Dancin_Fools Halloween 2014 Costume Entry - Stay Puft Marshmallow Man

Dancin_Fool

Hi everyone,

Its that time of year to start working on Halloween. This year I'm doing ghostbusters themed costumes for my family. I'm planning a full sized pack for my wife, a miniature one for my son, a lime green onesie( slimer ) for our upcoming new arrival and I'm hopefully going to do Stay Puft for myself.

First up is the pack and wand for my son. I'll be 3d printing all of the pack parts. I started printing the first piece last night. Since this thread would be useless without pictures, heres a shot of the pack model i've been working on.

I'll upload some pictures of the printed parts tonight.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402071865.289986.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Re: Ghostbusters Costume for 2.5 year old

Printed out a few of the parts. Still quite a bit of cleanup needed. They snagged a bit on the second layer so i had to do some patching. Nothing a little filler and sanding wont fix.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402125114.183061.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1402125128.288181.jpg

I printed a few more pieces. It's really starting to come together. Need to get the backboard made so I can see how it sizes up on my son.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I started working on the model for my costume. This should make for some really fun photos.

My plan right now is to build it using upholstery foam wrapped with white fabric and air brush in between the parts with a light blue. I'm hoping that the upholstery foam has a bit more give to it than the EVA foam I used on last years bowser costume.

Here's the current model and a shot of how the pack is progressing.

stay_puft_6_17.jpg IMG_0827[1].jpg

Re: Ghostbuster Family, 2 Proton Packs and a Marshmallow Man

Thanks TurboTrey!

Here's another little update. I did some work on the hands, really ties the model together. I think I'm going to rework the arms though. I was going for something that would give me some mobility but stay pufts arms are very close and tucked into his sides.

I'm also trying to figure out whether I want to stick with the happy face pose or go for his more sinister looking face.

stay_puft_6_18.jpg

Been going a bit slow the last week. Haven't printed out much new stuff. I prepped a few more pieces though so I'll get on printing those tonight.

I've also been searching for a kids size tan flightsuit for my son without much luck. I think I'll probably wind up going with more of an olive color for him. That seems to be the easiest to find. I'm sure it'll be alright once all the patches are sewn on and he's all suited up. Besides it won't really matter to him.

I played around with doing the more angry face on stay puft. I think I prefer it over the happy face. I'm planning on trying to start building the arm this weekend to see how it works with the foam and fabric. Here's a render of what the angry face looks like. Hopefully I'll have some more interesting pictures after this weekend!

stay_puft_6_24.jpg

Got a few more pieces of the pack printed. Pretty much down to the little details and then I'll start printing the wand. Still a lot of sanding and filling to do.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403798408.077831.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1403798422.250188.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1403798434.768097.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1403798447.611138.jpg

Ghostbuster Family, 2 Proton Packs and a Marshmallow Man

I'm still continuing to chip away at this. I've started to build stay puft and he's progressing nicely. I might have to add some foam supports though, it doesn't hold it's shape too well on its own.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407481771.212226.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407481786.144801.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407481912.512843.jpg

I've also started working on my sons proton wand. For now I've hot glued the pieces together. I'm still not sure i that will be my final method of attachment. I've got all the screw holes modeled in so I could use actual screws.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407481836.543984.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407481873.558530.jpg

can't wait to see the rest of mr stay puft. the arm alone looks like the best i've ever seen.

Love it. My five year old son is hooked on Ghostbusters, very envious of your mini proton pack!

That pack looks great. I'm also loving the marshmallow man. I can't wait to see how that looks completed.

Thanks for the comments guys! I haven't had much time to work on the costume the last couple weeks with the birth of my daughter but I am starting to get back into the build.

Ordered a flight suit and patches for my son. Printed a few more parts for the wand. It's really taking shape.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409899570.297020.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1409899581.669435.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1409899598.809803.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1409899610.197823.jpg

What material is that made out of, it looks great!

I'm still continuing to chip away at this. I've started to build stay puft and he's progressing nicely. I might have to add some foam supports though, it doesn't hold it's shape too well on its own.
View attachment 359998View attachment 359999
View attachment 360003

I've also started working on my sons proton wand. For now I've hot glued the pieces together. I'm still not sure i that will be my final method of attachment. I've got all the screw holes modeled in so I could use actual screws.
View attachment 360001
View attachment 360002

Thanks! It's just open cell foam I got from an upholstery store. It's a half inch thick. I think I might have to add some EVA foam inserts though to give it more support.

Still slowly making progress on the packs. I've started attaching the pieces of my sons pack together. I did a quick weigh in and it weighs about 1.1 lbs. I think the final weight will be between 1.5 and 2 lbs. I've also gotten quite a few pieces for my wife's pack printed out. I've got a few pictures showing off the difference in size.

Really need to pick up some more foam this week and get busy on stay puft. He's starting to lag behind now.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410847119.312781.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1410847134.506094.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1410847148.036797.jpg

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been firing on all cylinders to get everything finished for Halloween. The packs are both almost ready for painting just a few little things left to print for both.

Most of my times been devoted to stay puft. I ran into problems trying to skin it with fabric so I switched things up and am going with the same coating I used on my Bowser costume. I also had to reinforce all the parts with a bit of a cardboard skeleton. In hindsight I probably should have just used EVA foam for everything. Here's some pics though. Just started printing the face today.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412988388.696571.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412988405.429493.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412988424.043928.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412988442.673073.jpg

I've got everything printed and glued together on stay puft so now it's just a race to get everything finished for Halloween.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413854806.463202.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back