Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

Question: If they could generate a shield around an entire planet like Scarif, why didn't they just do the same at Endor? And speaking if Endor, I never really understood, was Endor the name of the moon itself or was Endor the planet the moon orbited around? "The forest moon of Endor" could really go either way.

Endor was the moon. The Wookieepedia say the planet had the same name. Apparently Republic cartographers were letting the interns name things that day.

I thought it was called Sanctuary moon.

That's a good point, I always wondered why they called it that. Yet they always referred to it as THE Sanctuary moon, so I don't think that was the name but more a description of it. However, due to the (I think) definition of Sanctuary, I'm not sure why they would call it that.

That's a good point, I always wondered why they called it that. Yet they always referred to it as THE Sanctuary moon, so I don't think that was the name but more a description of it. However, due to the (I think) definition of Sanctuary, I'm not sure why they would call it that.
I thought it was the Sanctuary moon because Endor was a protected wildlife habitat of fuzzy teddy bears....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Let's not forget, those 'fuzzy teddy bears' were gonna spit roast (not like that) and eat Han, Chewie and Luke.
Didn't you see the sign?

f4f7c72be1101c91aa3c6cd76b902522.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It's a sanctuary moon because those smelly space hippies on Alderaan didn't want the "environment" destroyed.

Does anyone remember what ship is destroyed when the Avenger comes out of hyperspace? I couldn't tell if it was a fighter or a smaller ship like a Blockade Runner. That also made me think of how they would keep that from happening in normal traffic. I assume that's where they would have specific entry/exit vectors from a planet to prevent that. I don't recall ever reading anything in the old EU about that other than that there are known hyperspace routes that are safe.

In an early draft of Return of the Jedi Endor was a moon orbiting Coruscant, which was called Had Abbadon at the time. The concept of a sanctuary moon made sense in that context because of Coruscant's absence of anything natural. So, George and Co. either forgot to update the dialog to reflect the final version of the plot, or they just didn't think it necessary or important enough to change.

I don't like fan edits, I think it's a slap in the face of the original creators. I hesitantly share this, but some here might enjoy this...

http://www.maple-films.com/rogue-one-fanedit

The Battle of Scarif is just under 50 minutes long, making it a nice little companion piece to the original theatrical release. Alternatively, you could watch this right before A New Hope! The main point of this edit is to focus on the epic battle sequence from Rogue One, while also adding elements to make it fit in more with the other Star Wars films. This means, among other things:An opening text crawl, which summarizes the events of Rogue One leading up to the battle of Scarif.
Insertion of several music cues from John Williams. About 50-60% of the film's score is now comprised of classic Star Wars cues.
Classic Star Wars sound effects added in certain places, along with a few old-school wipe transitions.
Other cuts and adjustments to scenes throughout the battle, either to fit the new music cues or to pace the film a bit differently. For example, there isn't as much back-and-forth cutting between all the different characters anymore. This may have originally been to make the film seem more exciting, but it also made it difficult to follow the action at times.
The film ends exactly as it did in the original version, making it a perfect segue into A New Hope.

Hopefully you enjoy this edit- AFTER you've made sure you own a copy of the original film, of course. And please leave comments or feedback!

It's a sanctuary moon because those smelly space hippies on Alderaan didn't want the "environment" destroyed.

Does anyone remember what ship is destroyed when the Avenger comes out of hyperspace? I couldn't tell if it was a fighter or a smaller ship like a Blockade Runner. That also made me think of how they would keep that from happening in normal traffic. I assume that's where they would have specific entry/exit vectors from a planet to prevent that. I don't recall ever reading anything in the old EU about that other than that there are known hyperspace routes that are safe.

I think it was a Rebel transport.

Ok, well that brings up something I asked earlier. Why would you bring transports?!?!? I could see if they were landing troops, but otherwise they are just targets. It's like they looked at the fleet in ROTJ and thought they needed those. The only thing that ever made sense is the retcon the old EU tried by saying in ROTJ they were made into flying bombs to use against Star Destroyers.

"You go to war with the army you have". I just figure ships were in short supply for the Alliance, so they stuck guns on anything that would fly. Many of the U.S. "Liberty ships" from WWII were sold after the war and became navy ships for other countries, despite being built as freighters.

