The Babadook pop up book

That's more or less the reason I bought two... So I can pick the best one... and sell the other. Hope they both arrive perfect, off course...

I am so very late to this party. I only saw the film a week or two ago and was instantly in love with the book. If anyone still has a spare for sale I would greatly appreciate the chance of getting my hands on one. Congrats to all that are awaiting copies!

If my two copies arrive and are both in good shape, I'll probably sell one in the junkyard. So keep your eyes out for one...

I missed this initially and signed up for the waitlist email list and a was able to purchase one back in Sept. Can't wait to receive mine copy :)

New update. Sort of disappointing this long ... long wait though. No doubt it's a lot of work designing and making something like this. But it has been so long, that I can't even recall when the original delivery estimate was meant to be.

The Babadook Pop Up Book - February 2016 Update
a758fe51-1027-4f55-9a9d-2e49d0d58041.png
Hi everyone,February has arrived so it’s time for another Babadook book update, straight from our Babadook writer/director, Jennifer Kent​
Hi all,

February has been a very busy month for the Babadook book. We are so close now and are about to jump into printing and production as all printed pages have been approved! They are looking GREAT: perfect colours, perfect contrast. All of us in Babadook land are very happy.

We are expecting a prototype of the book any day now, so we can check that all mechanisms are working perfectly and are sturdy. It will be exciting to see it come to life! (Some may say terrifying…)

8f360e10-56c0-491b-a0ac-a2007645eb34.png

Moving forward, this is what’s to come.
  1. We have an approval of the entire book scheduled for the first week of March, to check working mechanisms and overall construction.
  2. Once the entire book is approved, the book pages will be printed and laser cut.
  3. Following that, the process of hand gluing each and every book can begin.
We ask our buyers to be patient during this process as hand gluing several thousand books is a huge task (as you can well imagine!) and will take some time.

We want to make sure that the book is put together accurately and we assure you that our publishers are working to the highest standards. It is very important to us that you will receive a hand made book that is not only beautiful, but will last.

We will continue to update you regularly through these stages until the books are at your door.
c21875b2-a5eb-485b-b862-795b519c1b39.png
ef2bb214-54bd-4643-95d8-5603b481d109.png
NB: When we get closer to the delivery date, we’ll send an email asking you to confirm your current postal address. No book will be sent without this confirmation, so it’s important you reply with your current address to receive your book. PLEASE DO NOT SEND IT TO US NOW (SEE HOUSEKEEPING NOTES BELOW)

As always, me and the team are very grateful for your patience, and for your trust in us that we are working to create the best book possible. We understand it’s been a long wait, thank you so very much for hanging in there!

Warm regards,

Jen
PS:
A FEW HOUSE-KEEPING POINTS:​
  • If you have not received our previous updates (May, July, September, October, November, December) you can see them here:
    MAY UPDATE: http://eepurl.com/bmIDxHJULY UPDATE: http://eepurl.com/bs3-ArSEPTEMBER UPDATE: http://eepurl.com/bxPsdzOCTOBER UPDATE: http://eepurl.com/bBARTvNOVEMBER UPDATE: http://eepurl.com/bG_VR1DECEMBER UPDATE: http://eepurl.com/bKsGpD

JANUARY UPDATE: http://eepurl.com/bOfY0L
  • If you need to CHANGE YOUR POSTAL ADDRESS, please DON’T send it to us right now. We will get in touch with each buyer to double check your latest mailing address in the weeks before we ship the book. This is much easier for us and more secure. We will NOT forget you. Everyone will receive a reminder to provide current postal address details, and NO books will be sent out without your address confirmed.
  • If you need to let us know a CHANGE OF EMAIL ADDRESS, please let us know this NOW, by writing ‘Babadook Book - Change of email address’ in the subject line and emailing that to thebabadook@gmail.com. We will update your email address now.
Thank you!

The Babadook Team :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, disappointing! I was hoping this was going to be the email to say we are going to ship orders out.

I still don't expect to see my books until August/September time.

I'm beginning to think we might not get our hands on this until September...

The Babadook Pop Up Book - Mini Update February 2016
3241e8db-15ba-4613-8e2c-bc4b6d76b162.png
Hi everyone,A quick message below from our Babadook writer/director Jennifer Kent​
Hi All,

A mini update. We received the supposed ‘final’ white dummy of the book (which is an ‘ink free’, white papered prototype built specifically to check all mechanisms are working perfectly. See photo above.) Most pages are perfect, bar two. And I’m sorry, I just cannot have two pages not working perfectly in this book. So we have to fix them.

We are working on it, doing the back and forth between me in Sydney and Simon Arizpe, our paper engineer in NY, getting those mechanism glitches ironed out. Mister Babadook is an utter ******* testing my patience like this, trying to sabotage his own book! But he forgets I created him and I’m not going to print him and his book without his pages being 100% perfect.

