The Rifleman Props

Good show. I like those weird lever actions, like the Riflemans, or the sawed off 'hog-legs'.
Strange hair-do in your photo.

Ooo! Cool, "off the beaten path" subject! :):thumbsup Hehe, lightsabers and blasters get pretty boring after awhile! :lol

Good Luck!

-Sarge

Ooo! Cool, "off the beaten path" subject! :):thumbsup Hehe, lightsabers and blasters get pretty boring after awhile! :lol

Good Luck!

-Sarge

I thought I would broaden my interests. Anyone ever watch the shows, or am I the only old fogie? I got that picture back in the early 1970's. The guns actually fire.

Last edited:
I loved that show, and to tell the truth I have never seen a prop from that show, though I have seen the hogs leg(mares leg) on firefly, Zoe's gun.

I must be old cause I remember watching the Rifleman Religiously!
But for those of you who want to go back even further how about a show called "Branded"!
If you do not know this is also a Chuck Connors western about a cavalry officer who is unjustly (like it was ever justly back then) branded a coward!
The reason I mention it is because there are two weapon props that would be unique to that show!
One is his cavalry sword, which is broken when he is booted out.
And the other I am unsure about because it is his broken sword!
The character kept the broken sword and if I remember later in the show he had it resharpened so that it had a usable tip! Making it either a short sword or a long knife! So you could have two different props of the same piece!
Best to all, Petseal

I watched the show in syndication, but not original run. I remember that calling Lucas a "Sod Buster" was sure-fire death, as certain as going down to the planet with Kirk Spock and McCoy!

Props? Enamel tinware plates and coffee cups, hats, barbed wire, a saddle. That is about all I can thin of. It really wasn't a prop type show.

I don't know if this was a prop, but didn't he have a wanted poster in "OklahomaTerritory"?

Always been a fan of "Wanted: Dead or Alive" and the Mare's Leg Steve McQueen carried. Between that and the loop lever Winchester John Wayne carried, I'd die happy...

Back in June, the original Rifleman's Winchester was auctioned off with a winning bid of $21,500. It was originally part of the Stembridge Arms movie rental collection. Stembridge Arms supplied most of the TV & Movie industry with firearms for a variety of productions such as Bonanza, The Rifleman, Gunsmoke and Combat!
Branded (1965) was in color came after The Rifleman (1958). I haven't seen an episode of Branded since it originally aired. And yes, I'm older than dirt!

Randy in San Diego

Back in June, the original Rifleman's Winchester was auctioned off with a winning bid of $21,500. It was originally part of the Stembridge Arms movie rental collection. Stembridge Arms supplied most of the TV & Movie industry with firearms for a variety of productions such as Bonanza, The Rifleman, Gunsmoke and Combat!
Branded (1965) was in color came after The Rifleman (1958). I haven't seen an episode of Branded since it originally aired. And yes, I'm older than dirt!

Randy in San Diego

Man thats a kick in the fanny!
I was positive Branded aired first! I must of "remembered" it this way because I can recall watching the Rifleman in reruns (after all I'm not THAT old)! I do not remember hearing about Branded until several years ago! One of those cable stations that airs nothing but old series ran it and I got hooked for a while!
So I guess I made that fatal blunder...I assumed!
Well even us old dogs learn new tricks, weather we want to or not!

One thing that does bother me was I never did find out who he was protecting to get "Branded" in the first place, or why! So if anyone knows I would be appreciative to being enlightened! Or is this one of those it got canceled before the answer was reveled!

Also jts1031 mentioned Josh Randell's Mare's Leg! I do not remember were I herd the story but that sawed off Winchester almost stopped production on the first day of shooting! It seems that firearms that are cut down are illegal, even back then. From what I remember there was a lot of scrambling around to get whatever paperwork was needed so they could use the weapon!
I also heard it was a nightmare to fire, no stability I guess!

Hope I have spread knowledge, I have!
My best to all, Petseal

My friend who I used to work at the Hollywood Wax Museum picked up a little souvineer from Movieland when they closed.

rifleman.jpg

This is how it looked at Movieland just before closing, but now he has it on display in his office at the Hollywood Wax :)

Steve​

I also heard it was a nightmare to fire, no stability I guess!

Probably due to the fact that the trigger guard was modified, when you squeezed the lever action closed an added screw in the trigger guard hit the trigger and it fired the rifle... A dangerous combination :)

The modifications can be seen in the pictures in the first post here, or in this replica...

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=19584

or in more detail here

http://www.riflemansrifle.com/therifle.htm

Probably due to the fact that the trigger guard was modified, when you squeezed the lever action closed an added screw in the trigger guard hit the trigger and it fired the rifle... A dangerous combination :)

The modifications can be seen in the pictures in the first post here, or in this replica...

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=19584

Maurice "Moe" Hunt is the guy who made my lever pictured at the start of this post. I spoke with him a number of times when he lived in California.

You may be right but I was referring to the cut down Winchester used by Steve McQueen in Wanted Dead or Alive! The modifications to the lever may have had an effect but I'm sure who ever wrote the piece I read said it was due primarily to not having a stock and a shortened barrel!
Man it must of been annoying on the set when the gun needed to be fired several times in a scene! I wonder with the shortened barrel and cartridge tube how many rounds would actually fit in it? It must of been three or four shots max then-CUT-reload-ACTION-repeat till bad guy is dead!
My curiosity has been peaked so I'm going to do a little looking around and see what info is out there!
I just realized that I am not even forsaking my beloved Star Trek! I can recall one episode of the Original, the Next Generation and Enterprise that were westerns!
Have fun, Petseal

Encore Western has been running the entire Rifleman series from start to end. Interesting to see all the guest stars who appeared on the show.

Well I spent some time trying to find out how many bullets Steve McQueen's Winchester carried! I did find a couple of sites that stated Josh Randell called his gun "Mare's Laig" because it kicked from both ends!
Then I came across this site...

http://www.bountyhunterspecial.com/

They are called Eagle Squadron Products! On there site they sell several versions of this rifle, two that even fire live ammo. You have to pay a special fee because the barrel is under sized and there are a few states were it is illegal to own one that fires live rounds!
Theres pics of the guns and info, about buying! And then to my surprise about half way down is "John Wayne - American" and they have four Winchesters each with a different styled over-sized lever ring that he used in different movies!
Then last but not least is the Rifleman himself Chuck Connors and his Rifle!
Man I tell ya IF I ever won a lottery or something Canadian Customs would go nuts! In case I forgot to mention the Winchester lever action rifle has always been my number one favorite rifle! So to find replicas of them as they were used by my favorite TV stars and not one but 4 different versions used by JOHN WAYNE! I am honestly speechless!
I truly wish that when my parents brought us kids over from England that we had landed in the USA! I can't find a toy gun over here and there you can buy a fully functional replica of a JW Winchester and go shot gofers!
By the way I was exaggerating about finding a toy gun over here! You can BUT if you want to buy it you need a permit, a license, six waivers, permission from a local judge and six months of counseling with a priest!
I'm going to have a good cry now, so enjoy the site, Petseal

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back