Ghost in the Shell

I am digging how many sequences from the 1995 movie they've reproduced in this.

And for the record, there were a LOT of non-asian characters in the original, and Major - yes I said it - MAJOR is how the majority of fans refer to her - is definitely not Asian, so there's really no need to freak about no one referring to her Japanese name used in the original.

Watch your SAC series more carefully if you want to learn more about Motoko Kusanagi. Her rank name came from the time when she was active in the UN. There is an episode in season 2 of SAC where there are guys playing a game of cards and the sniper with the cyborg eye, Saito, tells his origin story of how he fought the Major when she lead a rescue mission for the UN. It might have all been a bluff but I doubted it at the time and it was a strong episode, the roof top duel at the end was memorable. There are a few other origin stories for a few of the characters through out the SAC series which describe just how they ended up in Section 9 and most are pretty good. And I'm not sure but I don't think Motoko is even her real name as again in season 2 you get a glimpse of her as a child involved in an aircraft accident and she is cyborged at an early age. She shares the memory of it with the "antagonist" of the individual 11who shares the same early cyborg body procedure. Its also hinted that because she has lacked a normal body development she has no real understanding of powerful emotions in normal people so she is essentially a high functioning autistic .She does use her strongly feminine appearance to provoke many reactions from people though , mainly because as an attractive woman they often underestimate her cyborg strengths and abilities. She appears to play roles more than anything even swopping out bodies so she "forgets" who she is , again there was an episode that covered that, Season 2 again I think .

PS
2016_1119waxwings0008.jpg

It annoyed the hell out of me that I couldn't remember the episode- its "Poker face" Ep 14 SAC2. And its the UNpeacekeepers

Last edited:
Yeah, but the movies, SAC, Arise, and the new stuff are all different universes. Which are, in turn, different from the manga. Nothing in any of them are necessarily canon to any of the others.

Yeah, but the movies, SAC, Arise, and the new stuff are all different universes. Which are, in turn, different from the manga. Nothing in any of them are necessarily canon to any of the others.

People asked why they called her "The Major". Given that the SAC series represents the biggest body of work in the GITS universe that episode is the only backstory I have come across that ties her previous military experience and rank with Section Nine. I'm still looking for the episode where she hints her name is also probably an alias. Whilst I loath the "Arise" version, SAC and the GITS movies seem to interlock extremely well and the new movie trailer has multiple references back to them. If you have anything else to offer as an explanation as to where her name originates then I'll be very interested (and I put the picture of the DVDS up to prove I have actually watched and followed the series for years rather than just quoting from other sources)

People asked why they called her "The Major". Given that the SAC series represents the biggest body of work in the GITS universe that episode is the only backstory I have come across that ties her previous military experience and rank with Section Nine. I'm still looking for the episode where she hints her name is also probably an alias. Whilst I loath the "Arise" version, SAC and the GITS movies seem to interlock extremely well and the new movie trailer has multiple references back to them. If you have anything else to offer as an explanation as to where her name originates then I'll be very interested (and I put the picture of the DVDS up to prove I have actually watched and followed the series for years rather than just quoting from other sources)

My thing isn't that she's the major or a major but she's called just Major. To me that just sounds wrong, esp. when it's in the first person.

The themes of cyber-sentience and identity that might have been thought-provoking in 1995 seem almost cliché today unless they develop it an unexpected way. The latest trailer did have some cringe-worthy quotes which worries me.

At a glance the visuals - environmental and character design are very satisfying. However some shots did look very "green-screen."

I'm hoping the action isn't just Matrix-style choreography or only a translation of the anime action (e.g. spinning back kick in Hong Kong against the Chinese guy with the mini-Uzi). I want to see some stuff we haven't seen before.

I still kinda wished they picked an unknown to lead the film instead of ScarJo. As I said before, she looks great for the part but, unless the character is exceptionally well-portrayed, she'll just come across as BlackLucyWidow in a Japanese movie.

One thing I don't want them to carry over from the Anime are the protracted, dialogue-heavy committee scenes. Governmental bureaucracy of that sort seems something more relatable to Japanese viewers but in US it would put a lot of people to sleep.

Last edited:
My thing isn't that she's the major or a major but she's called just Major. To me that just sounds wrong, esp. when it's in the first person.

But if you were addressing a superior officer in the military, you would say "Excuse me, major..." not "Excuse me, THE Major" (as you well know.)

And in any case she has beeb addressed that way several times in various source materials--as previously stated--so i don't see the problem?

But if you were addressing a superior officer in the military, you would say "Excuse me, major..." not "Excuse me, THE Major" (as you well know.)

And in any case she has been addressed that way several times in various source materials--as previously stated--so i don't see the problem?

True, and that's not what I have a problem with, it's in other situations where they say just Major that bugs me. It's when they say things like, "Where's Major?", "Is Major ok?, or "This is Major" leaving out "the" in these sorts of sentences just sound weird to me.

The themes of cyber-sentience and identity that might have been thought-provoking in 1995 seem almost cliché today unless they develop it an unexpected way. The latest trailer did have some cringe-worthy quotes which worries me.

At a glance the visuals - environmental and character design are very satisfying. However some shots did look very "green-screen."

I'm hoping the action isn't just Matrix-style choreography or only a translation of the anime action (e.g. spinning back kick in Hong Kong against the Chinese guy with the mini-Uzi). I want to see some stuff we haven't seen before.

I still kinda wished they picked an unknown to lead the film instead of ScarJo. As I said before, she looks great for the part but, unless the character is exceptionally well-portrayed, she'll just come across as BlackLucyWidow in a Japanese movie.

One thing I don't want them to carry over from the Anime are the protracted, dialogue-heavy committee scenes. Governmental bureaucracy of that sort seems something more relatable to Japanese viewers but in US it would put a lot of people to sleep.

^^THIS^^

I like ScarJo... but I feel like she's typecasted herself and because of that it's kind of detracts from this character.
To me, the Major doesn't necessarily need to be played by an Asian actress. I was in Japan over the Christmas/New Years holiday and it only then occurred to me how Japanese cartoons don't look like Japanese people in the least. I didn't see many wide-eyed, shark featured Japanese people while I was there. We associate that style of cartoon with Japanese and have more or less accepted that style as being such, but that's about where it ends in my opinion.
Major has a very ethic-neutral look as do most of the characters in the original GitS. ScarJo looks good in the role... and her monotone speech is pretty fitting as well. I can' really put my finger on it, but I feel like they could have done better on the casting. Margot Robbie (as the IMDb trivia explains was in negotiations) could have been good. Coming off of an excess of personality in Suicide Squad it would have been interesting to see her tone it down for this character.

I could never get into any of the follow-on movies/shows. The cutesy childish little robots in SAC pretty much ruin it for me. I watched GitS: TNM and it was meh. I didn't really like how they made the Major look in that. Mainly her face and hair style, which took a lot of her feminine appeal away.

In general, I've always found the themes of GitS to be convoluted and the depth is not conveyed very well in the dialogue.

With all that... I do want to see this movie. It looks pretty slick.

This movie looks like it should have come out 17 years ago. It just screams late 90s/00 to me. From the bullet-time action sequences, and the sort of philosophical questions it seems to be exploring, to "He hacked their brain" and the butt-kicking girl in the tight outfit. They just need to mention "the internet" or talk on flip phones and it could be period sci-fi.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back