Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

If you decide you dont want to make one, ive got a couple im finishing over the next couple of weeks that arent spoken for yet, they are just like the one in post 3235 above.

If you decide you dont want to make one, ive got a couple im finishing over the next couple of weeks that arent spoken for yet, they are just like the one in post 3235 above.
I'll definitely keep that in mind if I can't find anything! Thanks for the offer!

Edit: Since we're talking about the shoulder pad, how does one attach it to the backpack strap? That's been bugging me for a little while as I can't find any good pictures of it from above.

Last edited:
If you look at the drinking pic in 3237 you can see a lighter strap around the bp shoulder strap with a buckle and that is correct afaik. Somewhere, i have a pic that shows that buckle on a display costume.

20170428_232917.jpg

Here's the pic of how my silk turned out. It doesn't show the exact color, it's a little greyer in real life. It's almost exactly the color of Rey's pants in the visual dictionary, if that helps.

I think I might have found a reliable source of rugs for the shoulder pad. I haven't been able to get the dollar store rug, but Kohls has a park b. Smith Chindi rug that looks as though it might have the exact same weave as the shoulder pad. The two closest colors are Linen, which is very close in color to some of my reference pics minus weathering, but is currently sold out. The other color - the one I bought- is sage, and that is the color that appears to be the green the dollar store rug was. Here's the link to the rugs if anyone else would like to check it out. I'm hoping this works! I tried the eBay rug mentioned above, but it is more of a woven yarn type of rug.
http://mobile.kohls.com/product/prd-2293512/park-b-smith-chindi-solid-rug.jsp

The Kohls right came in today, and it looks pretty good.
20170511_152615.jpg

This pic was taken outside on a cloudy day. The color is very accurate to the pic on the website.
14945348314321391685935.jpg

Here's one that better shows the color (before I completely change it, lol).

The smallest size is 5x8? Bloody Hell!

There's enough material there for probably 30 or more shoulder pads. Each pad after all is only about 9"x9". Perhaps you should make and offer them? Or cut it up into 10" squares and sell them.

The ones that i bought at Dollar General over a year ago were 6 dollars and were about 2x3. I STILL have loads left. I couldn't see paying 75.00 for a rug just to make one shoulder pad. That's crazy.

The smallest size is 5x8? Bloody Hell!

There's enough material there for probably 30 or more shoulder pads. Each pad after all is only about 9"x9". Perhaps you should make and offer them? Or cut it up into 10" squares and sell them.

The ones that i bought at Dollar General over a year ago were 6 dollars and were about 2x3. I STILL have loads left. I couldn't see paying 75.00 for a rug just to make one shoulder pad. That's crazy.

No, the one I got isn't that big!!! I would never spend that much on a rug just to cut it up!
The smallest size is the 20x40, and that is in inches! Pretty small, only 11 bucks, and the color looks very close to the dollar store one you found.

- - - Updated - - -

Sage looks pretty green on their website, the one you got kind of looks like the silver option?

The rug does look more silver in my pics, but it is closer to the Kohls website color in person.

Hmmm....

I followed the Kohl's link provided, and the smallest available was indeed 5x8. Perhaps they've sold out of smaller ones.

In any case I've still got plenty of my Dollar General one on hand.. so I'm good. :)

Hi guys! I am just starting my Rey costume and I wanted to thank all of you for the incredible resources in this thread! You all have such wonderful costumes and I hope mine can be at a similar level :)

I have been busy sourcing fabrics and the little bits and was looking for help sourcing two pieces for her belt satchel - the two bits of metal on the front strap which seem to be some kind of buckle and a webbing end tip. I've managed to find some on eBay but they only seem to be sold in lots of 25. Has anyone found a source to buy them individually (or even in smaller groups)?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide, and I look forward to showing you my work as I make progress!

Hi everyone. I keep meaning to post pictures of my progress but get so wrapped up in it all that I forget. But my pants, shirt, tabard wrap dress, belt and bracer are done. And best of all my hip pouch is done. That one I am particularly proud of. It took me 5 tries to get one I liked. I used the canvas ammo bag Redwillow used in her bag build, so it is not perfectly screen accurate and don't look inside. The seams look a mess! But I'm really excited that I did it!
ReyHipBag.jpg

Now I'm just finishing the staff and arm wraps and am hoping folks could lend some advice.
1. for the arm wraps, for those who used the boots brand gauze was that gauze a kind of tan color? The ones I'm using (E-Z brand from ebay that again Redwillow posted. Thanks!) are and I'm wondering what that did to the dye bath. My tabard is dyed using Rit Taupe and Tan. Its not a huge deal. At this point fiddling with dye samples is like old times with this costume.

