The Omen daggers?

Someone said something about a steel dagger blade... :confused ;)

The blade starts out at 18mm dia. x 310mm steel blank.
25519226043_ff851dffff_z.jpg

I put them on the lathe, face each side, drill in center points, then take down a 64mm section of one end to 6mm and add 4 key grooves.
25517093484_aa8e21619f_z.jpg

**Don't try this at home... I'm a professional ;) ... no seriously, don't try this I'm a bit crazy.
The angle needed to taper the dagger blade is ever so slight that it took some trial and error and lots of playing with shims under the dividing head to get it right. One error resulted in a snag that broke the 16mm carbide End Mill I was using. I ended up buying 2 new ones and modifying a drill sharpener I have to sharpen the carbide end mills. I resharpened the broken one first to test and it cut the steel like butter again.
25849014770_b6aa2ae6f7_z.jpg

25517096764_e094857403_z.jpg

Lovely thing about using carbide, the bits flying off are so hot they stick to skin... especially soft, exposed facial skin and burns facial hair. I can still smell the hair burnin. :lol

Here's a finished blade after cutting off the extra bit that the center point sits in and put back in the chuck. On the finial side, after a certain point, the cuts had to be moderate to light to keep things from snagging since it's only about 4mm.
25517103514_62e8f6aa30_z.jpg

And here's a machine-finished steel dagger of Megiddo blade. I then sanded each side by hand to get it to a 3mm tip. These things are very sharp.
26029335052_ecb9318bd4_z.jpg

I didn't have these pics yesterday when I posted the others... A dry-fit of the steel blades and cold-cast hilts.

26036778782_dbf71c0295_z.jpg

25856428500_376f7fd4a5_z.jpg

Just noticing this. PM w/ details when time permits. :thumbsup

Awesome!

-Rylo

Are you interested in a dagger? The blades should be arriving on Tuesday Then I'll be deciding whether to remould, and cast the bronze resin on to the blade, if other parties were interested. If no other parties are interested, I'll just attach them to the hilts I have casted already.

Just want to say thanks to Teddz for the help with the blades. The lad does some fantastically awesome work, and really great communication. I highly recommend him for anyone looking for some metal work to be done!. Just did a gluing of one of the test hilts to a blade, and all worked really well.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick cloudy photograph of some of the messed up test hilts with the blades. Had been my first time using resin and/or brass powder - big learning curve as regard air bubbles etc.. Definitely going to remould and modify the master with new blade, and cold cast the new hilts directly around the new blades inside the new mould.

CON_1740.JPG

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back