentic “whooshing” sounds sampled directly from the original films and a deco featuring Mattel logos, just like in the films! (Please note: this item does not include the exclusive mini-Hover Board.)

This product will only be available for purchase at the show.

Matty Collector Reveals Mattel SDCC Exclusives ? Day 5! | Comic-Con Geek

I guess they didn’t sell too well at that Mattel Toy Store…?

Hi everybody,

I want to "upgrade" my matty board, and I have read some of the thread (not everything) about 3D lenticular effect sticker.
Some of you had some very cool results.
My question is: Who sell the material? Maybe a member can sold me some? Or a supplier contact.

Hope I'm clear, my english is pretty bad.

Thanks a lot!

Mattel’s working on another Hoverboard! :eek

This one’s a 1:18 scale version to accompany the Cult Classic Collection “Back to the Future Time Machine with Mr. Fusion” model:

COPERTINA.jpg

BACK TO THE FUTURE TIME MACHINE with Mr. Fusion

I wonder if it's going to be any more accurate than their last effort… :confused

Hi,

my name is Thomas, this is my first project...
I know the results aren't perfect, but I'd like to show it to you anyway. :p

I got a Matty Hoverboard off ebay a few weeks ago and was rather disappointed with it. Not only because the stickers looked cheap... they were bubbling and peeling off already. I could have glued them back down but inspired by all the great work here at therpf.com I took the chance to make the hoverboard look a little more screen accurate.

I always loved the hero board with it's lenticular effect:

Hoverboard%20screenshot%202.jpg

mattycollector-mattel-hoverboard-discussion-vlcsnap-2012-12-08-13h57m24s135.png-131060d1354993880

So I tried to find a (at least) similar material.

The only lenticular honeycomb material I could find to order online here in Germany was this one: http://www.modulor.de/en/Plastics-Rubber/Sheets-Mats-Films/Soft-PVC-Films/Soft-PVC-kinetic-3D-film-honeycomb.html

The product image on their website looks awful but the real product looks pretty good compared to the screenshots from bttf2.
I chose the clear material and it turned out to be a good choice. It gives the underlying pink plastic of the hoverboard a purple or lavender-like color.

I also got some neon pink and neon green velcro and inkjet printable pvc sheets - and some pink fur for the footstrap.

I used Rolands lenticular hoverboard decal files and modified them to make them fit the Matty board.
Thanks again Roland for the really good and accurate work. :thumbsup

The Matty hoverboard has a recessed area where the original stickers were placed. I wanted my decals to go almost to the edge of the board to make it look more movie accurate. So I had to flatten the border around the recess to make the top surface of the board completely flat.
I disassembled the Board and sanded the border down until it was flush with the recessed area.
Sanding down the pink plastic works really well with different wet sanding papers. I did finish the surface with a really fine paper to give it a smooth and matte look.

Took me several days to sand the plastic, cut and apply the velcro and the printed graphics to the lenticular material and assemble everything... but I am happy with the results.
It still isn't the most movie accurate hoverboard replica, however, I really like my Matty board now. :love

What do you think? :)

Thomas

hoverboard.jpg

The videos are a bit shaky and do not show the colors very well but they show the lenticular effect. In reality it is not only a moving pattern; it really is a 3D effect that lets the "honeycomb" structure pop out in front of the board. Hard to explain...

Attachments

• hoverboard.jpg
    hoverboard.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 125
  • hoverboard.jpg
    hoverboard.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 74
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

my name is Thomas, this is my first project...
I know the results aren't perfect, but I'd like to show it to you anyway. :p

I got a Matty Hoverboard off ebay a few weeks ago and was rather disappointed with it. Not only because the stickers looked cheap... they were bubbling and peeling off already. I could have glued them back down but inspired by all the great work at thrpf.com I took the chance to make the hoverboard look a little more screen accurate.

I always loved the hero board with it's lenticular effect:

http://www.hillvalleycity.com/museu...hoverboard/assets/Hoverboard screenshot 2.jpg

http://www.therpf.com/attachments/f...2012-12-08-13h57m24s135.png-131060d1354993880

So I tried to find a (at least) similar material.