2. for the staff. I couldn't find pictures of where the staff strap connects to the shaft. Anyone have one? Also, I'm making this version with PVC pipe given Boston Comic Con's strict rules around what materials props can be made out of (no wood, no metal. My first staff is mounted on an aluminum shaft :() I was reading back through the thread where there was conversation about using coupler's to join two pieces of PVC so the staff could be broken down. Did anyone try this? How did it work out? Any tips or tricks? I'm thinking a coupler could look a lot like one of the pieces and I could use like a 2 foot and 4 foot section of PVC pipe. But I guess it might be better under the wrappings. Hmmm. Well I'll take any thoughts! If couples don't work out I'm going to try the trick mentioned by Jackwabbit and stuff a smaller PVC pipe into the larger to add some rigidity.

Thanks!

for arm wraps I used:
1/4 oz RIT taupe + 3/8 oz RIT pearl gray in 4 qtys of water, more info on it at:
https://emeraldb.com/2016/11/13/star-wars-rey-costume-part-7-arm-wraps/

rey-arm-wraps.jpg

For the staff, I cut mine last year under the wraps and added PVC couplings. It works, but you will need to be careful with it. It holds well but it's tight to screw on and off and it could def break at the couplings if you stress it in the middle. Mine fell over once and snapped the threading coupling in half, so I had to re-do it.

Just get a male pvc adapter (slip one side and male thread on the other), and a slip to thread female coupling in your pipe size, you can use PVC pipe cement to glue the fittings on the pipe.

.... I can try to take a pic of it for you if you need, I have to break mine down for Megacon anyway :D

Last edited:
I've wondered the same thing. I did find a place in the UK that sells them in packs of two. But they never emailed me back. But they are here: http://www.htc-reproductions.co.uk/RepairHardware.htm. If anyone has leads on other options I'd love to hear more! Or if people want to go in on a shared order I'd be into that too.

Unfortunately these are not the correct hardware for the belt satchel. These are reproductions of US webbing hardware, whereas a british M37 Signal Satchel was used for the belt pouch, and as such it's got British webbing hardware.

s-l300.jpg

I have several of these straps in my surplus store, and would be glad to furnish them to others for accurizing their pouches. You can salvage the hardware off these straps. The only difficulty would be in drilling out the rivets which hold the strap tip on and fitting new ones.

Another option would be to just cut the end of the strap off with the tip on it and sew it to your satchel...but the straps that I have are green instead of Khaki, so you'd have to muck about trying to bleach out the colour first.

The tri glide buckle could just be cut off and sewn onto the appropriate place on your satchel.

I actually lightly spray painted my wraps. Did it from a distance with tan or brown and grey - I honestly don't remember. I think it was a khaki tan paint and they very lightly done with grey. They were slightly off white and I just kind of dusted them to make them more tannish grey.

Speaking of, this cracked me up and made me sympathize: "At this point fiddling with dye samples is like old times with this costume." Indeed!

As for using a coupler, I used one, too. I used a threaded coupler and glued it well in place (before I did this, it was a bit wobbly for me). I put mine under my wrap near the middle of the staff. It works fine, though I honestly rarely break down my staff because taking the wrap on and off and getting it right afterward is a pain. Also, at that coupling point, it honestly doesn't help me much. The two pieces are still too big to fit in my suitcase for far-away cons, so I'll still have to ship or get a bigger suitcase or add another coupler. I was actually just thinking about this the other day and wishing I had made mine break into three sections for travel purposes and just put the couplers on the uncovered part of the staff (well, one of them, anyway - the other could likely go near the bottom of the wrap). Because you're right. They would look like part of the staff. Not quite as accurate, but much more practical for the real world.

That said, I shipped to Dragon Con for the first time two years ago (missed last year - bummer), and it was the best thing ever. So no biggie. I can ship again.

And the double layer PVC thing does work. It's a bit of a trick to get it done, but it works fine.

1" PVC with the staff parts on it, then 3/4" PVC inside the larger pipe, but put something thin around the smaller pipe to make it fit super tightly (I used one layer of electrical tape).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back