The Fly (remake remake)

As a rule there are some filmmakers' films you just can't rehash:

Kubrick - can you imagine a remake of A Clockwork Orange? Neither can I.
Tarantino - no explanation necessary
Carpenter - you might make a viable film but, with his signature films that star Kurt Russell, there's no point.

Cronenberg - his films have an eerie detachment from characters which makes us feel the narrative being advanced, not by the actions of its protagonists, but by forces outside of their control. Nobody does that as effectively as Cronenberg does.

This falls into the same category as Robocop, Total Recall ec. The originals are still good enough to stand on their own. There is not much you can do to make them better or different. It's more annoying when you think here is a wealth of old crappy movies that were based in good ideas, spruce those up, leave the god movies that are standing the test of time alone.

They'll probably put wings on him and have him land on someone's dinner at an outdoor cafe, and have them scream "WAITER!!! THERE'S A GIANT FLY IN MY SOUP!!!! AAAIIEIEEEE!!"

Yeah, probably won't bother to see this. Guarantee it'll be a CGI crapfest. Hey, maybe it'll have Tom Cruz running in it like the new crappy Mummy movie.

No No No No No and in case you didn't get it NO.

I'm sick of remakes, reboots, reimagining and whatnot.

Come on Hollywood, come up with something new for once.

No No No No No and in case you didn't get it NO.

I'm sick of remakes, reboots, reimagining and whatnot.

Come on Hollywood, come up with something new for once.

This trend is hardly new, Hollywood has been doing this forever, pretty much since they've been making movies. There are probably remakes out there that you never knew were remakes and loved it thinking that it was an original idea. Here's just a few: Rio Lobo, Cape Fear, The Thing (John Carpenter version), Ocean's 11, Heaven Can Wait, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, A Fistful of Dollars, Scarface, The Maltese Falcon, and the list goes on.

This trend is hardly new, Hollywood has been doing this forever, pretty much since they've been making movies. There are probably remakes out there that you never knew were remakes and loved it thinking that it was an original idea. Here's just a few: Rio Lobo, Cape Fear, The Thing (John Carpenter version), Ocean's 11, Heaven Can Wait, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, A Fistful of Dollars, Scarface, The Maltese Falcon, and the list goes on.

I'm very aware that all of those were remakes and I've seen all of them and liked most of them but for every one mentioned there are a half dozen or so others that never should have happened. Star Trek is one of those that springs to mind and even though I liked all 3 movies it was Star Trek in name only.

As I have said before Hollywood can remake all the crap they want, they won't get a penny of my money

Yeah I'm numb to it at this point. And hey, maybe it will be good. The 1986 Fly was a freaking masterpiece, and it of course was a remake. Having said that, the 1986 Fly was a freaking masterpiece...whatever, it'll make money off the kids, and maybe a few of them will look into the Cronenberg version (or hey, the original Vincent Price flick isn't ENTIRELY without merit) because of it.

I almost lost my damn mind with furious indignation when the Robocop remake came out, and it disappeared quickly and without hurting the original in any way. So I'm gonna remain calm and ignore this awful news I guess.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back