Ghostbusters movie by Paul Feig

But, no, the fact that it's four women "replacing" four well beloved male characters is NOT reason enough to single out their gender if we are talking about feminism.

But it is once we continue to talk about "Ghostbusters".

The fact that Feig likes to cast women is no more extraordinary than the fact that Tim Burton likes to cast Johnny Depp.

It indeed is not. Especially since he seems to be on a roll with MM. But comparing Feig to Burton is a bit ... like comparing apples and pears.

But it appears that Reitman was the one who insisted on it.

The way I read that email you are quoting it sounds like Sony of course was cool with the idea but in the end had the last say about what goes in and what not.
So it is probably safe to assume that a "Reitman-nod" may have been different to a "Sony-nod" to the old franchise.

Any new GB movie would do this. But the examples we have seen so far are pretty "meh", IMO:

No we can't...because, I don't tilt at windmills. I see no credible social commentary to be had and I believe political correctness is nothing more than Orwellion "Newspeak." It's tyranny against common sense.

I get that that some want to anchor a cause to this film and debate it ad nauseam, but the majority of us just don't care. We're simply dissapointed that after having waited this long, this is the end result. Nothing deep, nothing to wax Nietzsche about. Sometimes a turd is just a turd.

Look, if you want to put an onion in your drink and call it a martini, rock on! The rest of us will call it a Gibson.

-Rylo

But look, if you're going to go off about "social commentary" and political correctness, can we at least have an adult conversation about it?.

No we can't...because, I don't tilt at windmills. I see no credible social commentary to be had and I believe political correctness is nothing more than Orwellion "Newspeak." It's tyranny against common sense.

I get that that some want to anchor a cause to this film and debate it ad nauseam, but the majority of us just don't care. We're simply dissapointed that after having waited this long, this is the end result. Nothing deep, nothing to wax Nietzsche about. Sometimes a turd is just a turd.

Look, if you want to put an onion in your drink and call it a martini, rock on! The rest of us will call it a Gibson.

-Rylo

See Rylo, the thing is, nobody is really trying to anchor this film to a cause.

Certainly we did see some of that with Bridesemaids, where there was an online movement to get people to see it, lest it fail and Hollywood not produce anymore female driven movies. But this is not that.

You see no credible social commentary? As with Neil's comment about not "needing" to see himself in the pictures...male sees no "credible point" in gender equality? Shocking.

If you don't want to have this discussion, fine. For as much as you talk about dropping your opinion and moving on, you're doing a lot more opining and a lot less moving on.

The idea that it's four women replacing four very well-beloved male characters is reason enough to call attention to the gender.

Now hold on one second. You can't fault this movie for replacing the "well-beloved male characters". Harold Ramis passed away and Bill Murray seems to have moved on from the franchise. I know you would love to believe that Paul Feig insisting that the team comprise of women be his number one fault for stunt casting, pandering or whatever the heck you want to call it. There are far, FAR more important details regarding the characters than the fact that he wanted women to play them. I don't know anything about their personalities, their motivations or why they're all together in the first place. What will their chemistry be like? These are important elements that, despite what you want to believe, Paul Feig is pretty good at executing.

I'm a Ghostbusters fan, above and beyond. And while I certainly see how forward thinking it is to say 'gender doesn't matter', I'm on both sides of that coin. Gender matters, and it doesn't matter. It matters because I think all sides deserve to have representation, and I don't think it matters when it comes to areas like discrimination, generalization and role play. It matters to me because I want to see an all-female Ghostbusters team, but I'm not doing so as a means to replace the originals. To say that this is meant to replace the originals is like saying a new take on a Shakespeare story is meant to replace an different take of it. Also, Manhattan Shakespeare Company.

So says the guy with over 100 posts on this thread! You've actually devoted that much of your life to this thread?!

Yeah, yeah, I totally get how I've contradicted myself with 5 or 6 blurbs! :lol

-Rylo

See Rylo, the thing is, nobody is really trying to anchor this film to a cause.

Certainly we did see some of that with Bridesemaids, where there was an online movement to get people to see it, lest it fail and Hollywood not produce anymore female driven movies. But this is not that.

You see no credible social commentary? As with Neil's comment about not "needing" to see himself in the pictures...male sees no "credible point" in gender equality? Shocking.

If you don't want to have this discussion, fine. For as much as you talk about dropping your opinion and moving on, you're doing a lot more opining and a lot less moving on.

Now hold on one second. You can't fault this movie for replacing the "well-beloved male characters". Harold Ramis passed away and Bill Murray seems to have moved on from the franchise. I know you would love to believe that Paul Feig insisting that the team comprise of women be his number one fault for stunt casting, pandering or whatever the heck you want to call it. There are far, FAR more important details regarding the characters than the fact that he wanted women to play them. I don't know anything about their personalities, their motivations or why they're all together in the first place. What will their chemistry be like? These are important elements that, despite what you want to believe, Paul Feig is pretty good at executing.

