ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
vest.jpg

Sharing this here so the Hive mind can have a look. I found a digital trading card on eBay (who knew you could sell pictures of trading cards??) with a digital swatch of Vest fabric. It raises some interesting questions about the 'nylon' front.

IMO it looks like possibly a custom rip stop or probably some kind of custom weave...

Interesting development.

Last edited:
View attachment 704246

Sharing this here so the Hive mind can have a look. I found a digital trading card on eBay (who knew you could sell pictures of trading cards??) with a digital swatch of Vest fabric. It raises some interesting questions about the 'nylon' front.

IMO it looks like possibly a custom rip stop or probably some kind of custom weave...

Interesting development.

THIS!!!!! Thank you. I am not delusional!

There are a few closeup photos showing this same diamond pattern in between the rows of stitching, but not official and not quite this clear. If you look really close on the Anovos prototype, it has some sort of a dot pattern between the rows of stitching (although it is not quite the same and the fabric is a silk-satin blend?) I feel like I've exhausted every google indexed consumer level (generally English speaking) fabric resource. I was hoping, for a time, that it was more of an artifact of calendaring and that the places where the reinforced lines cross were standing out like that, but it hasn't quite worked that way.

A few keywords I've used in searches: dobby or jacquard weave, a diamond or dot pattern, and Cordura and Supplex are brand names. (Apparently there is a line of Cordura UltraLight woven in Asia -- and Cordura Light which could also be promising -- but so much of it is limited to the general public or even general wholesale availability is pretty limited.) I've found some cheap polyester shower curtains with what looks like this weave, but I haven't seen them in person -- so I'm not sure about the measurements.

(I have become quite obsessed with finding this fabric.)

Last edited:
Oh I know that pain..After 2 years I've still never nailed the Mockingjay collar fabric. It eats up at you..
Just glad I can add to the discussion because I'm playing catch up on all you talented people so it's nice to give back. Hopefully someone out there will know or find it.

Yay, happy to see this thread getting going again! For the rectangles on the pants, I was agonizing over the color and feeling like tests of fabric paint or regular acrylic artist paint just weren't quite right, when it struck me what those "bleached-out" portions of the fabric looked like. To me they actually kind of looked like the same color as makeup stains. (And as someone that has dripped or smeared a LOT of light makeup on dark shirt collars in my days, I feel like I can speak with authority on this matter.)

So I took a paintbrush and my fairest color of water-based foundation (in case I messed up and needed to wash it out) and carefully drew them with makeup,and I thought the test tuned out so good, I put them on the pants. Think they turned out ok, no?

IMG_20170205_142409.jpg

@Indy Magnoli what is the difference between the low cost Jacket and the higher one? it's not clear from the website. Thank You :)

The cosmetic differences are minimal: (the White Label jacket has no interior pockets and the hardware is a slightly lower quality). The main difference, of course, is simply that the premium jackets are fully customizable (so can be made in any color and the design can be tweaked any way the buyer wants). The White Label jacket is only available "as is", though still made-to-measure.

We'll be adding full photos of the Jyn coloring probably in early March.

Afternoon, folks -- just kinda doing my preliminary review of bits and bobs, trying to decide if I'm going to add Jyn to my list for this year. Many thanks to everyone who has contributed thus far, as it has made sorting through details a great deal easier!

I did go ahead and pick up McCall's 7360 for the shirt. I figured I could use this not only as the base for Jyn, but, with a few mods, I could also use it as a base for my Hera Syndulla and/or Empress Acina (TOR) as well. I also discovered another McCall's pattern, 7098, that would work well as a base for Jyn's pants:

M7098.gif

As with all things, there are some mods to be made, but, if one is a bit hesitant to draft a pants pattern from scratch, these would probably make a good starting point.

Till later... happy crafting!

The McCalls 7098 was what I used and worked really well! The only real changes that need to be made are drafting out the pocket, widening the waistband, and putting in the zipper on the other side.

There is a lot of ease in the pattern, though, so double check the measurements against a good fitting pair of pants. (I had to make one size smaller than my measurements.)

