The Martian Space Suit

Yeah Shrubpig, it´s not easy to see that it goes all the way around, but it´s there under the climbersbelt on the back, and the climbersbelt is inside on the sides. Soulinertia you really know all this stuff,. so cool.

The one I got isn´t the right one, but it´s the closest thing I found,. the colors seem to be a tan and dark mix, so I´m planning on breaking mine down and rebuild it.
And there is some nice puffyness to the borders. I have no idea how these belts are made so it will be good to have one to look at.

belt22.jpg

Has anyone started looking at the shoes,. Where does one buy an of the shelf nasa sole? haha
I have an idea to make a 3d model and print it hard and then do rubber cast. Or print it in flexible rubber,. anyone tested shapeways Elasto Plastic?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah @Shrubpig, it´s not easy to see that it goes all the way around, but it´s there under the climbersbelt on the back, and the climbersbelt is inside on the sides. @Soulinertia you really know all this stuff,. so cool.

The one I got isn´t the right one, but it´s the closest thing I found,. the colors seem to be a tan and dark mix, so I´m planning on breaking mine down and rebuild it.
And there is some nice puffyness to the borders. I have no idea how these belts are made so it will be good to have one to look at.

View attachment 507277

Has anyone started looking at the shoes,. Where does one buy an of the shelf nasa sole? haha
I have an idea to make a 3d model and print it hard and then do rubber cast. Or print it in flexible rubber,. anyone tested shapeways Elasto Plastic?

I know the harness goes through the belt on the sides, when I posted the first post I didn't realize it at the time.

I'm looking at the Molle / Padded belt and it looks like a custom job. Here's my reasoning. The material on the outside does not look like it's Dupont Cordura under the webbing lattice. It's some kinda of mesh that wouldn't handle a rough environment real well.

Second, I disagree with MaarekSteele in that the color is a dark tan or a mix. I got this photo of the suit in the Hab without the Helmet. I've zoomed in on the belt and it does look more gray than anything else. And yes, the belt is squared off on the ends.

010.jpg
Martian_Belt_Hab copy.jpg

The belt cover pieces might actually be MOLLE belt panels and not an actual battle belt. I have yet to find one with the right pattern, though.

I took these screen shots of the trailer to try and identify the helmet light on the suit. These lights are a pain to identify, the mounting points are moulded into the casing and that makes each specific to Left and Right mounting points. In addition, I'm very certain that these light were used on the Space EVA Suits just like the Mars Surface suits. Here's the Space and Surface lights. Notice the little shroud around the upper light. The small square light below it are in the same position. The mounting points have the same orientation. I think they are all the same unit. Maybe this will help, but I'm gonna keep looking. I have been thinking these might have been range finders repurposed, but I can always be wrong.

Martian_Helemt_Lights.jpgMartian_Helemt_Lights_2.jpg

I am really loving the profile of the helmet, looks awesome!

only thing i am not a fan of is the gopro. Why would a large NASA mission 30+ years in the future be using modern day consumer cameras on mars?

but i digress, still looks great :)

It's not supposed to take place 30+ years from now, it's supposed to take place pretty much in the present, with modern technologies. Some of the only things Andy Weir fudged were the ion engines (modern ion engines are nowhere near as good as the ones on Hermes) and the fact that you are able to get in and out of a suit by yourself in less than ten minutes and be able to move better than current space suits.

It's not supposed to take place 30+ years from now, it's supposed to take place pretty much in the present, with modern technologies. Some of the only things Andy Weir fudged were the ion engines (modern ion engines are nowhere near as good as the ones on Hermes) and the fact that you are able to get in and out of a suit by yourself in less than ten minutes and be able to move better than current space suits.

But Andy weir himself said Ares 3 launches July 7, 2035:

https://www.facebook.com/462962073803090/photos/a.463868883712409.1073741828.462962073803090/682817308484231/?type=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it had to do with the launch date window overlapping Thanksgiving so they had an excuse to bring the potatoes.

Who knows, maybe GoPros will remain relatively unchanged in appearance for the next 20 years, but so technologically advanced and durable that NASA just had to have em.

Yeah, it had to do with the launch date window overlapping Thanksgiving so they had an excuse to bring the potatoes.

Who knows, maybe GoPros will remain relatively unchanged in appearance for the next 20 years, but so technologically advanced and durable that NASA just had to have em.

I guess that's just what ill have to tell myself... lol

Also, 2035 is on'y 20 years in the future, not 30+. DSLR cameras look basically the same as 2005 ones did. As do camcorders. No reason to think GoPros couldn't become an iconic shape/style and stay with it for branding purposes.

that's very true. i honestly didn't know the exact date when i said 30+ years, i think i just knew it took place in the 30s and for some reason i wrote it out as being 30 years in the future, which its not. my bad.

and i suppose you are right about the camera designs, thanks for allowing my mind to rest lol

It just occurred to me that you might be able to get away with a smaller than usual climbing harness as the sides will be covered up by the battle belt and the leg loops will be extended with grey webbing. You could cut the side of the harness near the front gear loops and sew it to the inside of the battle belt. Therefore, the XS harnesses that Wild Country (supposedly?) has in stock may work for anyone in the small to maybe large harness range. (I actually wonder if they did that for the on-screen ones as it looks like they're being worn quite oversized compared to how a climbing harness is usually worn.)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back