I'm a Ghostbusters fan, above and beyond. And while I certainly see how forward thinking it is to say 'gender doesn't matter', I'm on both sides of that coin. Gender matters, and it doesn't matter. It matters because I think all sides deserve to have representation, and I don't think it matters when it comes to areas like discrimination, generalization and role play. It matters to me because I want to see an all-female Ghostbusters team, but I'm not doing so as a means to replace the originals. To say that this is meant to replace the originals is like saying a new take on a Shakespeare story is meant to replace an different take of it. Also, Manhattan Shakespeare Company.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

So says the guy with over 100 posts on this thread! You've actually devoted that much of your life to this thread?!

Yeah, yeah, I totally get how I've contradicted myself with 5 or 6 blurbs! :lol

-Rylo

Yeah, I'm the guy who says he wants to have a discussion. So I participate in the discussion.

You're the one who says you're moving on and that you don't want to talk about it, but you keep talking. If you'd like to have a discussion, I'm game. If not, then you've said your piece. No?

Not if I'm succeeding in frustrating you. Hell, I wasn't even trying. Admittedly, that interests me more than anything at this point. ;)

Sadly, nope. Nothing you're saying interests me.

Don't take it personal. I'm sure you're awesome and someone else will take the poorly laid bait.

Yeah, I'm the guy who says he wants to have a discussion. So I participate in the discussion.

You're the one who says you're moving on and that you don't want to talk about it, but you keep talking. If you'd like to have a discussion, I'm game. If not, then you've said your piece. No?

Last edited:
Not if I'm succeeding in frustrating you. ;)

So you want to take a shot at me for participating in an RPF thread, meanwhile you think it's a worthwhile exercise in your time to purposely antagonize some random person on the internet because they have an opinion that differs from yours?

Cool priorities, bro.

I'm an INTJ personality, we don't really take things personally. It's less frustrating to me, as it is lowering my opinion of you. Which is unfortunate, because you're a very talented artist.

I think it's simply made for the new gen...I know, I'll download it (not going for the theatre experience much these years:rolleyes)...clean slate. Difficult to do with the gen that saw the first movies. It's as if, someone ask of you to delete any memories of the first Ghostbuster movies and accept this "new" version.
Now, I don't get the "Feminism" label/discussion people have put on that artsy exercise, but it's just a movie with 4 women leads (I hate labels in the first place:behave)...big deal, nothing deep about it. It's just part of the show people, just part of the show.

I'm just going to say it...

Lamest RPF movie pre-release thread... EVER.

I Have no idea why I keep checking it to see if anything about the movie has been posted???

I vote we start a new thread where the CRAP is left out...

YES it's lame that everyone is hating on the all women thing...

But it IS lame that this director won't step out of his comfort zone.

It's beyond obvious that the all women thing is a gimmick. And that in and of itself is kinda sexist!

Almost 100% of our female members see that...

Why is it that 5 or 6 of the males here keep regurgitating the same defense ad-nauseum?

I wonder how many of those have ever even had a girlfriend?

Using movies that white males created and/or acted in and changing race or sex because "it's not fair" is childish and cheap at best.

make a new concept. Make it with all gay black women. If it's a good movie 99.9% of RPFers will go see it!

No one here is going to change the oppositions way of seeing this...

SHUT THE **** UP ALREADY.

Let's wait and see. What's done is done.

You can choose to not see it at all!

SHUT UP!!!!

Here's a new pre-release thread for actually discussing the film rather than RPF members:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=242926

Please don't bring social commentary into that thread. We're discussing a movie.

Please don't try and project your throughts on other members and how they feel about gender issues. For that matter, don't share how you feel about gender outside of how they're translating the property with a team comprised of women. We're discussing a movie.

Please don't try and shame people who don't like the thing for "caring too much" about a movie. Disliking something you see is not whining. We all care too much about movies - we're on the RPF.

If you can follow those guidelines, come on over! If not, you're in the right place already.

It's also kind of funny watching the FB Ghostbuster groups. One in particular claims to be impartial and neither for or against the new movie.. yet, they seem to trash anyone who hates on the movie in a thoughtful way. they just ban the people who are outright stupid with their comments.

I saw a post the other day where they are thinking of stopping all negative comment and just going 'pro movie'....

when I brought up how I hated the molding going through and over the logo, their response was so over the top, it's either a 'true colors shown' moment or a 'tired of bitching overload' moment....

thanks sony. I'm almost ashamed to be a ghostbuster fan with all the vitrol going on... instead of being happy about a new ghostbusters movie, it's more arguing than I've ever seen on any reboot done since...

You have a very warped sense of priorities. You're actually "hoping" that this movie will not only bomb, but also destroy Paul Feig's career as well? And you somehow think that will stop the studio from making a sequel that you feel we're all somehow entitled to? Are you out of your mind? How is any of that reasonable thing to hope for? It's despicable.

Wah wah wah. Movies that do poorly don't get sequels, that's generally how business happens. If he is ruining ONE franchise by making a movie he doesn't even want to make, then he'll ruin others. Better that his career crashes and burns than he ruins other things we love. Good riddance to him if he's going to trash a franchise.

So....

Now that we have the new thread to talk about the movie, are we free to use this one just to call each other dicks?

dicks.

nah.....about as far as I'll go....

I think supporters of this new movie are the same ones that think "Ghostbusters" sounds like a clone copy of "I want a New Drug". Never even HEARD that song until mid 90s ;o).

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back