Things you're tired of seeing in movies

3b75813af2350e14a3403e46e8539c3cb2f8d44e36b0a0ff450203ef80b42b2c.jpg

There is a killer animal in the water: piranhas, shark, killer whale, giant octopus, etc. A group of people (most likely college students) are in a boat or on a dock and at least one of them is in the water. The killer animal is attacking and when one of the people is pulled out of water only their top half is there. Or maybe just the arm that was being pulled on.

O how about people who never seem to lock or unlock their home's front doors, except for comedic effect?
In sitcoms, people often walk in and out of other people's houses and apartments all the time, without even knocking when they're not even expected. Does anyone here know of someone who'd allow that?

If you do that over here in the Philippines, you're definitely inviting trouble. A burglar could walk away with your TV in just a manner of seconds - leaving you with nothing to watch your movies and sitcome on! Haha!

Our front door is almost always unlocked when we're home, and there are a few friends and family who will indeed just walk in although they're always expected. When I was a kid my friends and I used to do this all the time too. A few of my son's friends are the same way, the kids bounce from house to house on the street as they see fit.

If you do that over here in the Philippines, you're definitely inviting trouble. A burglar could walk away with your TV in just a manner of seconds - leaving you with nothing to watch your movies and sitcome on! Haha!
When I was a kid I remember my grandparents in Houston, Texas leaving their home wide open when they left. I (being from California) once asked why and my grandpa said, nobody's dumb enough to trespass in these parts unless they want to get shot.

Shoehorned plot lines, based on current trends, at the expense of coherence.
MIB3 is agreat example of what not to do.
They sacrificed continuity in the most absurd way possible...
I enjoyed the movie as a stand alone flick, but grit my teeth if I try to watch them together.
Great topic. Thanks for asking.
It's almost as if you to are a Cracked fan...

Last edited:
Stunt Doubles ( in really un needed shots)....these people are being paid enough to perform stunts
Example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdToRXpvVg8

like he really couldn't do that stunt? gimmie a break anyone who ever jumped on a trampoline could hop off a mini trampoline and flip forward and laid flat on their back.

That's not always the choice of the actor, a lot of times studios are very cautious about what they let their actors do based due to insurance reasons.

Where an alien lands, kids show up and just decide on their own that the alien they can't understand must be good and they'll do anything they can to keep the big-bad government from holding onto said alien. Think on this, how do the kids in "Super 8" or, "Earth of Echo," (or even "ET" for that matter) really know that a year from now, that alien isn't coming back with an invasion fleet, and the kids allowed it to happen?
What makes these kids any better a judge of what an alien that can't talk to them is thinking?

Stunt Doubles ( in really un needed shots)....these people are being paid enough to perform stuntsExample
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdToRXpvVg8

like he really couldn't do that stunt? gimmie a break anyone who ever jumped on a trampoline could hop off a mini trampoline and flip forward and laid flat on their back.

That's not always the choice of the actor, a lot of times studios are very cautious about what they let their actors do based due to insurance reasons.

Yeah, the insurance companies hate actors doing anything they don't have to. Tom Cruise gets to do crazy stuff because he's a producer paying the insurance rates for it.

There is also the issue of repeating a stunt many times. They typically want several takes of anything stunt-ish even if the first one looks good. It's rolling the dice on injuries again every time.

Even when Jackie Chan was "doing all his own stunts" he wasn't always doing every single take they filmed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our front door is almost always unlocked when we're home, and there are a few friends and family who will indeed just walk in although they're always expected. When I was a kid my friends and I used to do this all the time too. A few of my son's friends are the same way, the kids bounce from house to house on the street as they see fit.
If the film takes place in the utopia of Canada I'll give it a pass on this one. :)

Silencers on revolvers,
I think they are called pillows ;)

Where an alien lands, kids show up and just decide on their own that the alien they can't understand must be good and they'll do anything they can to keep the big-bad government from holding onto said alien. Think on this, how do the kids in "Super 8" or, "Earth of Echo," (or even "ET" for that matter) really know that a year from now, that alien isn't coming back with an invasion fleet, and the kids allowed it to happen?
What makes these kids any better a judge of what an alien that can't talk to them is thinking?
The magical innocence of childhood is the universal language of all galaxies. :lol

A bit harsh, I thought Unbreakable was excellent. But everything else, yeah, complete dross.
Unbreakable was a really good flick (better than the 6th sense IMO) We are considering filming a short follow up to Bruce's character in the fall. I'll look through this thread 1st to try and avoid clichés! :lol Except the Wilhelm scream, so far my daughter is insisting on it being used in everything we do. :facepalm

but in E.T. Eliot knew, because he was symbiotically linked with the eponymous alien.
Well, Elliot thought that ET was friendly, and the movie showed that to external viewers, but there wasn't any way for Elliot to know for sure that ET wasn't just showing him what he/she/it wanted Elliot to see. Just sayin'.

Well, Elliot thought that ET was friendly, and the movie showed that to external viewers, but there wasn't any way for Elliot to know for sure that ET wasn't just showing him what he/she/it wanted Elliot to see. Just sayin'.

Well aren't you the Debby Downer? :D

There is a killer animal in the water: piranhas, shark, killer whale, giant octopus, etc. A group of people (most likely college students) are in a boat or on a dock and at least one of them is in the water. The killer animal is attacking and when one of the people is pulled out of water only their top half is there. Or maybe just the arm that was being pulled on.

Lake Placid for example.

E.T. , a wrinkled fleshy beast, whose neck extends disturbingly and lures children into abandoned sheds with candy?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back