River Tam Objects in Space Costume- WIP

JJ9437

Hello everyone! I've been wanting to do River Tam's dress from Objects in Space for a while now and after literally two years of searching for a suitable dress I came up with nothing, so I decided to handpaint the costume myself. I decided to do this because I found a near perfect vest of hers and the TUK boots she wears (well not the exact ones, but close enough). I just wanted to post up my progress here since I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out.

Original dress:

river_ff_promo3.jpg

r_jt_pink_top.jpg

My Vest:

e778_1.jpg

My Boots:

IMG_4487.jpg

And the beginnings of my fabric. I'm really not happy with the way the flowers are but these will be covered up by the vest so I'm hoping once i get to the front I have worked that all out.

5c58ee6c.jpg

That took me two hours so I'm not even sure how long the rest of it will take me. I'm in it for the long run though.

Thanks for looking!

Lol. I would love to recreate the bridge of Serenity. I may consider it once I make my Tardis and get some woodwork experience.

Thanks for the comments!

If the hand painting starts to drive you crazy, you could always go with spoonflower. You could draw out the whole pattern in photoshop and then print it. It looks great, though. I just started work on my Mal costume last night.

or possibly you could create a stencil and use an aerosol paint. I know Joanne's has lots of options for these. It looks great though, so if you can put up with it, I'd say continue on :lol

Hey I think it is a great effort, You are going to be dead on. Great work!!
Your a natural. Good Luck with the great work.
calibr1735:cool

Hello everyone! I've been wanting to do River Tam's dress from Objects in Space for a while now and after literally two years of searching for a suitable dress I came up with nothing, so I decided to handpaint the costume myself. I decided to do this because I found a near perfect vest of hers and the TUK boots she wears (well not the exact ones, but close enough). I just wanted to post up my progress here since I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out.

Original dress:

river_ff_promo3.jpg

r_jt_pink_top.jpg

My Vest:

e778_1.jpg

My Boots:

IMG_4487.jpg

And the beginnings of my fabric. I'm really not happy with the way the flowers are but these will be covered up by the vest so I'm hoping once i get to the front I have worked that all out.

5c58ee6c.jpg

That took me two hours so I'm not even sure how long the rest of it will take me. I'm in it for the long run though.

Thanks for looking!

If the hand painting starts to drive you crazy, you could always go with spoonflower. You could draw out the whole pattern in photoshop and then print it. It looks great, though. I just started work on my Mal costume last night.

Yeah, that was one of my first ideas because i didn't know if I wanted to spend all that time handpainting it but I started to get nervous about the colors and making sure the pattern was right, ect, so I felt it was better for me to just handpaint it because then I have complete control over how it turns out. Sure, it's going to take me a small life time but it will be so worth it!

You've done other River costumes?

This thread needs pictures!

Mike

Yep I have! I have I think 4 of them.

The first one I made was her battle dress from Serenity. I put on 1,000 nailheads by hand into the dress. I'm planning on redoing it though cause I had the chance to see the dress in person and the nailheads are way smaller than mine and also I really need to do the dress in silk. I also want more accurate weapons.

IMG_1644.jpg

Then I have her Heist Dress from Serenity. This is probably my favorite River Costume so far. I found a better fabric for the overlay and am planning on replacing it.

DSC_0017.jpg

I even have her goggles! (sorry for the bad Facebook style pic it was the best shot I could find of them)

goggles.jpg

And here is a comparison pic of the real dress and my version:

compare.jpg

I then have her Maidenhead dress which I ended up remaking since these pics were take in a better color. I do want to redo this one in silk though.

rivermaidenhead.jpg

Finally, I made her War Stories Dress. I hate the fabric I got for her vest though. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it so that is going to get replaced as soon as I find something better for it.

IMG_4375.jpg

I also did a closet version of her "Safe" outfit but I am now redoing it since I have the boots for it.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/JJ9437/River Tam/IMG_4484.jpg

And that's it lol.

WOW, that 'Heist' dress is pretty spot on if you ask me...coloring is great...fantastic work.

By no means am I putting the other one's down....I think they all look fantastic...but the photo of the Heist dress REALLY gives you an idea of how accurate it is to the Prop Store photos.

Fantastic work!!!

WOW, that 'Heist' dress is pretty spot on if you ask me...coloring is great...fantastic work.

By no means am I putting the other one's down....I think they all look fantastic...but the photo of the Heist dress REALLY gives you an idea of how accurate it is to the Prop Store photos.

Fantastic work!!!

Lol thanks! The heist dress is one I am mos proud of I just wish more people knew it. That one I originally didn't intend on making so accurate then infound the fabric for the underdress and kinda went nuts trying to get it right. I have an actual swatch of river's dress though and my fabric is totally different from it but it has the same look and was on sale. Overall that dress cost me something like $40 including the goggles which I'm pretty sure are the exact ones she wears. So needless to say I am quite proud of it. I canny wait to get my knew overlay finished for it though.

I got two panels finished today! Together they took around 5 hours. The bad thing is these are my two smallest panels so everything from this point is going to take way longer.

5801968a.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back