Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

No, I'm not talking about the sound quality of the film in general. I'm talking about the sound quality of the film as shown in an IMAX theater. The quality was stunning in Alamo Drafthouse and Studio Movie Grill, but at the Edwards Marq'E Stadium 23 IMAX here in Houston, it was like going from 5.1 surround sound to desktop 2-speaker systems.

Saw it in IMAX 3D last week, and it was just OK, felt a little low compared to the RPX theater I saw the previous week.

RPX so far has had the best sound quality - the opening theme felt like it should, almost explosive at the beginning. Saw it at a UA theater, and it was very tinny sounding. We have an Icon theater here (reclining, reserved seating) and it was just ok there.

Saw it in IMAX 3D last week, and it was just OK, felt a little low compared to the RPX theater I saw the previous week.

RPX so far has had the best sound quality - the opening theme felt like it should, almost explosive at the beginning. Saw it at a UA theater, and it was very tinny sounding. We have an Icon theater here (reclining, reserved seating) and it was just ok there.

Apparently it's already out of our RPX theater here in Houston, so I missed that opportunity... I've noticed that the places like SMG and Alamo (where you can order actual food as opposed to movie theater food) have much better sound quality than other theaters.

Apparently it's already out of our RPX theater here in Houston, so I missed that opportunity... I've noticed that the places like SMG and Alamo (where you can order actual food as opposed to movie theater food) have much better sound quality than other theaters.

Are those the kind of places where the servers come into the audience to take drink orders? We have a couple of those types of theaters in Whale's Vagina, but I've never gone there because A) I don't want to drink beer during a movie, and B) I don't want the distraction of servers in the audience during the picture.

The Wook

So I went to my fourth viewing of TFA today, this time at an IMAX (2D, as 3D doesn't work for me). Maybe it was just the theater itself, but did anyone else feel a bit underwhelmed by the sound quality? I've seen it at Studio Movie Grill and Alamo Drafthouse, and the sound quality was a thousand times better than at the IMAX. Heck, even my car stereo did more justice to the soundtrack than the theater!

I had the same problem on my first viewing, very weak sound which led me to poo poo the score. But my second viewing was in Regal RPX and it was like night and day, much better. I walked in and noticed the walls were studded with Klipsch speakers and right away I knew it would be different. The opening theme sounded fine to me as did the rest of the score. Unfortunately they've already moved TFA out of the RPX auditoriums, I hoped to go back at least once more.

Are those the kind of places where the servers come into the audience to take drink orders? We have a couple of those types of theaters in Whale's Vagina, but I've never gone there because A) I don't want to drink beer during a movie, and B) I don't want the distraction of servers in the audience during the picture.

The Wook

Yes they are.

It's not just alcohol they serve in many of these places. Quite a few have full menus. Granted, you can't order a steak dinner, but they usually offer burgers, pizza, appetizers, shakes, desserts, etc. and it's all really good stuff as well.

As far as the servers are concerned, they don't just randomly walk through and ask if you need anything like in a regular restaurant. They only come when summoned, usually via a small light you turn on at your seat (don't worry... it's quite often red in color and not very bright... just enough for them to see it but not enough to distract you from the film). The Alamo Drafthouse, however, has you put up an order card, on which you write down what you want. When they see it (and they do look for them), they come by, grab it, and go. When they do come by, they try to stay unobtrusive via crouching down and talking softly. Most places like this actually allow you to start seating as much as 30 minutes prior to the start time to allow you to look over the menu and place your order, and your meal could very well arrive prior to the movie even starting, and often comes during the trailers.

The only time they come by without being called is when they drop off and pick up the check, and I usually just have my credit card or cash ready and available so I can just put it on there with a minimum of fuss and no part of the movie missed. They come back around, pick it up, and bring it back once they've cashed it out. Some are a bit different in that if you want to use a card, they pre-swipe it so they just bring you the check all ready for signature and tip, that way they don't have to come back again until after you leave. As far as pocketing the change or putting away the card, I just wait until the credits roll.

They've really got it down to an art form. I'd suggest trying one out at least on a movie you've already seen just to get a feel for the experience before completely writing off the idea.

