Decoder Ring from Christmas Story

Thanks. Obviously the movie holds a special place in my heart.

Took a few pics of the decoders side by side.

DSCN8233%20(Large).JPG

DSCN8235%20(Large).JPG

DSCN8236%20(Large).JPG

DSCN8240%20(Large).JPG

Great collection, thanks for sharing. Here is my display.

I'm planning something similar to show off my 4 Christmas Dream rifles. I'm thinking build a shadowbox out of a hardwood, dovetail it together, build a face-frame with a lexan inset, felt field, the rifles, some pics, a target, and the red ryder ad from the back of the boy's life from the beginning of the movie. I've started to piece the ad together (it was fabricated) from original red ryder content, however the two red-ryder graphics on it appear to have been drawn specifically for the movie, and don't match anything available on vintage ads or comics.

I'm planning something similar to show off my 4 Christmas Dream rifles. I'm thinking build a shadowbox out of a hardwood, dovetail it together, build a face-frame with a lexan inset, felt field, the rifles, some pics, a target, and the red ryder ad from the back of the boy's life from the beginning of the movie. I've started to piece the ad together (it was fabricated) from original red ryder content, however the two red-ryder graphics on it appear to have been drawn specifically for the movie, and don't match anything available on vintage ads or comics.

If I can remember correctly, the Christmas Story House gift shop sold prints of that Ad on nice paper in hi resolution, suitable for framing. I bought one and have to dig it out of a box to check if it is the same one.

These are all OUTSTANDING collections. But the one item everyone needs to add..... Ralphie's glasses with the broken lense.

If I can remember correctly, the Christmas Story House gift shop sold prints of that Ad on nice paper in hi resolution, suitable for framing. I bought one and have to dig it out of a box to check if it is the same one.
Please do. I'm just about to give my SIL what I've got as she is a graphic designer. Maybe she can put it together for me. It is a fabricated ad, however is composed of some actual Daisy graphics, with some of them created specifically for the movie. If you find it, please let me know if it is the same. I'd gladly pay for one.

Please do. I'm just about to give my SIL what I've got as she is a graphic designer. Maybe she can put it together for me. It is a fabricated ad, however is composed of some actual Daisy graphics, with some of them created specifically for the movie. If you find it, please let me know if it is the same. I'd gladly pay for one.

I am not sure if this is screen accurate, I canot recall and it has been a while since I watched it to compare. They sold these when the gift shop at the museum first opened... not too sure they still have them.

View attachment 35428

Update.... THE MORE I RECALL, IT IS NOT THE AD IN THE FILM. The ad in the film as a 200 shot rifle. this is 1,000 shot....sorry, wish it would have helped.

I am not sure if this is screen accurate, I canot recall and it has been a while since I watched it to compare. They sold these when the gift shop at the museum first opened... not too sure they still have them.

View attachment 35428

Update.... THE MORE I RECALL, IT IS NOT THE AD IN THE FILM. The ad in the film as a 200 shot rifle. this is 1,000 shot....sorry, wish it would have helped.
Thanks for looking. That is an actual ad, not the one fabricated for the movie, which indeed was for a 200 shot range-model air rifle (which never existed).

Well, please feel free to share if you ever get the art made, lol. If you need help... I am a graphic designer myself.

With the glasses, we would need to go screen accurate, which is actually a goof. The glasses used a 3 barrel hinge, which was not available in the 30/40s.

My all time favorite holiday movie. I wathc it at least once during the holidays. The wife and kids do too now. I put my boxed Red Ryder BB gun behind the tree every year, as well as the full sized leg lamp in the front window.

Well, of the 5 graphics on the Red Ryder ad, I've got 3 sourced and cleaned up from actual ads. The last 2 will be a challenge, but I'll get it done. I've also got all the verbiage from the ad accurate (Thank heaven for Blu-Ray, an extensive collection of Red Ryder ads and comics, and having read all of Jean Sheperd's books). Its coming together. I'll get it 90% done and then ship it to one or both of my GD SILs for final polishing. While my wife is an artist, she's a fine artist (sketch, charcoal, paint, sculpture), so not a photoshop guru like her sisters. I'm thinking I'll marry it up with the actual front cover of the magazine (as well as inside front and back pages) it was married to in the movie so that one could wrap it around a vintage mag for full-effect.

While I was resting my eyes, I also started pulling together the stuff for the Old Man's Western Union telegram for the major award, complete with accurate WU envelope.

The ROA letter which came with the decoder will be next after that.

Now... to find the time to finish all this up between a 60-hr week job, an ongoing home renovation, and two young children... I'm feeling old.

My teen son stepped up this year and decided to get thoughtful gifts for everyone.
He got me the repro decoder from redriderleglamp.com.
It's nice.

Wolf

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back