New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit

Angled like this? Still tweaking but getting close to test print. Might make it inner and outer in two pieces.

dome%201_zpskf5ot8ha.jpg

Bill

Anyone want to buy a Star Destroyer?:lol:facepalm As much as I'd like a fleet, I don't think I have the room for more than one!

Yes, as Robiwon asked, what are you asking for it? I have been waiting to get the cash for this one and then hemmed and hawed about taking the risk to get one on Ebay or not and wait a few months to see if Revell would offer it here retail.

I'm assuming you want to recoup the original cost. But I DO WANT to take the plunge on this because this will be my Grail of all Grails in terms of modeling.

I might be more comfortable buying it from someone here stateside than from Russia.

Angled like this? Still tweaking but getting close to test print. Might make it inner and outer in two pieces.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/niart17/dome 1_zpskf5ot8ha.jpg

Bill

Nice work. Bill,
Two things though..if I may... the inner supports should maybe be a little less angled and extend closer to the flange's diameter
the other thing that look a little off, are the antennas, that look a bit short .. or have you done them that way to leave the opportunity to drill them and add the thinner segment?
OtaSD-21.jpg

...And happy you finally got yours.... and yours.... Fett-ish :)

Very much appreciation to all those posting hints, modifications and links to aftermarket parts! Now that I've got my SD, I've begun determining the scope of my build. I have nowhere near the talents of many of those here, so I won't be going to the extent of lighting, bridge angle modifications, etc. I have decided though, in addition to basically an "out-of-box" build, that I DO want to make at least some modifications that will be within the realm of my abilities. I invested in a set of Digital Sprue Shield Generators (more easy for me as it will not require modification of the base mounts) and am keeping my eyes open for any other aftermarket parts that will enhance the finished model. Many thanks for all the outstanding info and resources being posted here!

Nice work. Bill,
Two things though..if I may... the inner supports should maybe be a little less angled and extend closer to the flange's diameter
the other thing that look a little off, are the antennas, that look a bit short .. or have you done them that way to leave the opportunity to drill them and add the thinner segment?
View attachment 707316

...And happy you finally got yours.... and yours.... Fett-ish :)

Dude!!! That is the pic I've been needing!!! Thanks. I couldn't tell from my references some of the underside details. I will adjust accordingly. And I'm up in the air about the antenna, the print limits them too large for my taste so I was thinking they'd be better replaced with wire. Not sure.

Thanks again for the pic. BTW, I'm slightly colorblind so it looks pink to me. :)

Bill

Last edited:
Dude!!! That is the pic I've been needing!!! Thanks. I couldn't tell from my references some of the underside details. I will adjust accordingly. And I'm up in the air about the antenna, the print limits them too large for my taste so I was thinking they'd be better replaced with wire. Not sure.

Thanks again for the pic. BTW, I'm slightly colorblind so it looks pink to me. :)

Bill
You're welcome...
Got the pic from this post, link is still active to raiders' Onedrive archive.... huge amount of pics.
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=208234&highlight=Avenger

There's also a Montreal expo but pics are in Raw format and need to be converted for ease of use and space.
In general quite a few threads to search for refs. in the studio scale section.

about the antennas don't sweat it ... people that care for accuracy will add wire others won't ... if you're at minimal thickness for shapeways it will still be very small.

ok, I did a little more work to this based on the pics you'd provided links to. Thanks so much for that! Its still not perfect but I think it's getting closer. The problem is the limits of what can be printed and still come out looking correct-ish. Any other suggestions on this?

dome%202_zpsqgwjvchu.jpg

Thanks,
Bill

Since the depressions on the little ladder shaped greeblies are actually holes, but you probably can't do that at this scale, how about making them just a bit deeper? That way they'll capture more of a wash when painting, looking more like holes.

I'm up for two, certainly. Nice work - not easy. What's your modeling app, by the way?

Thanks Steve, I'll look into seeing if those recesses can be a little deeper. At some point they start being considered as a wall instead of an engraved feature and Shapeway won't print it. The program I use is Solidworks.

Bill

ok, I did a little more work to this based on the pics you'd provided links to. Thanks so much for that! Its still not perfect but I think it's getting closer. The problem is the limits of what can be printed and still come out looking correct-ish. Any other suggestions on this?

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/niart17/dome 2_zpsqgwjvchu.jpg

Thanks,
Bill
Nicely done.. But the slope on the lower section does look off to me, it may just be angle of the render though. Regarding the ladder structure, I've been able to get short runs of .4 mm successfully printed in FXD for biplane struts. Is the tube and the dome itself hollow to reduce cost?

Nicely done.. But the slope on the lower section does look off to me, it may just be angle of the render though. Regarding the ladder structure, I've been able to get short runs of .4 mm successfully printed in FXD for biplane struts. Is the tube and the dome itself hollow to reduce cost?

Thanks. It may be the render angle but I'm pretty sure I got the angle down to match what Zvezda has for the bridge top and that is pretty darn close to the photos I've seen. Here is a rough mock up image with my done on a pic of the bridge. the line I drew on the left side is extended off the pic roof so I could see that it's not catching glitches of the photo due to resolution issues and is lining up pretty well.

dome%20roof_zpss8n61wtt.jpg

Bilk

Thanks. It may be the render angle but I'm pretty sure I got the angle down to match what Zvezda has for the bridge top and that is pretty darn close to the photos I've seen. Here is a rough mock up image with my done on a pic of the bridge. the line I drew on the left side is extended off the pic roof so I could see that it's not catching glitches of the photo due to resolution issues and is lining up pretty well.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/niart17/dome roof_zpss8n61wtt.jpg

Bilk
Well, You're assuming that the slope of the model is the same as the image...I'm going to go out on a limb and say..not a chance... I've got the kit under my desk, but don't have and angle measuring too, so I'm going to say it's not going to be as pronounced as that image makes the angle look.

Thanks again. Actually I had the roof in hand and measured it before using the image. It came out to an angle of approximately 7.5 degrees. I went with that, printed a drawing and lined it up on the kits part. I didn't notice how close the kit was until I made the composite shot after it was rendered. Pretty sure I'm close to within a fraction of a degree (+/- .125). But please do correct me if I'm wrong. My kit may be warped or what not. That's why I want to print a test shot before I make it to where anyone else could get it if they want it. I'm mainly doing it for my build because I enjoy the design process. It may not come out as good as the others out there but it's something I did so I like it.

Bill

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back