Becoming The Winter Soldier -- Winter Soldier Build Thread!

shieldsandstars

Okay so as I've mentioned before while I was working on my Captain America Rescue Costume (You can find that here if you like) my next big build would be my Winter SOldier costume.

Welp. I figure no time like the present to start, and thanks to the Research Thread I think I'm finally getting to the point where I can start tackling this. I know it's not going to be easy and I might not really be able to actually "build" much till I get my workout routine going and get my body into the shape that I want it. (Yes yes I know Round is a shape but that is not the shape I'm going for lol XD)

Everyone wish me luck and PLEASE Dear god Please if anyone knows any great places to find the airsoft/fake weapons, arm building supplies/tips/tutorials/ETC., mask building supplies/tips/tutorials/ETC., and/or anything else that might come in handy. Please don't hesitate to post it here and share!

For right now I'm going to just get my list made and out of the way. (I'm not going to get into individual weapons right now, I'll get that whole list sorted and figure out exactly what I want to do with it later.)

Here's the list:

• Jacket
  • Arm
  • Boots
  • Harness
  • Tactical Pants (Black)
  • Knee Pads
  • Gloves
  • Mask
  • Weapons (Yeeeahh we're just gonna list this as "Weapons" For right now and get into that shenagry later)

I'm not sure if I want to do the goggles or not though, because I want to do the black eye makeup and mask combo with WS. However I did find a cheap pair of tactical goggles that I can get on Amazon that'd work well with WS. (Those are these bad boys)

RIPme_zps24572295.jpg

Also while looking for this picture I found a huge Hi-Res picture that has some more good mask details as well.

captainthumb.jpg

So out of that list of stuff needed (which I hope I'm not missing anything... I don't think I am) This is what I have already:

• Gloves

10645047_10201831979236089_2176871528286489570_n.jpg

(Sorry the picture's really crappy but there's my biker gloves that I use for my Black Canary and Young Justice Invasion Superboy, and whatever else I need. They're like my all-purpose biker gloves so they'll do just fine for this.)

^^;;; I know my list is barely there for right now but hopefully I'll get that better soon. For the pants, I'm just going to go with a pair of black Tactical pants which are basically just fancier black BDUs. Thanks to the Research Thread I found the Bates on Amazon, but just in case for some really really whacked out reason I can't get them. My Black Corcorans from my Captain America costume will do in a pinch. (Shouldn't be a problem since these Bates tend to be cheaper than my Corcorans were!)

Knee pads... I have a sneaky suspicion I might be able to find something at Home Depot and then just spray paint it black.

I have a possible lead on the Jacket... but I'm not holding my breath I still need to do some more hunting and contact a couple people. Worst case scenario I'll get a somewhat decent not too expensive black leather jacket and alter it. (Without partially breaking my Baby Lock this time)

The mask is gonna be the tough part. I honestly have no idea where to even start with this. But I have found a few skiing masks that come all the way up to the ears, now they normally have vents in them, and honestly from what I've heard of how hot this costume can get... might need to keep it in there just for breathing purposes if I decide to go with that mask.

That's about all I have for right now. I know the first step is to actually get into some kind of shape...other than round. And then work from there. Thankfully though even though I'm planning on losing inches as well as pounds and I'm going to attempt (I dare say attempt over here) to build up my arms and my abs as much as possible that way I can have some real muscle to work with for my arm build and I can flatten this stomach out of mine so it'll look a bit more convincing.

Just like my Cap I am not going to genderbend this. I have my binder, it works fantastically, no problems there. I'll definitely have to trim my hair so it's the proper WS length but for now it's fine and I'm going to worry about that closer to when I get this thing done and to the con(s) I'll be wearing it to.

The plan is to have this ready for Philly Comic Con 2015. And if possible (I'm not holding my breath) Zenkaikon 2015 which is happening in March. Since I have more time I'm going to try and get this right the first time and not cop out on anything, but I'll do what I can.

For the Workout Box: (I'll just call it a box I guess!)
| Starting Inches (Tummy Widest Part): 42" |
| Starting Weight: 185.6 lbs |
|__________________________________|

Andddd here we go!

Last edited:
Smallish update!

Still haven't dived in and started collecting materials yet, but I actually started taking Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Classes so that's going to be my workout in order to get my weight down and build up some muscle. On top of that I'm going to be starting Yoga next week to add to my routine, so there's going to be a lot of physical working out going on! I'll be keeping an eye on my weight progress, I don't think anything's changed just yet but I'll take a quick step on the scale and see.

I did order some more gloves in because my pair that I have pictured above busted on me again. :( Unfortunately though the gloves I ordered are backordered at the moment so I have no idea when they're going to get here. For right now I think I'll try and focus on parts of the costume that won't be effected once I lose the weight and my stomach flattens itself out.