Ugh. We are going on a Disney cruise in a few weeks that has a Star Wars Day at Sea, and my daughter wants to dress up as Jyn Erso.

I do not have the time to read all 30 pages of this thread, research or build, so I could use a little help, please.

I need something quick, but not the cheap-**** Rubies polyester graphic onesie. I found this on the Disney Store website:

IMG_0299.JPGIMG_0300.JPG
https://www.disneystore.com/costume...5000!&ef_id=WBZ74QAAAIHIMdL4:20170207031548:s

Can I do better than this for $45?

Last edited:
It isn't awful, especially for the price. My daughter loves hers, and looks adorable in it. The Rey costume from Disney is far better, but this one is okay.

I finished the shirt last night and I'm ready to keep going on the pants.

It's not perfect by any means. There are SO many flaws. The seams on the sleeves don't match up to the back seam perfectly (I can NEVER get this right, and I've done this so many times, aggh). The neck line is higher than I'd like, the fabric is a little too heavy and doesn't drape as well as I'd like (I used Kaufman's cotton linen blend in graphite, if I remember correctly). The hem on the sleeves is smaller than it should be; the darts are too short in the front and I added in the boob darts before it occurred to me that I shouldn't have. There is simply too much fabric on the back of the shirt, even after "fixing" it. Should I go on?
Anyway, it's fine for now. I'm going to try again someday, but I think it looks fine for what it is. I sew a lot, guys, I'm just a mess at it sometimes :lol

Edit: Oh, I forgot! The amulet by @Soulinertia is GORGEOUS. I've actually been wearing it out of costume, I love it so much. It's a wonderful buy.

shirt1.jpgshirt2.jpg

Last edited:
Open letter to @Restill, Thank you for the photos and the critic of your version of Jyn's shirt. I believe you (like many of us) may be your own harshest critic. Sometimes that can be discouraging and some times it can be motivational. First I will share the blame on the fabric choice as it is one I have suggested in previous posts. I like the fabric, the color, how it sews, but it is probably too heavy. I had hoped with wear and laundering it would become more comfortable. Every new observation is helpful. I believe the more everyone shares their successes and challenges all our projects will improve.

For example I had not given much thought at all about the hems on Jyn's sleeves, After your comments I had to go back to images from the “confinement” and unused“beach” scenes to get an more accurate understanding of what you meant. I had missed that detail. While I was reviewing all of my other notes, your comment about “too much fabric on the back of the shirt” was also helpful First, from the also unused “subway”scenes of the back of her shirt there seems to be a lot of extra fabric bloused at her waistline. So depending on your actual garment the extra fabric may be “screen accurate” even if it does not match your own style. Second, I see you you included the pleats into the back yoke. That does add extra fabric to provide more freedom of movement in the shoulders. I had debated whether or not to include that part of the McCalls M7360 pattern and your observations have helped me validate my decision to draft it out.

The collar of the shirt is definitely the most challenging. I can say you may be more successful in lowering the neckline than you ever could in raising it so if you are going to err you probably did it to the “right” side.

A final note is that you may want to reexamine your work for all the things you did correctly. If you do,then in addition to all the things you list as problems with your finished product you will have the list of things I am still struggling with my works in progress. To get you started; How did she get the sleeves caps set in so well, Why doesn't the end of her darts pucker, How does she keep her topstitching so consistent, etc.? (Theoretically I know these things; but in practice – not so much.)

There are probably other insights we could all (me) benefit from your successes as well such as how long you made the sleeves and body of the shirt in relationship to the wrist and waist , any helpful hints on flat fell seams, working with the cotton-linen blend, etc. However I know all that takes away from getting the projects complete so instead I look forward to progress posts on the pants.

