The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

image.jpgI've got a million things to fix and re work, and I know it isn't nearly close to movie accurate. Everyone on here is so crazy talented, there's no way I could match what you all do.

Yes. That's the cosplay sky coat. I know earlier in the thread, folks were asking to see a photo of it. I think it's a decent base if you're like me, and don't have the skills to build one yourself. I'd clearly prefer one of real leather. I'm going to rebuild the shoulder and forearm armor, and redo that weird brown strip on the bottom left.

Any and and all suggestions are much welcomed and appreciated in all aspects of the costume, especially tips on how to age this thing. (It's faux leather, not real.) You guys are so awesome. Always blown away by what everyone doe on this site, no matter the character, costume, or prop.

P.s. The jacket has a pretty stinky fish odor. It's dissipating a bit, but, any ideas how to get rid of that stench would help)

Just when I thought I had all my props budgeted-for, you come along and make me want to sell things in my house... I am replying to this before you (possibly, perhaps, maybe), did a tutorial. Scrolling through now...

I'm thinking about putting together a kit. Working on my second version now. It's gonna light up too! :thumbsup

Yes. That's the cosplay sky coat. I know earlier in the thread, folks were asking to see a photo of it. I think it's a decent base if you're like me, and don't have the skills to build one yourself. I'd clearly prefer one of real leather. I'm going to rebuild the shoulder and forearm armor, and redo that weird brown strip on the bottom left.

Any and and all suggestions are much welcomed and appreciated in all aspects of the costume, especially tips on how to age this thing. (It's faux leather, not real.) You guys are so awesome. Always blown away by what everyone doe on this site, no matter the character, costume, or prop.

P.s. The jacket has a pretty stinky fish odor. It's dissipating a bit, but, any ideas how to get rid of that stench would help)

I've been toying with getting this myself, but the pleather puts me off, especially considering the price. Sorry if this is cheeky but... Could you post a few more pictures so I could get a better peek of what it looks like?

Yeah, it's a plastic Christmas ornament ;) Perfect time of year for it too. You can pick them up at your local hobby lobby. ;)

I was looking at these on Amazon, actually, but I was concerned they'd be too thin and flimsy to hold up to me trying to get the holes in the top and bottom with a dremel. Thanks for the tip!

Edit: What diameter did you end up going with? I'm thinking 70-80mm is sufficient for something you can palm.

It will dent if you apply enough pressure, but it pops back out. Dremeling the holes into it was a total PITA. I think I went with one closer to 100mm.

Thank you! You are awesome!

I was just listening to "Come and Get Your Love" on the way to work this morning and thinking one of the rat things would be a fun prop to have, too! I was thinking of hunting down a rubber rat and making strategic modifications to make it look alien.

I second more pictures of the coat! As for the smell, that's weird! I'd say wipe it down with a cleaning spray, then get some arm and hammer, which should absorb the smell.

I was just listening to "Come and Get Your Love" on the way to work this morning and thinking one of the rat things would be a fun prop to have, too! I was thinking of hunting down a rubber rat and making strategic modifications to make it look alien.

I almost just ordered a rubber lizard or dinosaur toy to carry with me to Dragon Con, but with blasters, helmet and orb, I already had plenty of props to carry around. It is definitely a great prop idea though. :)

That's one way to do it. I'm going to make mine out of felt. Seeing the concept art the little guy is more colourful than I thought he would be. I thought the skin was maroon or burgundy. Given the setting was stormy, shadowy, and ruinous I could see why I saw it that way. And concepts often go through changes before they're finalised in film. However, I plan on working from the concept art that was kindly shared by OliverQueenIND. I think a kangaroo rat pattern would work with some modifications. But do you think I could find such a pattern? Nope. And I'm not much of a pattern designer.

im making one for the local Halloween ball to use during the contest with the song playing and dancing to it....halloween superstore modified rat, looks translucent to me....will see how it turns out....

That's one way to do it. I'm going to make mine out of felt. Seeing the concept art the little guy is more colourful than I thought he would be. I thought the skin was maroon or burgundy. Given the setting was stormy, shadowy, and ruinous I could see why I saw it that way. And concepts often go through changes before they're finalised in film. However, I plan on working from the concept art that was kindly shared by OliverQueenIND. I think a kangaroo rat pattern would work with some modifications. But do you think I could find such a pattern? Nope. And I'm not much of a pattern designer.

I have the Art of Guardians of the Galaxy book, which is where that concept drawing is from. I don't have it right here in front of me, but I believe that drawing is actually for one of the monsters that fights in the table top battle at the bar on Knowhere (where Drax gets drunk and fights with Groot).

I have the Art of Guardians of the Galaxy book, which is where that concept drawing is from. I don't have it right here in front of me, but I believe that drawing is actually for one of the monsters that fights in the table top battle at the bar on Knowhere (where Drax gets drunk and fights with Groot).

Ah, yes. The lighter colouration is definitely there. Now I don't know what to do because I already bought the felt. :facepalm At least I haven't cut anything out yet. Michaels does not have the colour of felt (maroon or burgundy) that I was initially looking for. Is there any chance when you're in close proximity to your Art of Guardians of the Galaxy book again that you could check to see if it gives a brief description/footnote of what the creature is supposed to be?

Also, how handy is the art book to have? I was thinking about getting a copy for myself more to admire the art but also to utilise it as a reference for costuming and props.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back