Which will be limited down to:

• Boots
  • Harness (maybe??)
  • Knee Pads
  • Weapons

I know I could technically put the Mask on that list but I'm going to wait on that and see if anything changes with my face (It prooobbably won't but who knows)

So I think I got my work cut out for me honestly, the weapons alone are going to be a bit on the tough side acquiring them all.

Weapons List: (Just as a side note, I'm not going to be doing any of the grenade launchers. I'll stick with the Rifle that has the attachment (If I can find said attachment) but the whole point of the launchers was that they were handed to him and then he changed them out for his rifle, so yeah I'm going to just stick to carrying around the rifle and having everything else just strapped down.)

• AR-15 with optics and M203 Grenade Launcher attachment(The Research Thread says that it's probably an EO Tech sight, but I'll figure out something to use other than a $600 sight)
  • Scorpion Machine Pistol (The Tumblr gifset for references I found labels it as a Vz.61 Scorpion but someone please correct them if they're wrong they already goofed on the rifle)
  • Gerber Mk II Knife (I have no clue how I'm going to be able to find a prop version of this, I may have to substitute for a different training knife that's similiar)
  • Benchmade SOCP 176BK (I have no clue what this is, I'll be looking it up shortly. Thank you tumblr for pointing this out)
  • Prop Grenades, one on each side (Shouldn't be too hard to make I think. I highly doubt I can find dead versions of these)
  • Two Gerber Yari Tantos (I'll make sure to let the Research thread know about these, these knives were identified on the Tumblr Gif Set I mentioned, I'll put a link to it here. Honestly I think the only thing they goofed on was the rifle so it's still pretty good.)
  • Sig Sauer P226R (Left Thigh)
  • COP .357 (Top Right Thigh)
  • Intratec TEC-38 (Bottom Right Thigh)

-PHEW- Alright so I'm going to be surfing through a ton of Airsoft sites to see if I can find all these. I'm hoping so, I've already found the rifle:

It just needs a bit of altering (Aka a new sight) and it'll be just perfect. (For those of you that don't know, The M16 is the military designation for the AR-15. In other words: They're the same rifle it's just he military calls it the M16 and the Civilians call it the AR-15). Now if I can't find a holographic airsoft sight, I'll just use a red dot (Nobody murder me but ya know I'm gonna use what I can get).

I'm going to leave this bit of an update here, since I have some things I have to do but I'm probably going to get all these weapons found today ish if I'm lucky enough. Stay tuned for more madness!

For the Workout Box:
| Starting Inches (Tummy Widest Part): 42"|
| Current Inches (Tummy Widest Part): 42"|
| Starting Weight: 185.6 lbs |
| Current Weight: 184.8 lbs |
|__________________________________|

Started looking up the weapons more so today (since I have time). I'm having trouble finding the Skorpion Pistol for a reasonable amount of money. (I'm sorry I'm not paying $100 for an airsoft gun. If it were a real gun that'd be a different story!) So if anyone knows where I could find one for relatively cheap please please let me know.

As for the P226r, I found one on Amazon.com. That and I double checked what I was seeing for the M16 I linked above, the reviews on the hobbytron site aren't even valid at all, they're just people talking and rating 5 stars. And the reviews on Amazon were really bad for it so I found something different that's rated better, looks better, and has more for the same price.

I'm going to be flipping back and forth between Amazon and other places, I might check Ebay if I can. But if anyone knows where I can find inexpensive Airsoft guns that would be a lifesaver right now!

As promised here is the link to the tumblr gifset (FYI this is not my gifset, I just reblogged it onto my rp account, in case someone gets particular on the details.)

http://wintersamnesiac.tumblr.com/tagged/costume-reference

I did acquire my kneepads and my heatgun so I can get started working on things as soon as I'm ready to build the arm. (that's not going to be for a little while though)

10703602_10201944214001888_5812958299640936751_n.jpg

These Kneepads aren't exactly like the movie but they're the best I found. I went to Home Depot last night and picked these up, they're Husky brand down in the hardware section. They do have a more expensive pair that are just the rubbery flex grippy part with a basic foam back that you don't see but I thought these would work better. (While I do have time to get it 100% accurate, I am not going to murder myself over kneepads).

Now on the Research thread I have seen some different links to people that make Gerber MK II replicas, and I've heard that the Yari Tantos should be coming soon with one girl who has things on Etsy. I'm going to look around a bit when it comes to the knives. I really really just wish I could find a place around here that has the rubber versions so I could just snag them and not have to worry about not being able to find them or what not.

But anywho, That's two down, a bunch more to go!