I had the same problem on my first viewing, very weak sound which led me to poo poo the score. But my second viewing was in Regal RPX and it was like night and day, much better. I walked in and noticed the walls were studded with Klipsch speakers and right away I knew it would be different. The opening theme sounded fine to me as did the rest of the score. Unfortunately they've already moved TFA out of the RPX auditoriums, I hoped to go back at least once more.

Well, being a music aficionado (snob just sounds degrading), I could immediately tell the difference between the LSO and the one they used. I was a bit disappointed, but really only with the Main Title. Episode VII's Main Title piece seems a bit too fluid compared to the LSO version. The LSO Main Titles were a lot brighter in tone and definitely had more staccato in the notes.

The rest of the Episode VII score was just fine, though. I absolutely ADORE Rey's Theme, Farewell and the Trip, and The Jedi Steps and Finale. In fact, what I thought was the most brilliant addition to the score was at the very end of The Jedi Steps and Finale. The Main Title leitmotif was played by a single xylophone. I don't know why I like it so much, but I do.

Yeah my issue was a technical one too,not the soundtrack itself. The music was much louder on subsequent viewing. Love Reys theme too. Can't wait to own the bluray.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/if-the-force-awakens-was-way-shorter-more-honest/ - Check out this awesome article on Cracked.com

Heh heh

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I just skimmed over it and the first thing the author did not get was that the map is just a LEAD to where Luke MAY be and not part of a definitive road map. The map is far mote important. I just found an article on that subject: http://www.cinemablend.com/m/new/St...-Map-What-It-Might-Really-Mean-101247-p2.html

Haters gonna hate and for that reason do not or did not watch the movie paying full attention. They WANT to hate that movie.

The latter is the main difference to those h8ers and how I personally dislike the prequels. I WANTED to love TPM and watched them several times. I dislike them NOT for their lack of originality. I dislike them because of the bad acting, the bad dialogue and the bad storytelling.

TFA has better acting, better dialogues and better storytelling. It is less original when iz comes to creating new worlds or visuals and goes way back, but so was the OT. Except for Cloud City we did not get many exotic places but locations we can relate to here on Earth. And I say that this was a huge factor in making the saga believeable and why people related so well to it.

The sound issue is a theater problem. My first viewing sounded great. Second viewing at another theater sounded like crap. It all has to do with the theater sound system. When I go to the movies I want the place to be rumbling.

I just skimmed over it and the first thing the author did not get was that the map is just a LEAD to where Luke MAY be and not part of a definitive road map. The map is far mote important. I just found an article on that subject: http://www.cinemablend.com/m/new/St...-Map-What-It-Might-Really-Mean-101247-p2.html

Haters gonna hate and for that reason do not or did not watch the movie paying full attention. They WANT to hate that movie.

The latter is the main difference to those h8ers and how I personally dislike the prequels. I WANTED to love TPM and watched them several times. I dislike them NOT for their lack of originality. I dislike them because of the bad acting, the bad dialogue and the bad storytelling.

TFA has better acting, better dialogues and better storytelling. It is less original when iz comes to creating new worlds or visuals and goes way back, but so was the OT. Except for Cloud City we did not get many exotic places but locations we can relate to here on Earth. And I say that this was a huge factor in making the saga believeable and why people related so well to it.
As far as that map goes, the fact that we have had SO MANY supplement articles explaining this stuff leads me to think that their storytelling isn't quite on the money.

And the difference between this and the prequels is that we had the MCU, the pirates of the Caribbean, and the star trek franchise to prepare us.

I wanted to love it too, but there were a lot of really bad elements to those those franchises. They leave you feeling offended.

And it wasn't hard to see those same elements pop up here.

And what's more, is that those systemic problems with modern action movies has made me appreciate the prequels more. There was so much wrong with them, but at least they stood on their own. Lucas was right. He was trying to tell new stories. And this is trying to sell nostalgia

And you are right, the characters are awesome in this. Loved them. Their story is worthy of the star wars saga. B

But I'll take a shaky yet original fantasy film over a shaky committee-made action movie any day.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

There are different audio mixes for different sound systems, for sure. People have mentioned that the Wilhelm sound is difficult to hear in the IMAX mix.

BTW. In my opinion, food has no place in a cinema. I think that the crunch of popcorn and crisps is more than enough distracting sounds and I would not stand the smells of food in the theatre.

The main problem with the sound as far as a frw friends who know their John Williams goes is that he did not work with the LSO. And the weakness of quality and Oomph is heard all across the globe.

