Rogue One Vader costume

I always found that jarring in ROTS when the mask is lowered into place, the side tubes don't line up! If there were a place to fix things with CG, that would be the place.

Ha! Yes - I remember re-watching that scene specifically for the 'join' when doing my reveal mask. I went through so much grief trying to get as flush and clean a join as possible and was astounded at how bad a join the 'lowered mask' scene is. I never really noticed in the cinema, only when looking again for reference. Caught up in the moment I guess.

I find it funny to read pages of people talking about how "wrong" or "incorrect" the R1 Vader is. Wrong compared to what? Our OCD idea of what exactly the character looked like in ANH?

Can someone please explain, then, why it is that the ESB or ROTJ Vaders are not also "incorrect?" Or with troopers, how about the differences between the ANH, ESB and ROTJ stormtrooper helmets?

It's one thing to say that the R1 Vader isn't EXACTLY like the ANH one. It's something else to suggest that the newest variation which will be in the film and canon is "wrong."

(as always, not questioning knowledge of the intricacies/details/minutiae of the OT stuff, just sayin.Variation isn't new, it's been the norm since the second film was made.)

In my opinion, the difference it this.
For ESB and ROTJ they were trying to improve upon the original suit.
For R1 they were attempting to recreate the original ANH as it was.
That is why so many people are saying it is 'wrong' because of the glaring inaccuracies (which very clearly are not meant to be 'improvements').

This does make sense, thanks. I personally look at the ROTJ stormtrooper helmets compared to the ANH stunts, and can't imagine that the changes were made to improve on the original design, but as far as Vader is concerned, that makes sense. :thumbsup

..though I suppose there could also be the argument that they were looking to "improve" the Vader look, given how the R1 stormtroopers seem to have been "improved" as far as added details etc (unsure of how I feel about those improvements as I personally am.)

I do wonder somewhat how the growing number of films will be viewed in the years to come, and if the OT will always hold the special place it does currently for many, once all the fans who grew up as "children of the OT" are gone. Will the prequels be held to a higher degree than the newer films, despite their weaknesses? Will the criticisms of TFA fade with time? A steady stream of films will certainly give us things to talk about here :lol

That is why so many people are saying it is 'wrong' because of the glaring inaccuracies (which very clearly are not meant to be 'improvements').
Did they say they were trying to exactly replicate every detail of the ANH Vader? Obviously they intentionally redesigned the Stormtrooper armor. They may have intentionally made some changes to the Vader suit too.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I find it funny to read pages of people talking about how "wrong" or "incorrect" the R1 Vader is. Wrong compared to what? Our OCD idea of what exactly the character looked like in ANH?

Can someone please explain, then, why it is that the ESB or ROTJ Vaders are not also "incorrect?" Or with troopers, how about the differences between the ANH, ESB and ROTJ stormtrooper helmets?

It's one thing to say that the R1 Vader isn't EXACTLY like the ANH one. It's something else to suggest that the newest variation which will be in the film and canon is "wrong."

(as always, not questioning knowledge of the intricacies/details/minutiae of the OT stuff, just sayin.Variation isn't new, it's been the norm since the second film was made.)
They aren't always consistent within the same film for some props.

I don't think the film makers obsess over every detail like some fans do. They just make a prop or costume that represents the in universe item. The prop isn't necessarily exactly what the item is supposed to look like. That's why they don't see an issue with variations in props that represent the same item.

An example is the Luke ROTJ lightsaber. Is the in universe saber supposed to be like the beat up v2 or the clean hero? Maybe neither is a perfect representation.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

If memory serves, the chin vent was enlarged in the ESB mask to simply give Prowse more air when wearing the mask. Not sure why they also ditched the widow's peak in the helmet. I was pleasantly surprised to see the small chin vent again in R1 Vader.

I never really understood why people get up in arms over the variances of the Vader costume. Why can't people just accept he can swap out his helmet, electronics, cloaks and armor from time to time? None of it has been right or wrong, it's like someone's favorite color, some people prefer blue, some prefer red, etc. It's all nothing he can't change in a matter of minutes or hours for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Putting an exact Replica of ANH armor on screen in R1 would be stupid. That thing was beat and nasty. It would look terrible and laughable in modern filming. Ever seen ANH in bluray?

Regardless looks and feels just like Vader this millimeters comparison is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

How hard do you guys think it would be to convert the ANH PCR EFX helmet into a rogue one helmet? Just from taking a look at the two, the cheeks would have to be shaved down to reshape them to the rogue one look, and the neck would need to be widened just slightly. The dome would require some work as well, but I'm honestly really tempted to give it a go. View attachment 670339

Its not the same view in your comparison.In the second one he looks more up.The look of vader is very different from the position and the distance.
I think the new vader is ok...but what I really hate is the codpiece.:facepalm

Also take into account that they're working in limitations. High definition cameras, modern filmmaking techniques, etc., I don't claim to be an expert on filming, but I think a precisely accurate ANH Vader would just look sloppy in HD.

I never really understood why people get up in arms over the variances of the Vader costume. Why can't people just accept he can swap out his helmet, electronics, cloaks and armor from time to time? None of it has been right or wrong, it's like someone's favorite color, some people prefer blue, some prefer red, etc. It's all nothing he can't change in a matter of minutes or hours for whatever reason.
I respectfully disagree. Understood there can be "in-universe" costume evolution or changes, the ones mentioned from Ep4-5 -6 are well accepted. Even the small occasional gaffaw on the part of film crews and prop limitations with filming is understandable.

But Disney is trying to sell a non-trilogy period piece with R1. Oversight of details is lazyness. This is not the same passion the artists of the originals bled into their craft, part of what made SW great. DISNEY has the technology and rescources, they just don't care. Corporate greed cares more about $.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Disagree with WHAT? You are basically saying he can't possibly change outfits or parts at all, when he has proven to in the movies before. These people aren't OCD like these forums are. Neither is 97 percent of the public. It's quite simply the OT gets built in immunity from criticism because of nostalgia. What does over or under armor the cloak have to do with better technology? It's like saying red is better than blue.
I respectfully disagree. Understood there can be "in-universe" costume evolution or changes, the ones mentioned from Ep4-5 -6 are well accepted. Even the small occasional gaffaw on the part of film crews and prop limitations with filming is understandable.

But Disney is trying to sell a non-trilogy period piece with R1. Oversight of details is lazyness. This is not the same passion the artists of the originals bled into their craft, part of what made SW great. DISNEY has the technology and rescources, they just don't care. Corporate greed cares more about $.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Also take into account that they're working in limitations. High definition cameras, modern filmmaking techniques, etc., I don't claim to be an expert on filming, but I think a precisely accurate ANH Vader would just look sloppy in HD.

This. If I showed a layman my ANH helmet from Bookface, they'll think I got "scammed" for getting something with "such a sloppy paint job"

dvdl.png

Thanks for posting that, Dinvader, but I remember the cloak over the armor. Even when ESB was first released, I didn't care for the change... nor the redesigned gloves.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back