'Major's Thermoptic Pistol' (2017) Ghost in the Shell (COMPLETE! pg 4) **PIC HEAVY**

Re: 'Major's Thermoptic Pistol' (2017) Ghost in the Shell (W.I.P.)

Yes.

I'd like to get better pics to make sure, because I have a sneaking suspicion that that one is CG but, it's still the representation we're going for.

Anything else, IMO, is a stunt or action piece. IE: an airsoft, or live fire pistol, painted to match the hero.

Yeah I don't think we are going to get anymore references.. maybe the art book has one? I watched all the Behind the scenes that are released so far.. nothing we haven't seen before. Still the same..sometimes the shots were even furthur from the camera. Unless Adam Savage can get his hands on it at Weta.. then I have no idea.

Yeah I don't think we are going to get anymore references.. maybe the art book has one? I watched all the Behind the scenes that are released so far.. nothing we haven't seen before. Still the same..sometimes the shots were even furthur from the camera. Unless Adam Savage can get his hands on it at Weta.. then I have no idea.

Yeah, i was hoping asavage would have covered it on tested, but alas it was not to be. I'm guessing he must have seen at some point in his visit but never got to film anything with it, or that's something they have in the can to show at a later date. Either way would love to have seen him cover it knowing what a fan he is of hand props like these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 'Major's Thermoptic Pistol' (2017) Ghost in the Shell (W.I.P.) **PIC HEAVY**

oh and this too
11azhib.jpg
the front isn't very accurate.. thought I would point that out.

Yeah, i was hoping @asavage would have covered it on tested, but alas it was not to be. I'm guessing he must have seen at some point in his visit but never got to film anything with it, or that's something they have in the can to show at a later date. Either way would love to have seen him cover it knowing what a fan he is of hand props like these.

Yeah! He loves those gun props for sure. Just look at the detail he went through doing the Blade Runner pistol. Insane.

Re: 'Major's Thermoptic Pistol' (2017) Ghost in the Shell (W.I.P.) **PIC HEAVY**

oh and this too http://i67.tinypic.com/11azhib.jpg the front isn't very accurate.. thought I would point that out.

Yeah, not to worry, I'm already in the process of fixing that, these shots became available just after I printed it, but they are easy enough to fix. I've already adjusted the the chamber area and the guide pin below. You'll see in future updates ;)

Last edited:

Not much to update today, no drama's having to reprint or change a section, just cracking on with the never ending primer and sanding cycle at the moment. Almost got the last remnants of 3D print lines shifted, then onto final detailing and then preparing the surface textures ready for molding.

23.jpg

Last edited:

Great progress on your pistol. We just finally watched the movie today at the cinema and my girlfriend wants to cosplay as the major now. Looking forward to see the end product and I might very well be interested in the run :) (I'm new to this forum but I'm very picky and very perfectionist, so when I say cosplay, I mean something quite acurate in fact)
As I mentioned in someone else's thread, I'm just curious about the back of the white grip part that doesn't seem to match the back of the receiver. In the original gun, it's really squarish compared to your really rounded version. It might just be me that's missing something but it seems that more pictures have been released and I still cannot see that much roundness on the movie prop.
thermopticPistol.jpg
I hope that helps :)
keep up the good work

Great progress on your pistol. We just finally watched the movie today at the cinema and my girlfriend wants to cosplay as the major now. Looking forward to see the end product and I might very well be interested in the run :) (I'm new to this forum but I'm very picky and very perfectionist, so when I say cosplay, I mean something quite acurate in fact)
As I mentioned in someone else's thread, I'm just curious about the back of the white grip part that doesn't seem to match the back of the receiver. In the original gun, it's really squarish compared to your really rounded version. It might just be me that's missing something but it seems that more pictures have been released and I still cannot see that much roundness on the movie prop.
View attachment 721739
I hope that helps :)
keep up the good work

I too am a perfectionist and actually noticed that when I was working on Thursday and have since altered the back area in accordance to the new reference that became available, i just haven't gotten around to posting about it yet. I try to avoid work stuff at the weekends to keep my head from burning out XD I'm glad its not just me who looks at these little things ;)

All the great concepts they had to work with from the source material and they go with a glock that has some bits stuck to it and looks like a transparent Gameboy Color from the 90's.

All the great concepts they had to work with from the source material and they go with a glock that has some bits stuck to it and looks like a transparent Gameboy Color from the 90's.

Isn't the future wondrous!

So, somehow i missed this when modelling the gun and even after working on it for over 2 weeks at this point, the top area at the back portion of the handle (on my gun) is all wrong. Mine is far more curved and rounded, where as you can clearly see in the display version the its far more squared off with soft edges... I must fix mine!

24.jpg
So first off was to fill in the area with bondo to level out the sides so I had a good place to start from... I was then able to mark out the ending point of the top rail and from there work out the final cut line just beyond it.

25.jpg
With my marking in place i was able to use a belt sander to quickly remove the material to get the desired length.

26.jpg
With the final base shape carved out i was then able to use a mixture of sandpaper, files and a sanding sponge to carve out the material and create the final shape.

27.jpg
Still a little more carving and shaping to get it perfect but its far better than it was. right, back to sanding!

Last edited:

Cool, yeah it's a way better match to the original! looking forward to see the next pictures. keep up the good work Jay :thumbsup

@ Jay.. this SS from my pic batch could also help? Much more clearer. Then again I think you saw this lol.

f3pTUul.png

That's cool, I didn't notice before. When she has it holstered in the rooftop scene, it looks like the "hero". See how the back of the slide is just flat?

Now, check out one of the pics of the same scene when she's racking the slide. The back of the slide now has cutouts in it, probably for the frame rails.

Just a quick update, Due to making the model of this gun prior to any decent footage or images of the front of the gun being available, I had to take a bit of an educated guess based on the Glock17's front end and just create a basic template. Now that there images of the front (shown below) I'm now able to go back and fix this.

13.jpg
- So, as you can see in image 1, Image to get some of the elements right but the lower half is incorrect.

- In image 2 Ive made the relevant changes by carving out some of the material to create the indents of the rail slide.

- Because the way I'm going to be molding these pieces i wont be able to fill in the gaps on the front here until after they are cast so in image 3 i just did a quick Photoshop job to demonstrate the areas that will be filled in and joined to create the final look.

View attachment 28.jpg

I'm now in the process of doing the final body detailing and surface finishing to get this thing ready for molding. More updates very soon.

Last edited:

I think the bottom dot thing is a bit higher ? Or is it just me? Great work Jay!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back