Tom's ESB DL-44 Blasters - Hoth & Bespin Hero

Re: Tom's ESB DL-44 Blasters - Hoth & Bespin Hero

I second Boba Debt's comment. There are some very talented persons working on various builds across the RPF. To badmouth the assumptions of a maker whose hard work you're obviously using as a template is in very poor taste. We need to be respectful of all our fellow RPFers. Our imaginations are our most important tool.

Remember that none of us were working in the prop shops when these props were designed and built. Everything we attach to our Mauser is an assumption or best guess of what was used on the original.

At the end of the build, it's your hand the blaster will fill. If it fits your hand and you're transported to another time and place in your own mind, then you have succeeded.

I'm a little offended at the tone of some of these comments.

We discussed these parts over a year ago and I can not be responsible for discoveries and revelations made after the parts have been machined.

My mantra is "Accuracy is in the eye of the Builder" which is why I offer variations of the parts.

It's aggravating, time consuming and if I didn't possess mad organizational skills I would be able to make it work.

After reading some of the comments in this thread and after having to deal with some on the members of this forum on this past project I am really considering being more selective of who I work with on active projects.

I also have to agree with Boba's post. Although a skilled builder in other areas and mediums, I'm a rank noob here; for that matter, if there's a rung lower than rank noob, I'm standing on it. As such, I greatly appreciate the wide range of observations of original props made by Boba and others far more experienced at this than I. The fact that there are varying observations is perfectly natural -- the source images, etc, are often so iffy to begin with, it's amazing the details that Boba, DM, Todd and others have been able to wring out of them. That they will sometimes differ slightly in their observations isn't a bad thing because it offers wider options to those of us not nearly so skilled, while at the same time adhering to the purest essence of what this "authenticity" thing is all about.

A.J.

I understand the complexity of organizing a run like that. I also understand doing it while research is going on means sometimes it's a collective vote. There were quite a few of those topics that were voted on and I think that's a wonderful way of handling so much information and getting a good result.

on that specific detail I was in the minority, so my opinion of the photographic evidence is different, That's all. I just did it my own way. Saying I was sad the democratic decision went in a different direction...I didn't think that meant anything more than that. I'm sorry if it came off that way, but I can't for the life of me figure out how that sounds like I'm trashing BD

I'm not being insulting or showing a lack of appreciation for all that you've done by expressing my opinion on that. I'm sorry this conversation has touched a nerve, I'd be very saddened if your future runs turn into something like that. and I'm not sure other people meant it that harshly either, but I can't necessarily speak for them

Last edited:

BobaDebt did the best he could with the reference we had at the time.

While I kinda wish we had discussed the flash hider in more depth, the majority of folks were fine with what he offered.

Lots of us believe the bolts pass through the magazine and come out the other side, secured with hex nuts, but there wasn't really much discussion over that detail in the project thread, from what I recall.

The little piston disc details were just an option, and were only a few bucks, from what I remember. Take em or leave em.

BobaDebt worked hard to bring us some quality parts and I really appreciate it.

All we can do is move forward with these new revelations and make more accurate parts with the newly discovered reference. But thanks to BobaDebt, we've got a heck of a solid base of parts to work with! The Hoth scope mount, thorens disc (whether accurate or not certainly looks the part), Bespin bracket knob (wish I could've got one of those!) with the knurls, all these parts that wouldn't exist had he not completed this project. And let's not forget the new brass scopes! There's a lot to be appreciative of.

Last edited:
I certainly didn't mean to offend Boba or anyone else. He does fantastic work and the forum is lucky to have him. Things will always change as new information is discovered and what's considered accurate one day may not remain that way. I apologize.

And Yep, this is who I go to for my Denix's - somehow, the batch he has are much more detailed, and tighter fitting. There's no gap between the upper and lower where the slotted screw goes.
Neat, he's in McDonough. That's like thirty minutes from me, I wonder if he's got a storefront....

Strangely enough that's where I got mine from too. :) I wonder if it's just coincidence that you got some good ones? Casting batch or something? Mine seems fine but I don't have another to compare with.

Strangely enough that's where I got mine from too. :) I wonder if it's just coincidence that you got some good ones? Casting batch or something? Mine seems fine but I don't have another to compare with.

Most likely. I've had 4 or 5 over the past year and two of them (within a month) came from that place and probably were from the same batch

You summed this up perfectly, the only thing I would just change "Boba Debt" and "he" to "We"
You're right!

Lemme know if you come across any spare Bespin knobs!

Also, fun fact, I painted my ANH blaster and I used a rustoleum clear coat. It says to mist it on. Don't mist it on. If you do, it will feel like sandpaper because all the mist just beads up on the darned thing. One specific place I accidentally gooped it on and it dried crystal clear :lol

I actually just buffed it with a scotchbrite sponge to take down the roughness and plan to wax over it soon as well, now that its smooth again

Clear coats can be really finicky depending on the weather, too.

Some folks are wizards with it! You've gotta spray it on just right, and don't look at it wrong, and you just might be okay!

FWIW, I ordered a Denix for my ESB build from thd9791's eBay source today at 2:41. He shipped it at 5:32, free expedited shipping.

Damn.

A.J.

Got my Denix Mauser today from that eBay source, and it's very nice. I don't have a lot to compare it to -- I've only seen two others -- but it's way mo' nicer than either of those. The free expedited shipping makes it all the better.

A.J.

Would you mind snapping a few photos?

Here it is. Not a very good photo, just a quick phone pic. I'll try to take a better shot later with my good camera. That's Boba's Bespin flash hider next to it, waiting patiently.

Denix Mauser and flash hider lo-res.jpg

A.J.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back