Star lord orb??

Morphsprops

I know a lot of people are starting there own star lord mask and guns here lately and I can't say that I'm any different because I'm doing the same thing. I have the mask almost completed and the pistols are in paint right now, but what I'm wondering is if any one as any idea on how to make the orb. It looks like a balled up pc of metal but I'm not sure how to recreate that. Any one got any ideas?

the orb
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-a_DXn9MCRVc/Ujs1miNDPQI/AAAAAAAAAOs/aLGy_iCK384/s1600/detail.jpg

thanks!!

I'm working on one. I carved it out of a styrofoam ball, which has worked out fairly well so far except that the surface is still really rough. I'm trying to smooth it out with a glue/water mix (though I'm pretty much only using white glue at this point - I believe I'm on my 5th coat). I've been mixing in a bit more black paint with each coat so that I can tell where I've already painted (white glue on white styrofoam was tricky!), and to provide a base coat. It's still not smooth, so I might have to try something else. :( Another member here did the same thing but used spackle to smooth it - I might need to try that.

I've seen someone else who made it out of acrylic (http://www.therpf.com/f78/guardians-galaxy-orb-infinity-stone-211169/#post3275207).

I'm working on one. I carved it out of a styrofoam ball, which has worked out fairly well so far except that the surface is still really rough. I'm trying to smooth it out with a glue/water mix (though I'm pretty much only using white glue at this point - I believe I'm on my 5th coat). I've been mixing in a bit more black paint with each coat so that I can tell where I've already painted (white glue on white styrofoam was tricky!), and to provide a base coat. It's still not smooth, so I might have to try something else. :( Another member here did the same thing but used spackle to smooth it - I might need to try that.

I've seen someone else who made it out of acrylic (http://www.therpf.com/f78/guardians-galaxy-orb-infinity-stone-211169/#post3275207).

I worked with a styrofoam ball as well. Made the grooves with a wood burner. Once I put some filler primer on it the ball became smoother while still retaining most of the styrofoam dents. I have since lightened the color a bit, less bronze-ish and also painted the inside of the grooves black.

The water/glue idea is also a good one that I may look into doing.

This is the unfinished ball and display.

I worked with a styrofoam ball as well. Made the grooves with a wood burner. Once I put some filler primer on it the ball became smoother while still retaining most of the styrofoam dents. I have since lightened the color a bit, less bronze-ish and also painted the inside of the grooves black.

[URL]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c356/abw_chris/IMAG0048.jpg[/URL]

That looks pretty good! I will post pictures of mine at some point, but right now it doesn't have enough contrast - it doesn't show up well in pictures at all. I'm not sure that the water/glue thing is working very well, but maybe I'm just impatient and need to do a bunch more coats. ;)

I think the contrast will come from layers of paint. If I make one, i will probably paint it black, then dry brush some silver on the high points to get that kind of contrast.

Foam seems like an ok medium to work in. I wonder about clay?

That looks pretty good! I will post pictures of mine at some point, but right now it doesn't have enough contrast - it doesn't show up well in pictures at all. I'm not sure that the water/glue thing is working very well, but maybe I'm just impatient and need to do a bunch more coats. ;)

I wonder if a few layers of PVA and then plastidip would give it a decent amount of smoothness.

I wonder if a few layers of PVA and then plastidip would give it a decent amount of smoothness.

I've never worked with Plastidip before, so I'm not sure. I don't even have any handy to test with! If you do try it, let me know. At this point, I think I'll keep going with my glue mix and hope it turns out okay. With the other projects I have on the go, I really don't have time to remake the orb if the Plastidip doesn't work, lol!

- - - Updated - - -

I think the contrast will come from layers of paint. If I make one, i will probably paint it black, then dry brush some silver on the high points to get that kind of contrast.

Foam seems like an ok medium to work in. I wonder about clay?

That's about what I'm planning too. I'll start with black, and do silver for the high parts and maybe a bit of detailing. I'll have to take another look at pictures of the movie prop before I really start painting.

I've never sculpted clay, so I'm not sure about that. Were you going to keep it as clay, or mould from your sculpt? Just clay might be heavy.

Thanks !! For all the replies reading what you guys have done I think I have an idea on how to attempt it........ I'll report back in a few days on my findings lol

[url]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c356/abw_chris/IMAG0048.jpg[/URL]

Okay, those display bases are awesome! How did you make them?

Unfortunately I don't have a Premium account, I may sell a few through e-bay.
I'd say a rough price would be $85.

Sorry Morphprops I don't want you to think I'm hijacking your thread.

I'm doing the exact same thing actually... making one out of a styrofoam ball

I'm doing the exact same thing actually... making one out of a styrofoam ball

I think a lot of people had the same idea. ;) I'll try to get some better pictures of mine once it has some more contrast. It looks like the glue mix is finally working to smooth it out, though I suspect it still needs at least a couple more coats to get it to where I'd like it to be. Then I'm going to hit it with some silver and a black wash and see how it turns out!

I think a lot of people had the same idea. ;) I'll try to get some better pictures of mine once it has some more contrast. It looks like the glue mix is finally working to smooth it out, though I suspect it still needs at least a couple more coats to get it to where I'd like it to be. Then I'm going to hit it with some silver and a black wash and see how it turns out!

Damn you for beating me to it ;)

I've been dremeling away on mine... havent even thought about some of the smoothing. I was actually wondering if they were going to have it lightup somehow in the movie.

Here's how I'm trying to do mine:
P1110480.JPG

First pinch a ball of your young child. ;)

Add a layer of milliput:

P1110484.JPG

Then attack it with a fork, to give the texture of the black base part. (More attacking has been done than shows in the photo.)

Next stage will be to add more strings of milliput for the top layer.

GLXB

Okay, those display bases are awesome! How did you make them?

They actually just a few different bases from Michaels that I modifie by restaining, dremelling, and edging the pieces here and there. All told the bases cost me maybe 10 to 15 bucks. Had most of the other materials already.

Damn you for beating me to it ;)

I've been dremeling away on mine... havent even thought about some of the smoothing. I was actually wondering if they were going to have it lightup somehow in the movie.

It doesn't look like it lights up, from what I've seen so far in the trailers, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it doessomething.

Here's what I've got so far. It's really shiny because I just added another coat of the glue mix and it's still wet. It will definitely need a few more coats. It's still not as smooth as I'd like it to be.

DSC_1246.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back