The only lenticular honeycomb material I could find to order online here in Germany was this one: PVC-weich kinetische 3D-Folie, Wabe
( It says: "PVC soft kinetic foil, honeycomb")

The product image on their website looks awful but the real product looks pretty good compared to the screenshots from bttf2.
I chose the clear material and it turned out to be a good choice. It gives the underlying pink plastic of the hoverboard a purple or lavender-like color.

I also got some neon pink and neon green velcro and inkjet printable pvc sheets - and some pink fur for the footstrap.

I used Rolands lenticular hoverboard decal files and modified them to make them fit the Matty board.
Thanks again Roland for the really good and accurate work. :thumbsup

The Matty hoverboard has a recessed area where the original stickers were placed. I wanted my decals to go almost to the edge of the board to make it look more movie accurate. So I had to flatten the border around the recess to make the top surface of the board completely flat.
I disassembled the Board and sanded the border down until it was flush with the recessed area.
Sanding down the pink plastic works really well with different wet sanding papers. I did finish the surface with a really fine paper to give it a smooth and matte look.

Took me several days to sand the plastic, cut and apply the velcro and the printed graphics to the lenticular material and assemble everything... but I am happy with the results.
It still isn't the most movie accurate hoverboard replica, however, I really like my Matty board now. :love

What do you think? :)

Thomas

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...I/AAAAAAAAHMU/WXeZ85rlEFY/s640/hoverboard.jpg

The videos are a bit shaky and do not show the colors very well but they show the lenticular effect. In reality it is not only a moving pattern; it really is a 3D effect that lets the "honeycomb" structure pop out in front of the board. Hard to explain...

Hoverboard - YouTube

Kopie von Hoverboard 2 - YouTube
Welcome and great job on your board :)
You did an excellent job!!!

If you get a second board and want to convert that, check out member ROLAND's conversion kit in the Junk Yard.

Hi Thomas!
Very good work! Looks waaaaay better than the official mattel version!!
I did just like you, remove all the stickers, and I was in touch with Rowland Plastics for the lenticular 3D pink material but it's unavailable for now.
Thank you for sharing you infos about another (european) supplier. What item did you get? 571200L or 571200R? What's the difference?
Maybe you have some extra material to sell...

You re-motivated me to finish my board. Hope the result will be as good as yours.

Sorry for my english if I made mistakes.

Thanks a lot! Glad you guys like it. :)
Moviefreak: I don't have a second board, but I already ordered one of Roland's kits, just in case. :cool
Vormz: The 571200R is the exact same material like 571200L, "R" stands for a complete roll of it - look at the price:

Modulor | Soft-PVC kinetic 3D-film, honeycomb

Their material is called "honeycomb" but it looks more like bubbles as you can see in my video.

I can live with that, but I guess the stuff below from Sommers is much more accurate.

But shipping to Europe is rather expensive. Has anyone tried to use it?

Honeycomb-Clear LIR 24"

clearhc_1.jpg

Attachments

• clearhc_1.jpg
    clearhc_1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 172
  • clearhc_1.jpg
    clearhc_1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 58
I ordered 1.6 meters, just to make sure it's enough.

Important note: You can't use glue on the back of the visible parts of the lenticular material. Any glue (even double sided adhesive clear tape) will weaken the lenticular effect as the lenticular structure is carved into the surface on the back of the film.

I placed double sided tape only underneath the areas that are covered with velcro and other stickers. These areas provide enough space to make the decal stick firmly to the board.

I used this double sided adhesive film: Modulor | Aslan double-sided adhesive film DK

choose Article no. 330154L

Additionally, you could seal the edge of the lenticular material to the board using liquid glue, but I found out it is not necessary. The lenticular film will not lift away from the board.

I hope this helps you out.

Last edited:

Important note: You can't use glue on the back of the visible parts of the lenticular material. Any glue (even double sided adhesive clear tape) will weaken the lenticular effect as the lenticular structure is carved into the surface on the back of the film.

I placed double sided tape only underneath the areas that are covered with velcro and other stickers. These areas provide enough space to make the decal stick firmly to the board.

I used this double sided adhesive film: Modulor | Aslan double-sided adhesive film DK

Additionally, you could seal the edge of the lenticular material to the board using liquid glue, but I found out it is not necessary. The lenticular film will not lift away from the board.

