Samuel Rodriguez aka Jetstream Sam COMPLETED.

El Fett

Sr Member
So I've recently finished my battle damage Spidey and after a year of focusing just on Spidey, I've decided to tackle something different, way outside my comfort zone. I will be sharing my progress and learnings here.

I was recently completely taken away by Keruu's Raiden, Diegator's Grey Fox, Durkness's Guyver and a few other costumes around the net. It kept bringing me back to my long-time desire to own a costume from the world of Metal Gear Solid. After playing Metal Gear Rising, I decided my first costume would be Sam Rodriguez. Seems like a good fit for me, being "latino" and all. For those who don't know the character, here it is:

Metal-Gear-Rising-Revengeance-Samuel.png

I'm doing a combination of the initial sketches and what ended up in the final game since the character went through some changes when the game changed developers.

On to my progress pics:

I started with some EVA foam squares and decided to tackle the abs first.

20130413_152153.jpg

Then I padded the abs with a pleather fabric I found, similar to the tone in the game.

20130414_130556.jpg

After some light airbrushing and finding some pouches and straps from a local surplus store I ended up here:

photo.jpg

Then I proceded to make a pec and shoulder pieces:

20130417_232058.jpg

I worked on this some more over the weekend, (while taking brakes from puffy painting and glue-webbing) funny how I take my breaks from working on costumes by working on another costume LOL!

I found a good rash guard to use as a base for the top part of the costume and armor.

photo.jpg

I used some fabric and washers to create the layering seen in the design...

photo.jpg

I also made the long sleeves out of the same color fabric.

20130421_191550.jpg

So that's it for now...I will be using a combination of EVA foam, fabrics, thermoplastics and found items. Stay tuned (if you want)! This will be a sloooow build in part because it's a beast of a project, and in part because I have a lot of Spideys to complete before I can fully focus on this guy :)

Attachments

• tumblr_mjzhs2yiTU1qiv77so1_500.png
    tumblr_mjzhs2yiTU1qiv77so1_500.png
    318.2 KB · Views: 3,717
Last edited:
Re: New RPF look. New Project! Samuel Rodriguez aka Jetstream Sam WIP

Pretty decent job so far! I'm working on raidens costume as we speak, and one of the first thing I started on was also the abs! Throughout the process I've been wondering if there is anyone out there doing Sam or that big guy with the scissor swords (both amazing cool looking characters), and here I find your post! I'll be keeping a tab on your progress!

I found a 3D model of the character from deviantart and fetched some screenshots for you: http://imgur.com/a/zF1jP
I hope you are planning to make his sword; after a closer look at it, I cannot think of anything else other than it being a total rad weapon!

TwSqSUol.jpg

THANK YOU so much for these mogcaiz!! These will more than come in handy!! I don't have any 3D viewing or rendering software and I'm just going by picture reference so this is perfect!

Can you get close enough to see what the "Caution" labels say on his body armor? I want to get some decals done but I can't seem to find any close enough pics of that. And I do plan to make the sword and machine-gun sword sheet :) I agree, very badass weapon.

Thanks so much again! :)

Np. I know the pain of working without good reference. My mind was blewn away as well when I found a CG model of raiden previous week. I've been remodeling like a mad man since. Unfortunately the textures sizes are too small to make the text readable. You can download the model and all the textures from the deviantart link and zoom in on the images there to see if you dont have better luck there!

Np. I know the pain of working without good reference. My mind was blewn away as well when I found a CG model of raiden previous week. I've been remodeling like a mad man since. Unfortunately the textures sizes are too small to make the text readable. You can download the model and all the textures from the deviantart link and zoom in on the images there to see if you dont have better luck there!

Got it. Thanks anyways! What program would I need to view those files though? I'm on a MAC.

Re: - New RPF look, New Project! Samuel Rodriguez aka Jetstream Sam WIP

I am so excited to see you make this!! I will definitely be following your progress. Your build is looking great so far! keep it up!

I am so excited to see you make this!! I will definitely be following your progress. Your build is looking great so far! keep it up!

Thank you Keruuu. Your raiden was an inspiration for me :)

Small update: I got to sculpting some of the hard pieces last night.

20130424_203959.jpg

photo.jpg

I'm excited to paint/finish these and mount them over the weekend. I also want to find the time to get started on the right side armor pieces.

I was able to get some work done on this today. Completed and mounted a couple more pieces of armor and finally did a fitting. Pics below!

20130427_154740.jpg

20130427_173836.jpg

20130427_214659.jpg

20130427_214716.jpg

And of course I had to do the douchy colgate smile! Ayyayay!

mind+if+I+cut+in+2.jpg

Last edited:

This is going to be boss!
Great work so far!
I am looking forward to how this turns out!

This looks awesome! I'm sorry I didn't get back to you in time with the typeface question; I hadn't checked back here in a while. Your build looks great so far! How did you make the hard chest piece (black)? It looks amazing and shiny!
Also, love the douchey smile pic :D

**EDIT: Found awesome reference to douchy smile**
tumblr_ml4e2iPBsx1rsr834o1_500.gif

Last edited:

Thanks Diegator and no worries. I started applying some of the labels last night and its looking good. Lucklily, there are no white ink labels on the Sam Rodriguez costume so it was easier to reproduce. And the chest plate is foam covered in worbla :)

holy crap! worbla is magical!

How tough is worbla compared to syntra? harder , weaker about the same?

softer but you can layer it as much as you want to make it more sturdy. And it's also reshape-able which is nice.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back