Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them

Good advice, and appreciate the rundown of inaccuracies.

Just as a note from an interview with Colleen Atwood - what ever fabric you're looking for shouldn't be blue originally.

"Colleen Atwood: ‘I made Eddie’s coat from some fabric I’d had around for years, from a play I did,’ Colleen says, on set between fittings. ‘I’d been hoarding it and I dyed it that colour for Newt.’

‘I’d say it’s a dark peacock blue. Or technically, in fashion, we’d call it petrol. I knew from the script that Newt is true to the sky and the earth and land, and that’s what I depicted in the colours of his costume."

From another interview - "When Scamander enters New York, he’s toting a leather suitcase and wearing a wool coat", so it's definitely woolen as a base fabric.

These leaves me thinking it's something similar to http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Light-Wei...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 but dyed with a custom mixed blue?

Last edited:
Right, that is how she says the actual movie fabric was made. But since I have no way to know what color it was originally, or how to accurately dye wool that color, I figure finding a similar pattern that's already petrol colored is about as good as I'd get.

I don't really have interest in making the costume, but I'd want a coat's worth of the fabric. I have a friend that would as well.

I'd definitely be commissioning someone (on this side of the water ideally), coats are on the weighty side as far as shipping is concerned - and the pound is getting it's arse well and truly kicked with conversion rates these days.

Found a higher resolution version of the 'feet' poster that was used out on Korea and thought I'd attempt a breakdown.

Looking at these - the boots actually reach the full height of the gaiters top edge. Interestingly though, it doesn't actually seem to go all the way round?

Look at his back (right foot) you can see where the gaiter splits?

Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 12.02.53.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-09 at 12.11.06.png

The leather straps on the front actually seem to feed back through cutthrough's in the leather, I'd assume that they're then folded on the underside and machined in place.

The edge of the gaiter seems to be machined to the boot itself - which would leave me to believe when removed it'd look something like the below.

Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 12.29.32.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 12.21.09.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 12.21.09.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Yeah, there's a few ways the straps could attach given the pictures we've seen so far.
Here's another fairly close shot of that part of the boots:
boots 1.jpg

This part here still completely baffles me:
mystery.jpg

I don't have much of a guess what's happening there. I have this almost-useless screenshot, which does very little other than make it seem that the straps, and whatever is going on back there, don't touch each other.

boot back.png

The only part of his costume that I'm not sure what to do about (just approximating lots of parts, since the con I want to wear him at is coming up in about a month) is the bowtie. Has a consensus been reached on what color it is, and whether there's a pattern? Depending on the picture it looks black, dark drown, or dark purple, and it looks like it might have a very subtle striped pattern but I really can't tell. And is there a particular name for that style of skinny bowtie or would I just look for "skinny bowtie"?

Edit: I did find this, which looks way too light, but I suppose it does at least tell us that it's supposed to be purple and striped. I'll get that if I can't find anything better, but has anyone found any closer matches?

Looking at the attached image, we definitely know it isn't a 'solid' fabric. There's a stripe - but whether or not that's two different coloured fabrics, or it's simply textured -I can't answer dcdebb09c9cac056_MCDFABE_EC040_H.JPG

I think buying some fabric and sewing or ironing it together with heat and press iron on tape would be the way to go for this tie. I can't find it anywhere. I'm actually thinking of holding on to my two Hot Topic coats for a while. They're going for a good amount on ebay now as it seems they are getting harder to find.

Whilst searching eBay, stumbled across these 'tanker' boots.
Seems to be a potential indicator of how the 'side cuff' works on Newts?
s-l1600.jpegs-l1601.jpegs-l1602.jpegs-l1604.jpeg

Also picked up "The Case of Beasts: Explore the Film Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them".
Particularly unhelpful, mostly sketches with only on image of the actual costume - what it did however specify was that the costume was produced by "Costume Workshop", and the fabric references for the trousers and waistcoat.

Trousers
Main Outer Garment
Ref/code: p71389, Lavender

Trousers
Half Lining
Ref/code: 530, Shade: 1694

Waistcoat
Front panels
50% linen, 50% boiled wool

Last edited:
Also picked up "The Case of Beasts: Explore the Film Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them".
Particularly unhelpful, mostly sketches with only on image of the actual costume - what it did however specify was that the costume was produced by "Costume Workshop", and the fabric references for the trousers and waistcoat.

Trousers
Main Outer Garment
Ref/code: p71389, Lavender

Trousers
Half Lining
Ref/code: 530, Shade: 1694

Waistcoat
Front panels
50% linen, 50% boiled wool

I can't make sense of this, though the waistcoat fabric breakdown looks accurate. Can you post an image of the book? Costume Workshop seems to be a costuming company on the Isle of Wight that does amateur and professional stage costuming - looking at their website it seems highly unlikely that they built any costumes for the show.

Attachments

• IMG_3201.JPG
    IMG_3201.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 244

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back