@smithjohnj thank you so much for your vote of confidence! You're so right, we're usually our own worst critic. The fabric for the shirt is honestly the perfect color, and especially now after I've started working on the pants, I've become more happy with it. As for the things you mentioned that are more tricky, the sleeve caps were entirely by accident. I usually have a terrible time adding sleeves to every garment and aggressively cross my fingers while sewing them. I wish I had a better tip to help. The darts, though - and actually, for everything, and especially the pants seams, which I'll get to in a second - iron EVERYTHING. Pressing makes sewing everything easier, but especially flat-felled seams and keeping things like darts from puckering. I'm trying to work on topstitching lines and found my zipper foot works wonders at keeping things even and consistent, especially if you want to get topstitching next a seam or an edge. After hemming the sleeves they ended up being about 17 inches from the shoulder with about 2 to 2.5 inches from the wrist. I eyeballed the hems to be about 6.5 inches from the waist, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. I also used the size 12 pattern for the shirt - thank you so much for your help with the shoulder seams! I never could have figured that out without you.

I started the pants yesterday using the Burda 7123 pattern. The pattern is rather nice, actually - it's simple. I used Kaufman stretch cotton twill in charcoal (which is apparently no longer available from fabric.com!) and at first I had my reservations about the color, but now that I've taken photos of the fabric in different lighting I am actually very happy with it. I planned originally to dye it darker, but it's exactly what I was hoping for. I've added a few photos of the fabric in different lighting below. ALSO I made a HUGE mistake on the inside back panels and waist band: my apartment has horrible lighting, and I thought there was not a "wrong/right" side of the fabric. Had I only paid attention to the "wrong side" grain, I would have realized I'd used the wrong sides of the fabric for the back panels and waist band! I finished sewing the pants and just now realized my utter mistake. I'M SO FRUSTRATED, and you can definitely see it in the photo. But oh well, I digress.
For the Burda pattern I am usually a size 12 but went up to a 14 to account for the additional seams, and it actually worked! This rarely happens to me. The pants are definitely more tight than screen-accurate, but because they are cotton, my hope is with wear they will stretch out. I did not use the whole 5/8" seam allowance to sew the added seams, but I used a large enough seam allowance to make them flat-felled. Also, I found this fantastic tutorial for adding in a zip fly (I used a 9" zipper) and waist band to any pattern. It couldn't have been easier to follow: https://shwinandshwin.com/2013/08/sewing-102-how-to-add-zip-fly-to-any.html

To add in the back seams, I found that if you extend the pattern grain line arrow to the bottom cuff edge and cut along the grain line arrow, you'll get a perfectly centered back seam for each leg. The seams will not overlap the darts that are already in the pattern. So my goal was to finish the pants as much as possible, and then this week I'll cut below the knee, rip out the outside front panel, and use that panel as a measurement guide for the pin tucks. When I'm finished with the pin tucks I'll reattach the pin tuck panel onto the other three panels for each leg, then reattach all four panels to the bottom of the pants. Last I'll add the webbing (likely hand stitch to attach). I hope this makes sense.

Here's what I have so far, and various photos of the fabric/seams in different lighting. Sorry about the dark photos, also! The weather is really odd here today. I'll get better photos later.

20161011_083629.jpg5912.jpeg5911.jpeg20170211_210609.jpg20170211_210616.jpg

Last edited:
@Restill this is really great work!! I completely admire you for making your own pants, I had no such courage and ended up taking apart and modifying an existing pair, this is super impressive!

I would say, I think if you're considering re-doing the back panel anyway because of the mismatched fabric --- I don't think it's really noticeable so I'm not at all saying you have to do this --- it might be better to line up your center back seam with the back darts so you have a straight line up and down from your ankle to your waist or one that is only very slightly curved, and not one that "Vs" in? I am rifling through all my Jyn references and want to say it's possibly identifiable on this photo?:

star-wars-rogue-one-canary-wharf.jpg

I mention this to be helpful --- I think your work is great and you did an amazing job --- just a friendly suggestion if you were going to re-do a part of it anyway, but not at all necessary. And your shirt color is PERFECT!!!! I am so jealous. I thought mine was awesome until I took pictures of it and it went from a beautiful dark dusty grey blue to BLOOOOOO. *sigh* I'm hoping it's just my camera acting up (the light sensor was busted and I since took it to Nikon to be fixed, so the exposure on a lot of my photos I took before the repair I think is just off). But more likely, I'll be making this stupid shirt for a third time.

And loving the necklace too!! You also got yours from Soulinertia? Don't you just love it??

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back