It helps a lot, thank you!
I didn't know that double tape ruined the lenticular effect, in deed. It makes it more tricky than I thought...
I'll make my order tomorrow and post some pics later.

Thanks again for your help Thomas.

@ Vormz: Here are some images showing the lenticular material in detail. Depending on the lighting conditions and viewing angle the material seems to change between a honeycomb and a more bubble shaped structure. Really looking forward to seeing your results! :)

IMG_4710.JPG

IMG_4709.JPG

IMG_4713.JPG

I place my order yesterday for the lenticular sheet.
I can't wait! My board is "naked" for months and I want to finish the job.
Just unstick the pink velcro, but I'm not motivated to sand the board like you did... respect ;).
Maybe fill the area with 2mm PVC.
Thank you for the pics, the result is just like what I want.
The lenticular sheet is not to thick? I mean hard to cut to shape?

Hope I can finish it this week end. My stickers are ready!

Thomas I wonder if you tried 3M spray adhesive?

Emmet:

That looks absolutely amazing! I love how you chose a clear sheet to go over the pink of the board: it really gives it a close look to the original! Fantastic work all around! Man, this makes me want another Matty board with Hero decals now! :thumbsup

Re: MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Maybe fill the area with 2mm PVC.
Thank you for the pics, the result is just like what I want.
The lenticular sheet is not to thick? I mean hard to cut to shape?

Hope I can finish it this week end. My stickers are ready!

The recess is much less than 2mm, it's more like 0.2mm. But you could use a thin clear film to fill the recessed area.
The lenticular sheet is about 0.5mm thick and is made out of really soft PVC. It is very easy to cut with a cutter or xacto knife.
I made a stencil from Roland's decal just showing all outlines. Then I fixed the lenticular sheet on top of the print. The print stays visible through the lenticular sheet. You just need to glue your decals in place and cut the whole thing out at the end, always using the stencil underneath as a guide. Works really well.

Thomas I wonder if you tried 3M spray adhesive?

Yes I did. Also tried "Pattex" and "UHU" spray adhesives. Even the thinnest film of spray adhesive does at least weaken or destroy the lenticular effect. As I said even the very thin layer of glue on a double sided adhesive film does remove or weaken the lenticular effect, it is very delicate.

I don't know if you can see it in the image below, but the lenticular material changes the pink color of the hoverboard to a more lavender color similar to the original hero board. Looks even more lavender in person. It is really hard to capture these colors...
However, this color changing effect of the lenticular material is completely gone when the material is glued dierectly to the board. It completely blends with the color underneath then. Tried that before. :unsure

IMG_4691.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

@Emmet:

That looks absolutely amazing! I love how you chose a clear sheet to go over the pink of the board: it really gives it a close look to the original! Fantastic work all around! Man, this makes me want another Matty board with Hero decals now! :thumbsup

Thanks a lot! Great to see that I am not the only one who likes the look. :)

I always supposed it and you proved it now: Clear/colorless lenticular on top of the hot pink board looks great! I've seen photos of a few hero board replicas with different lenticular colors - pink, hot pink, lavender or whatever. And to be honest: The lenticular on your board looks more screen accurate than ANY other replica I've seen.

I think I will order some clear lenticular from Sommers and make a few tests. Who knows - maybe I can find a way to glue that material without losing the lenticular effect?!

I always supposed it and you proved it now: Clear/colorless lenticular on top of the hot pink board looks great! I've seen photos of a few hero board replicas with different lenticular colors - pink, hot pink, lavender or whatever. And to be honest: The lenticular on your board looks more screen accurate than ANY other replica I've seen.

I think I will order some clear lenticular from Sommers and make a few tests. Who knows - maybe I can find a way to glue that material without losing the lenticular effect?!

Gotta agree with Roland here. Working with the color of the Matty board was such a great move, and it gave you a pretty darn close color! I've seen boards that all had a colored lenticular pattern, but most just looked off. Mostly because an accurate color in such a material is so freaking difficult to find. As everybody here knows! But going with the clear was a brilliant move, and I think that information is a huge breakthrough for those with a Matty board who want Hero graphics!

Roland do I sense a possible Hero graphic run? :cool :thumbsup

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back