Regarding originality, the next movies will show if they can really run with the ball and drive it home or if the Star Wars Saga really came to an end with ep6.

After a whole month I finally saw the film for the very first time, without seeing a single trailer or anything. Basically knowing almost nothing. :D It really felt like a Star Wars film :) so many goosebumps/chill moments. It was also the first time I saw a film in IMAX format(man, what a huge image). Were there things I hated? Absolutely, like the stupid saber cross guard, flamey lightsaber effect, Han getting freaking killed :( :( :( :(

Star Wars is back :D Thank you J.J. & co :love

There are different audio mixes for different sound systems, for sure. People have mentioned that the Wilhelm sound is difficult to hear in the IMAX mix.

BTW. In my opinion, food has no place in a cinema. I think that the crunch of popcorn and crisps is more than enough distracting sounds and I would not stand the smells of food in the theatre.

That would apply to the idiots who never did learn how to chew with their mouths closed.

I heard the Wilhelm scream but it definitely wasn't in your face.

our AMC theater was recently remodeled with big electric reclining chairs. new screens and projectors, 3D theaters as well. they installed a bar too... the one thing the remodel lacks is a new sound system. I've seen a few movies at AMC here and i can't believe they gone through the entire theater and didnt bother to upgrade the sound... so going into star wars i knew the sound would suck

twice though i jumped when the damn falcon blew that gas line lol

After a whole month I finally saw the film for the very first time, without seeing a single trailer or anything. Basically knowing almost nothing. :D It really felt like a Star Wars film :) so many goosebumps/chill moments. It was also the first time I saw a film in IMAX format(man, what a huge image). Were there things I hated? Absolutely, like the stupid saber cross guard, flamey lightsaber effect, Han getting freaking killed :( :( :( :(

Star Wars is back :D Thank you J.J. & co :love

That would apply to the idiots who never did learn how to chew with their mouths closed.

I heard the Wilhelm scream but it definitely wasn't in your face.

You weren't spoiled?! Did you divorce yourself from the internet for a month? Lol! :p

Wow! I left this thread 5 days ago and just spent too much time catching up on 16 pages. It got pretty crazy for a while here. :) I still haven't had a chance for a 2nd viewing but I'm still pretty much giddy as a schoolgi...er, school person when I think of this movie. ;) The Falcon will NOT be destroyed under any circumstances, I think it will be the "bridge" piece that carries through all 3 movies. Think of the potential toy sales people!! The MF is one of 2 Star Wars toys my daughter has decided NOT to sell. :cool:thumbsup
Speaking as somebody that has been in co-ed Judo and MMA classes, there are plenty of women that have feminine builds and the ability to kick serious ass, I live with two of them. Frankly Kylo Ren doesn't look all that intimidating as a physical specimen anyway (no offense Adam!), if we aren't going to generalize people based on their genitalia and speak to the specifics then I'd give Daisy odds over Adam if they stepped into the octagon. As far as the characters go, Kylo has training (we don't know how much) but also lacks discipline, it's clear Rey knows how to use melee weapons as a matter of survival, and that is a strong motivator (she's no R5-D4 ;) ). Adding in the serious injury Kylo suffered previously and Rey's force ability coming to the fore (perhaps from the lightsaber?) the fight's outcome seems plausible to me.

I'd give Daisy odds over Adam if they stepped into the octagon.

Oh Lordy! LMFAO I'll take that bet!!! Adam's a 6' 3" ex-Marine. But even if he was a 5' 8" couch potato, he'd turn Daisy's lights out with one punch.

Of course, I'd never want to see them fight. Men should never engage the weaker sex in physical violence. One punch from a man Adam's size and with his hand-to-hand combat training, could very easily do more than turn Daisy's lights out, it could end her life.

So let's stop this foolish talk. If you want to believe the Force was an equalizing factor in the movie, that's one thing. But don't bring it into the real world, cause it just doesn't pass the giggle test.

The Wook

I'm 6'3" 215lbs, and have been tossed by women smaller than me plenty of times. I've seen plenty of guys with the "weaker" sex mentality smacked, choked, arm-barred and pinned by women in class. I'm glad people can feel they are "superior" based on what's between their legs, the idea that a couch potato can take out somebody that obviously engages in daily physical training based on gender, well ...the giggle test indeed!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back