How long does Pep "keep" without Resin?

Grenex

I was reading some threads and one mentioned a pep armor that was starting to sag because they had not resined it yet. I have a piece of armor that I did, but have not resined yet until I finish my IM helmet. Should I be concerned about it warping or losing its proper shape?

I've had a few helmet start to deform over time ( few weeks ), but what I do to prevent this is put a very thin coating of hot glue over the inside of the Pep. Like this.

7782518808_0a8a94ea29_c.jpg

I hope you can see that.

Re: How long does Pep "keep" without Resin?

I've had a few helmet start to deform over time ( few weeks ), but what I do to prevent this is put a very thin coating of hot glue over the inside of the Pep. Like this.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7139/7782518808_0a8a94ea29_c.jpg

I hope you can see that.

Hmmm.... I pepped my IM chest armor about 2 months ago. Did not intend to resin it anytime soon, but after reading other threads and looking at it, I am not sure what to do now. Maybe start it over?

I like the hot glue idea. Does it actually help it keep shape!?

I was reading some threads and one mentioned a pep armor that was starting to sag because they had not resined it yet. I have a piece of armor that I did, but have not resined yet until I finish my IM helmet. Should I be concerned about it warping or losing its proper shape?

It depends on a few things ( im my experience)

Local Humidity.. You don't want the paper sitting where its going to pull lots of moisture from the air that'll make it warp fast.
Temptation... The more you or anyone else fiddles with it tries it on because it looks cool etc etc will cause it to loose shape without resin.
Position.. keeping a paper pep in a position it wasn't supposed to be in IE a Boba Fett helmet Upside down on a desk might give you some issues.

I keep mine out in my Garage its dry. out of the way of fiddling fingers ( including my own) I and they keep their shape for 2-3 weeks. which is just enough time for the wife to forget about the "honey do" list and I can escape to the garage to resin them. If im worried about things warping I use alot of internal support struts that I'll remove once I resin the piece. I don't recommend leaving them UN resin'd for an extended period of time though.

Re: How long does Pep "keep" without Resin?

Hmmm.... I pepped my IM chest armor about 2 months ago. Did not intend to resin it anytime soon, but after reading other threads and looking at it, I am not sure what to do now. Maybe start it over?

I like the hot glue idea. Does it actually help it keep shape!?

Yes, it does really well. It also helps keep the tabs glued together while it was yet to be resined.

If your chest piece looks okay, then by all means just go ahead with the piece. I'm sure you'll be able to determine if it has warped or not.

I have few IM helmets that I pepped and haven't resined. They have been sitting on top of my office TV and shelves for about 6 months and none of them are warped yet.

Granted I probably go a bit overboard with the superglue, but I also live in the hot and humid South Eastern US.

I have a half-full warehouse of unresined peps and they're OK. I try to make sure they are well supported and reinforced. What I have started doing is giving them two coats of resin on the outside, using left over resin from other pep projects. The second coat really stiffens it up much more than the first one alone. Then I wax the inside of the pep with car polish paste - cheap stuff works fine - and if you use rondo on the inside of your pep before fibreglassing, the card peels off like you wouldn't believe. Anyway, got off topic, but back to your original question - they'll be fine until you get round to resining them. Cheers!

From my experience, HUMIDITY kills the pep, I dont think its good to keep pep pieces for a long time without resining them.. I did keep some pep pieces without resin and when I resined them, they warped and didnt keep their shape cause the humidity made the paper soft.. just an advice:)

I've had pep models for 3 years cause I allways start stuff and then let it sit till I'm motivated to work on it again. no sagging as of today'

Humidity. Right now I wake in the morning with all the surfaces of my furniture in a film of water. So if I am doing anything card related I wait until the last minute and use a heavy card stock. Even so it can take a lot of work to get nice smooth flat surfaces when I want them!

Good comments about the humidity. I have a cupboard (actually an old refridgerated drinks cabinet) with an 80 watt light bulb inside, that I use for curing resin. It runs at about 34 degrees Celcius inside. Its handy for drying out peps before resining. Maybe a cardboard box with a light bulb inside would help with dring out damp card?

I think the light bulb inside a cardboard box would be a major fire hazard would not trust it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back