Ok, well that brings up something I asked earlier. Why would you bring transports?!?!? I could see if they were landing troops, but otherwise they are just targets. It's like they looked at the fleet in ROTJ and thought they needed those. The only thing that ever made sense is the retcon the old EU tried by saying in ROTJ they were made into flying bombs to use against Star Destroyers.

Those transports actually have more laser cannons than the hammerhead frigates.

I watched Rogue One a few weeks ago and it was far better than I was expecting. From the marketing, I really didn't want to watch it. It seemed to be sold as a gritty almost Saving Private Ryan type version of Star Wars. And I thought the story with the Death Star plans was told in an old Star Wars PC videogame. But I think this is the best Star Wars movie after the Original Trilogy. I had mixed feelings about The Force Awakens as it was structured so much like the originals that it didn't seem to have much originally to it. I did feel like the performances were fine but that I really need to see the next two movies to understand where this new Trilogy is going. And I don't want to get into the Prequels again except to say that there is a character in Rogue One that isn't a Jedi, yet puts up more of a fight against stormtroopers than the Jedi in Revenge of the Sith.

I read that a lot of people got back into Star Wars after The Force Awakens. I never really got out of Star Wars but it was just the occasional item from the Original Trilogy. I did get Obi-Wan's prequel lightsaber but for the most part I was out of the merchandise. But Rogue One got me back into it. Maybe it is the nostalgia of the Original Trilogy timeline and feel. But I had many of the same feelings watching Rogue One that I had when I was lucky enough to see The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi in theaters when I was a kid. And Darth Vader is scary again. Although I found it funny, unless I missed it, how they didn't put the title of his planet on screen unlike all the others. There are a few other small things to nitpick about the movie but I think some of those are because of the side nature that this movie falls under. Stuff like the missing transitions and opening title crawl. But those things don't change a good movie.

I don't like fan edits, I think it's a slap in the face of the original creators. I hesitantly share this, but some here might enjoy this...

http://www.maple-films.com/rogue-one-fanedit

Thanks for the link.

I was surprised that Michael Giacchino did the music for Rogue One. It's good in places. There are little bits that recall music from the Original Trilogy. But after The Incredibles I always expect a bit more from him.

I watched Rogue One a few weeks ago and it was far better than I was expecting. From the marketing, I really didn't want to watch it. It seemed to be sold as a gritty almost Saving Private Ryan type version of Star Wars. And I thought the story with the Death Star plans was told in an old Star Wars PC videogame. But I think this is the best Star Wars movie after the Original Trilogy. I had mixed feelings about The Force Awakens as it was structured so much like the originals that it didn't seem to have much originally to it. I did feel like the performances were fine but that I really need to see the next two movies to understand where this new Trilogy is going. And I don't want to get into the Prequels again except to say that there is a character in Rogue One that isn't a Jedi, yet puts up more of a fight against stormtroopers than the Jedi in Revenge of the Sith.

I read that a lot of people got back into Star Wars after The Force Awakens. I never really got out of Star Wars but it was just the occasional item from the Original Trilogy. I did get Obi-Wan's prequel lightsaber but for the most part I was out of the merchandise. But Rogue One got me back into it. Maybe it is the nostalgia of the Original Trilogy timeline and feel. But I had many of the same feelings watching Rogue One that I had when I was lucky enough to see The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi in theaters when I was a kid. And Darth Vader is scary again. Although I found it funny, unless I missed it, how they didn't put the title of his planet on screen unlike all the others. There are a few other small things to nitpick about the movie but I think some of those are because of the side nature that this movie falls under. Stuff like the missing transitions and opening title crawl. But those things don't change a good movie.

I felt the same way. I have genuinely hated Star Wars following the original trilogy. I detest the prequels with a passion and I didn't like TFA much at all. They just don't make movies like they did in the late 70s/early 80s with the original trilogy came out. That's what Star Wars is. Anything else... isn't. But Rogue One, while it isn't perfect, does give you some of the feel that the original trilogy provided. I didn't expect to enjoy RO as much as I did, especially coming off of TFA, but I was pleasantly surprised.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back