War Machine Mk1 Suit - Iron Man 2 - Foam Pepakura Build

Couple of update pictures for now. Updated wearing all the built armor pic. Getting pretty amped about how its turning out. Finished making my new chest piece, since my first one was so DUMP. Also got all the stenciling done on the armor pieces. Still have some of the same things to work on. Still have to build the electronics in the eyes, arc reactor, and gloves. Still working on the mini gun, but I have made some progress. Dont mind the exposed neck lol. I made a neck balaclava thing to cover the exposed skin haha
20140703_233813.jpg20140703_233600.jpg20140706_214836.jpg20140711_200534.jpg20140711_201016.jpg20140711_201137.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man this looks amazing. Have any info on the strapping system?

I can draw up a diagram of how I did my strapping system if youd like! But basically I went to Walmart, bought two packs of black straping down gear strap rolls. They come in like 20 feet rolls. Bought black buckles that come in packs of two. Both of these can be found in the camping section. They're for like backpack repair or gear securing. For like the chest piece section I reccomend gluing the buckles right to the inside edge of your gear like your chest and shoulders. The other pieces like your arms and legs can attach those buckles to the straps and hot glued appropriately to the insides of your chest or cod to hold those in place.

Oh man this looks amazing. Have any info on the strapping system?
datachomper Haha, I met you at Dragon Con. Didn't know you were the guy that I had talked to a long time ago on this thread. I was the guy that chatted with you after the Avengers meet up that told you I was the other War Machine, and that I couldn't wear my suit that day. I kept getting asked if I was you lol. Your 3D printed suit was quite the chatter lol. Ive been slacking on posting updates and completion pictures on here :( But I met you at Dragon Con so everything seemed to mostly have worked out I guess. Anyway, Im going to post how I did my strapping system anyway in case anyone else is interested how I did it.

WM6.jpg

So in this quick diagram I drew up to this attached image on the post, Yellow indicates that black strapping material I referenced last post. The Red circles indicate connected male and female buckles I referenced last post. And the Purple circles indicate Chicago bolts I used to secure pieces together to bend at those locations.

So starting with the first figure on the left, you can see I attached the shoulder pieces directly to the top side area of the chest piece. This is also indicated on the figure to the right. I used to buckles per shoulder piece to attach them. I used Chicago bolts to fasten the biceps and forearms together, as to make them one whole unit that I slide my arm into. Then on the inside of the outer edge of the biceps I used straps and buckles to attach the whole arm to the outer center of the shoulder piece. This helped keep the shoulders down as well, so they didn't flop about and expose my morph suit underneath. I also put a quick strap with no bucklers from the forearms to the hand plate armor. This allowed it to flex up and down when I angled my hands up and down for repulsor shot photos or something. As you can see there are 3 sections to the abs. When I was making my abs I didn't glue or attach that top 1st section to the rest of the abs assembly. I did this to create the look idea that the top section of abs could flex up and down as my torso flexed. I did this by simply attaching 3 separate straps to the inside are of that ab portion to the inside front of the chest piece. I attached the abs to the chest piece by attaching a strap and buckle from the front inside of the abs seen in the left figure, and by attaching a strap and buckle to the rear inside of the abs sort of seen in the right figure.Next I attached my Cod piece to my chest as well, the straps for this hid nicely underneath my abs. The straps and buckler were glued to the inner sides of my cod and to the inner sides of my chest piece. Then I attached quads to my cod piece by attaching the straps and buckles behind the hip pod flexor circle things. It hides behind them pretty good anyway. And lastly, I just used Chicago bolts on both sides of my ankles as shown in the diagram to attach my shins to my boots. I never did attach my shins to my quads, and personally it didn't appear that I needed to. The quads stayed held up by my cod piece, and the cod piece held up by the chest piece. So the shins were left alone to flex as they would need to in any weird side to side movement while walking.

Anyway! My suit at the time of this post has been completed for a couple months now. Sorry I haven't posted any completion pics yet. I'll get hot on that after this post and monitor this thread for any future War Machine MK1 suit questions!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks awesome - for a first time builder, you're knocking out of the park. A couple of things I've learned in working on foam projects:

Invest in a heat gun: like a $20 one from Lowes will make your world much easier. First, you can heat the foam pieces and pre-shape them which makes gluing much easier. Second, you can run it over glue overages to clean up seams gently without having to use the direct heat of the gun tip. Third, you can use it all over to seal the foam before coating. This cuts your sealing time down to almost nothing.

Plasti-Dip: I am preaching this gospel all over the place. Use the brush on, not the spray. They are both Plasti-Dip, but they do not cure the same way. The brush on self-corrects much better and it's easier to control. Keep a small bowl of Naphtha (get it at any hardware store in the solvents section) nearby to use to both thin out the PD as you use it and you can also brush it lightly over the piece to smooth out the PD as it cures. Also, don't PD in weather over about 78 degrees. You can literally watch it cure in minutes.

Cheers!

Here's some completion pictures of the final product in my living room and at a couple of conventions! :D

Full Fit Test 01.JPGFull Fit Test 05.JPGFull Fit Test 02.JPG
20140830_230220.jpgDSCN1700.JPGDSCN1703.JPG

The Iron Man Mk7 next to me in my living room is my good bud Caleb Baker He built his suit at the same time as me :D

I want/need to give a mad shout out STEALTH for the War Machine files and the duct tape manikin help. wondersquid for the amazing vacuform guns he made for me!. Caleb Baker for all the long nights cutting and gluing foam together in out living rooms LOL ironmaided and all those that also helped me out find information on this site and the intarwebz to get this built!

I plan on making a Warlock suit from the game Destiny some time in the future, but I will definitely stick around on this forum to answer any questions and help out where I can!

@datachomper Haha, I met you at Dragon Con. Didn't know you were the guy that I had talked to a long time ago on this thread. I was the guy that chatted with you after the Avengers meet up that told you I was the other War Machine, and that I couldn't wear my suit that day.

Thanks for the update! It was cool meeting you at d*con. The strapping/padding system for my suit cost me the most headaches. I ended up doing almost the same thing here. I used nylon strapping down the arms and legs. The straps I attached with boltsnaps because velcro and glue kept coming off the fiberglass/plastic on my suit.

Looks awesome - for a first time builder, you're knocking out of the park.

Thanks a lot man! Appreciate it a bunch!
datachomper Glad you remember me :D I was so freaking bummed I couldn't get in my suit and line up with you and the other War Machine! Yeah I bet your suit was a bit more interesting to attach with your different material. Man you must have used so much freaking PLA to print that thing. Its pretty cool man! You should update your avatar on this forum to you in your suit man

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back