We’ll let you know when the mechanisms are working and give you a further update then. Should be in a week.

Talk soon,

Jen
PS:
A FEW HOUSE-KEEPING POINTS:​

Thank you!

The Babadook Team :)

Last edited:
I know I'm in the minority but I don't mind the wait. It just lets me know that the books will be something to have once they're completed.

I know I'm in the minority but I don't mind the wait. It just lets me know that the books will be something to have once they're completed.

Exactly... Just be happy you will get a killer piece and that they sound like they are out to make it perfect. At least they are keeping everyone updated and are not playing the "silence game". They are upfront and transparent about the delays. A LOT of sellers in our junkyard here could learn a few things about the proper way to do business and handle delays in a run.

This project looks like it is momentous. I appreciate their regular updates and the enormity of this project. I'd rather hold out and get a perfect product then have them rush it and get garbage. We're asking for an original piece and I don't mind the wait for true art work.

Totally! We all know what it is like to set out on a project, expecting the deadline to be a few weeks, and end up months and months later.... still trying to complete it :D It's kinda consoling!. I'd bet Ms. Kent at this stage wishes she hadn't done this, but still feels like she owes the fans the best of what can be produced. It's kind of ironic... pre/post/production of the film was probably easier than mass manufacturing a prop from the film :D

Latest update from Jennifer Kent and the Babadook book team:

Hi everyone, It’s time for another Babadook book update, straight from our Babadook writer/director, Jennifer Kent
Hello to all our treasured Baba-bookers,

March has been a busy month for me Babadook book wise with the signing of all 7,500 signature cards to put in our signed books. No I did not get someone else to sign them and no we did not use a signature ‘stamp.’ All 7,500 cards have been signed by hand by myself. My friends now call me ‘the claw.’

Here are some photos (below) of how they looked when they came in. They’ve all been signed and sent on their way to our printers now, ready for the next step! Once the books are printed, a card will be glued in a secret hiding place in the book to identify it as authentic. Even if you aren’t getting a signed book, you will have a plate saying your book is an authentic first edition Babadook book.
nbKnzLJszEomv8UuBJjfe1gpxQEw-vxtWlzH4yUJgShnpeb9zxP5XsQoORh_plHz0T-C6eC5dRk4-Bn1Vtije5P-MY1d0lOrJaSSC6MMW42y49tRfnMqS4-ez8_czZup0aFiUtXBdKBFx5U-RVVKdVe73nO7Ucf5mnGCJwY=s0-d-e1-ft
CBa1IVA_fDuvAIMxWEwV_diGEKp2Ims8E_SmnoU6pxSZnCx1-QYyEWIhVRg0A2DnrYNImwdBF4sYqOx8-EIUUwj5YUWfoEtawsJ_LTkPfh-ClDdb2UrwbBT5_rrF4bdy27AOlTBCu1M4aZ8KXmn9P6I7Qoao4mcsY4daj_c=s0-d-e1-ft
9RRH6K3kwRnLaaNYA7_jUSCbl8rRXSFXBhYXI_U7ADfH-Hp6qkhLCyqP0_5SyZCh9hiZbSRubaqJuKk4fJlNuUVC0ODDND8WERoji_6rNHmpRwYVdmK1Tt6U1C5aZ_AKiO3ch6f2EP0xUjQEy0tCSUTuPvf-u1oEJ-909c4=s0-d-e1-ft

ON THE BOOK FRONT….

We have had the plotters sent through, which are a lower quality printed prototype made up to check placement of images etc. before we go to print. Unfortunately, there are still some minor issues with the mechanisms on three pages. I cannot approve the next stage (going to print) until these small problems are ironed out. You can blame me and shake your head at me if you like, but I need this book to be as close to perfect as is possible. We made the film with great care and attention to detail so we have to make the book in the same way. Otherwise Babadook will own me and I will be possessed forever.

We will be receiving a new prototype in the next fortnight to iron out these minor kinks. Once that is approved we’ll move onto the printing of all pages, and construction of the books with the hand gluing etc.

Apologies again for unforeseen delays, we hope you understand they are coming from our commitment to quality. We aren’t Amazon over here, churning out books by the millions, just a small operation of about 6 people working so hard to make this happen. We will as always keep you updated.

Warm regards,

Jen

Thanks for passing that along SankaraRaider. I really don't mind the delay as long as 1) it's to ensure a quality product and 2) we are kept abreast of what's happening. Kudos to Jennifer Kent for keeping us informed on where things are at.

Yeah, I ordered two and will have one to sell. My mate got fed up with waiting and doesn't want anymore.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back