Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Clown

Good pics! My mechanism is pretty much identical to yours except for the linkage bar that has the twist. Mine is just a regular rod.

I would definitely be interested in some of those pom poms, at the very least the source.

I'm still searching for hair. The newer hair will likely be easier to find than that on the PWBA clown.

The pom poms were from Art Cove. Kind of pricey for three bags and shipping, I don't mind sharing. If you're interested I should have grass and hat vinyl scraps too.

Found a black knit fabric to re-trim the collar. I'll post photos once I get that and the new pom poms attached.

A source for that original hair would be a great find. I agree the newer clown hair seems like run of the mill craft hair.

I'm beginning to think the clown hair in the movie may have been yak. I have learned that yak is used in a lot of professional clown wigs. The hair also looks to be placed on the clown in distinct clumps, which seems consistent with how yak hair comes. The hair in general appears to be very dense - almost too dense for a synthetic hair.

I broke down and purchased a Pennywise clown. It looks as if it will be a decent alternative for those wanting a clown with the same movements. I have attached the instruction sheet to provide everyone with a quick look at the item. I will post some actual photos later.

PennywiseClown_Instructions.jpg

Below are some more pics of the Pennywise clown. The head measures to be the same size as the PWBA clown. Pennywise is a little taller, but his legs could easily be shortened. I would definitely get rid of the hip ring as well.

Pennywise_head.jpgPennywise_head2.jpgPennywise_shoulders.JPGPennywise_shoes.JPGPennywise_size.jpg

That does look like it could be modified to be fairly close. Does it have the same movements (arm up/down, torso left/right)? What does its mechanicals look like?

I'm going to try to make the torso plywood frame, wire up the motor to a power cord, re-carpet the base, and do the suit modifications this week. I'm on vacation after that, so no clown work for a little while ;) When I'm back I'm going to see about machining and welding the mechanical parts. Then it's on to vacuum forming, making gloves and hat, finding hair .. so close, but yet so far

Regarding hair ..

That is interesting about yak hair, I vaguely recall reading about that for Chewbacca costumes. Perhaps a professional clown or wig maker could give some insight to the type of hair to use for this. I agree it's thick and clumpy, and that modern synthetic craft hair/wigs don't look right (you can see this clumpiness also in the Night of the Comet closeup).

That does look like it could be modified to be fairly close. Does it have the same movements (arm up/down, torso left/right)? What does its mechanicals look like?

It does have the same movements. The only exception is that the left arm moves up/down instead of the right. I believe it is relatively easy to correct though. I will share some more photos soon.

Attachments

• MaxWigs_Orange_Clown_Hair.jpg
    MaxWigs_Orange_Clown_Hair.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 90
Unfortunately it's the name of the game for matching. I expect to waste plenty more money before this is all over ;)

Speaking of, I did get my first vinyl samples. Pretty close, probably even usable, but I'm going to see if I can't match the orange and green a little closer.

Awsomeness, PWF! You and DB are killin' me. I'm actually starting to think there may have to be a creepy life-size clown in my future. UGH!

Now that your bike is done, it's a perfect time to start a new project! The clown kinda grows on one after awhile.

After seeing the resin heads, the head reminded me of Sammy Terry. Some may not be familiar with him, but he was a long-time, late night horror host for a television station in Indiana, kinda an Elvira type.

sammy_terry.jpg

Just noticed there is a vintage clown on everyone's favorite auction site! Not mine of course - looks way too nice. It's a good find for someone wanting one, especially anyone in the southern California area. 331615167819

Agree. That one is in really nice condition, PWF. Thanks for posting the item number.

I've never heard of "Sammy Terry" before but the head blanks do look a lot like him. (He's far less creepy to me than the clown is, btw.)

Yes, dangit. I may have to add this clown to my project list.

Last edited:
Just noticed there is a vintage clown on everyone's favorite auction site! Not mine of course - looks way too nice. It's a good find for someone wanting one, especially anyone in the southern California area. 331615167819

$_57-A.JPG$_57-B.JPG

It sold for $1,400 plus a $280 buyers premium. Packing and freight shipping would probably bring the price up to $2,000-plus. Ultimately, seemed a shame to pay that much for one in that nice of condition only to rip it apart and make it movie accurate.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back