Studio Scale building blocks

moffeaton

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
How about a thread where we share the stuff we like to buy that seems universally useful for these models?

Like the Panavise mounts. I like the 883-T, as it extends and offers more versatility.

Also, I have 200 of these Aavid 323005B00000G heatsinks coming tomorrow... lol. I should be set for EVERYTHING for me and a buddy, now, for all the stuff planned. I had a bag of what was probably close to 50, bought ages ago back when they were a LOT cheaper, and over the years I finally used them all on commissions and my own builds. Each X-Wing needs at least 12, and boy does that add up.

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 8.25.03 AM.png

Bolts from Ace hardware for the machined X-Wing armatures - 3/8" coarse all thread.
For the TIE Fighter - 1/2-20 FINE thread. (hard to find the fine thread at a Home Depot)

What else do you all feel like you have to keep buying over and over?

OK your a treasure trove of info tonight. But good as I have been thinking of getting a panavise for the snowspeeder I got from Simon a while back.

I have put in a strong steel bar for a armature but the problem Im thinking is the thread on the top of the panavise looks very short and the snowspeeder is very heavy.

Also there is around a 4 or 5mm gap that is the bottom of the speeder before the thread would even start into the armature.

Thoughts

s-l1600.jpg

I feel like it's safe to post again without getting a flurry of abuse, lol

Oh - someone blew my mind with those Panavises - the top of the thread in the ball has a hex hole - you can use a hex wrench and UNSCREW that threaded piece, and go get a longer one!

It may sound crazy, but I spent only a couple hundred dollars (compare it to the price of ANY kit and it seems reasonable) on "one of every" Plastruct rd and T and what not... it comes in handy with EVERY build... and I replenish or adjust quantities as I build.

Example - this evening I replaced a few T rods that were worse for wear (not from castings but from handling/storage):

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=265451&p=4066924&viewfull=1#post4066924

Here are my Evergreen Styrene and K&S Brass racks. I try to keep every size and shape in stock. Nothing worse than having to run out to the hobby shop just as you're getting in "The Zone". I also buy all thicknesses of styrene sheet in 4' x 8' sheets and keep them on hand. It's expensive to start but in the long run sooooo much cheaper than buying at the hobby shop.

IMG_0495_zpso9bzszzv.jpg

IMG_0496_zpsp9zts7c1.jpg

Mate I used the standard pans use through that hole. No extension required. I dremmel e's out a section under the cockpit floor for the Panavise screw. .

Mate new that but I just got a feeling with the weight and the material going a bit brittle over time that the base of the model might break out so I have a some 25*10 FMS going the full length thru each end so I know it will be solid for many years to come. Must preserve that nice paint job you did.

LOL lord, right? I just bought ten more.

Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 7.01.44 AM.png

Mate I used the standard pans use through that hole. No extension required. I dremmel e's out a section under the cockpit floor for the Panavise screw.

And Jason...... What do I have to buy over and over? F'in 8 Rads. Damn thing is on everything.

...the top of the thread in the ball has a hex hole - you can use a hex wrench and UNSCREW that threaded piece, and go get a longer one!

Sorry to revive an old thread, but is this the hex hole you're talking about?

2020-12-15.jpg

Just got my 883-T in the mail and was planning on removing the 1/4-20 thread so that I could insert a longer one, and I cannot for the life of me get that sucker out. I tried WD-40 in the threads, I've already gunked up this thread by using pliers. Not really sure what to do here. Any ideas?

SB

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back