Greedo Blaster Discussion

as you wish ;)

he is a comparsion of the lastest toolguy connector to my real one.
the front end of the 3D printed one could need a revision, also needs to be longer...agreed
but I still think my real one is a tad too long, judge yourself

also included a pic of it attached to the ruger in Jawa and Greedo "mode"

Markus

Shoot man, I dunno. That looks pretty dang close.

Thanks for the quick photos!

Can you do one more shot of them flipped over on the other side? Where the holes in the trans rotor parts are further back.

Made a couple placeholders for the tapered sweep arm parts on the lathe.

I just eye balled it, so they're probably not right, but they're close.

Just wanted to have something there for the time being.

uploadfromtaptalk1407005393731.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407005399366.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407005406006.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407005411814.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks again! If that one's too long, I think it's only by a few thousandths.

Have you got dimensions? What's the overall length? I'm guessing it's somewhere around 1.185"?

Unfortunately all I have is a small lathe, no mill. I don't have the tooling to do them.

Toolguy, I think you're right that my missile assembly needs to scoot back a couple hairs, maybe .100"-.150".

Can you edit your trans rotor part model so the ends extend making the overall length 1.185"?

Last edited:
I am starting to gather parts for this build. I got 4 tomtit kits from reade models on the way. Working on the sweep rods next.

The thing I will find problematic about the build is the alteration of the bull barrel on the all metal version. Not sure what I can do to cleanly cut it down. And then, if i do remove it, what do i replace it with?

Perhaps some tapered replacement barrels can be 3D printed?

Marushin does make a tapered barrel Mk I, but it's not terribly affordable.

Also, Chris, dunno if you're still following along...

But are you sure the protrusion from the barrel isn't just a metal rod that was cast into the blaster for rigidity, then chopped after removal from the mold? It looks like a hacksaw was taken to it, like some of the stunt sabers.

I'm seeing a seam line at the back face of the bolt in the photo where the blaster is pointed at Han's chest, so I'm fairly convinced Greedo's gun is a resin cast.

Might be old news. But the trigger guard also looks to be thicker, just like the jawa gun. Another sign of a casting. I'm even considering building up my trigger guard with some melty sheet styrene at this point...

I didn't do a whole lot of research on these but what I originally designed was 1 inch long and to make geometry look right it was made shorter. I can modify the rectangular section & increase the length .250 inch. This would help with your length. The printed pieces are .787 inch long.

Also when I was scaling the photo of Lukes hand the pieces are 2 different sizes. Not too much different but different all the same. Which tells me there are different sizes .

As for the exact size and orientation someone with better photos will have to help out.

These would be way more expensive to machine. I am a tool and die maker by trade & just estimating price of $40 a pair. These have multiple set ups in a lathe and mill depending on how they are done. Price may come down if you can find a shop to do runs of these but I don't think this is a big demand item.

Any questions let me know.

I'm fine with the printed plastic parts, honestly.

As cool as this blaster is, it's pretty secondary. We all love all-metal stuff, but I just can't justify machined aluminum greeblies on this gun, let alone spending hundreds of dollars on original parts. A sweep arm and stylus brush just sold on eBay for stupid money. I wonder if it was one of us, or just someone buying parts for their turntable. I mean, it ain't a cheap thing, no matter how you slice it..

Last edited:

But are you sure the protrusion from the barrel isn't just a metal rod that was cast into the blaster for rigidity, then chopped after removal from the mold? It looks like a hacksaw was taken to it, like some of the stunt sabers.

I'm seeing a seam line at the back face of the bolt in the photo where the blaster is pointed at Han's chest, so I'm fairly convinced Greedo's gun is a resin cast.

Might be old news. But the trigger guard also looks to be thicker, just like the jawa gun. Another sign of a casting. I'm even considering building up my trigger guard with some melty sheet styrene at this point...

My theory... I think they built this in the same way the did DH-17s. I agree it is a cast. It might even be a cast of a cast. They cast a mk1 then modified that first cast. That is when they modified the trigger guard. Did they do this because Greedo has big fingers and/or because they were concerned about a trigger guard being cast well? I have no idea. After the second cast, they put on the greebles. Maybe the tomtit parts fit better on the barrel at a certain location and it left too much of the barrel showing, so they hacked it off.

I agree, MJF. It was my understanding that the reason trigger guards are built up like that for molding was because they're so thin, and easily broken when cast. I don't think it had anything to do with Greedo's fingers.

100% positive the barrel protrusion is a Michell part. I'm fairly certain it's the body of an older style sweep arm from a Hydraulic Reference. The later model was used a lot in ESB (Fett's toe spikes etc), but the older model was used in ANH. Most of the piece is hidden by the radial engine part, but the taper is clear and there is a definite center hole.

I don't see anything that makes me think it's a casting. The detail is really clean on it. I'll have to look into this some more. Greedo's fingers obscure the front of the trigger guard in my best pics. The back of the trigger area looks unmodified.

Markus is correct in that his Michell head connector is too long and the 3D printed replica is too short.
Here's a comparison of Markus' to the real part on the prop...
michellhead_greedo.jpg
Those white lines are roughly placed, but there's a definite length difference.
This one seems to be the correct size...
jmfluidarmo.jpgjmfluidarmn.jpgjmfluidarmm.jpgjmfluidarml.jpg

IF it's a casting I think it's first generation. The DH-17's are second gen and they're awful. The knurling, Ruger lettering, and threading at the barrel base are all very clean.
Keep in mind this thing was a custom Ruger to begin with, not a standard Mk 1. The base of the barrel cuts into the standard Ruger body and is threaded for some purpose - silencer?

Just to clarify, some castings were made of this Ruger for sure, obviously. The Jawa gun and possibly even the Greedo gun for the US pickup shots were resin, but I'm not convinced one way or the other yet on the hero Greedo blaster used in the UK shoot.

It's a Michell Hydraulic Reference Fluid Arm. I'm not sure if there's a model number, but all Michell Star Wars parts come from the Hydraulic Reference which was in production at the time.
The story is there was a bin at Michell that the prop department could pick greeblies out of. I'm guessing most of the parts in the bin had slight defects so they couldn't be used on turntables.

d656_3.JPG
(There are over a dozen Star Wars greeblies visible in this pic)

Love it! Thanks for the pic Lone.
awesome...the most expensive turntable they could find :facepalm

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back