I'm still not entirely sure what in the world the Benchmade SOCP 176BK is so I'm going to be looking that up shortly so I have some idea what it's even for. If I need to, with the way the sheath is, I'll probably see if all I need is the top part sticking out. *I just quick looked it up while writing this down and now I get it. Dagger it is!* SO! For the Dagger then, I have no clue what to do, I'll be on the same page with the knives when it comes to this.

For the 40mm Grenades, I'll probably do the PVC version that someone showed on the Research thread, or I'll just figure something out. Gotta remember, spray paint is my best friend right now.

I did also hear that the Intratec TEC-38 isn't being made anymore, or something along those lines. So if anyone knows how in the world one is supposed to get the TEC-38 in an airsoft or somehow get it on ones costume, Please please let me know.

As always any advice, tips, tricks, part finding, etc. Is always welcome!

Hey guys, I know I haven't been on in a long while. But school's over for this semester and between making Christmas presents for my friends I figured I'd try and get some kind of work done on my costume if I can.

The gloves came in (All three pairs of them that I ordered), and over in the Research Thread we were trying to figure out what kind of fabric the mask was made of. Thanks to some help from my mom, who's waaayyy better at identifying which fabric is which than I am. I showed her the picture and she said it looks like a nylon type fabric. And after looking up swatches on google images confirmed it is indeed a nylon type!

Possibly Cordura.... but I tend to think it might not be that. I'm not sure. (I only found one picture that looked like the right type of weave that said it was Cordura swatches I'll put it down with the rest of the pictures.)

However! Till the exact weave pattern is discovered (it could be a custom so that might be difficult) Using a nylon fabric would definitely work. I did check Kevlar at first just to see, and when I compared it to the picture and then compared the nylon to the picture, the weave on the nylon is a lot closer.

Here's some swatch pictures I found also compared to the mask picture I have above. (I'm just gonna put it down here so you guys don't have to go scrolling up and down the page.)

Here's the original mask picture from the movie for reference:

View attachment 415364

And here's the different nylon swatches I found, I don't have labels for the specific types of fabric but if anybody does just feel free to let me know.

PVC-Coated-Nylon-Fabric.jpg
This one said it's a PVC coated nylon fabric when I pulled up the picture.
WaveGrade1.jpg
And these are the wave grade swatches I found of Cordura, like I said, I'm not entirely sure if the fabric is Cordura but it might be a good place to start.

Basically the nylon that would work well for this is backpack fabric from what I'm seeing. Not Ripstop because that's got a completely different weave to it, but something lightweight but still slightly heavy duty. Like the material used in my art portfolio I got for my art class.

I did check my one backpack I have and my art bag and It's pretty close.

Now my original idea was to get a neoprene ski mask and use it for a base for a worbla/craft foam combination so I can get the hard shell.
But with the nylon fabric, all I need to do is get the ski mask as a base (so I have the thickness) and sew the nylon fabric on. Then I can put leather (if i'm feeling daring) for the leather pieces or use foam or something for those bits if i can't get the leather.

I still need to look for the airsoft weapons, and I'm still brainstorming about the arm. I know this won't be easy but I should be able to get working on it more once the holidays are fully over. I'm probably not going to be able to get this done in time for the upcoming cons, (If I'm still going to Zenkaikon or anything that's up coming soon) but I'll see how it's working.

Also here's an update to the list of stuff I still need, just so it's here

Here's the list:

• Jacket
  • Arm
  • Boots
  • Harness
  • Tactical Pants (Black)
  • Mask
  • Weapons

I manage to get a benchmade socp dagger cheap on ebay, skorpion airsoft also a m4a1, sig sauer and a tec 38 derringer from wondersquid i just need the cop 357 derringer of the guns, the yari tanto knife i scratchbuilt and molding them rigth now, the gerber mk 2 is on the way, molding my arm today, i have almost everything, ill post pics soon

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh sweet! Yeah for me the dagger is probably going to be one of the harder ones to find, I mean as long as I can find it I can cast it. I'm probably going to do that with all the knives honestly.

I definitely want to see how you do your arm! While I would love to actually be able to do a seamless and fully movable arm, the chances of that happening are preeetyy slim for me. But I'm keeping my eyes and ears open and my brain constantly storming for new ideas. I honestly would really love to figure out how to do the urethane cast like they did for the hero arm for the actual movie. But I unfortunately don't know that much about casting anything in general so that could be a challenge. (Although there's a first for everything, my Cap shield and the bondo is a testament to that.) Although I'm pretty sure that the casting of anything is going to be a bit easier than my first time using fiberglass ^^;;

Honestly I'm getting more and more interested in urethane casting the more I keep hearing about it. I might even try to do something with the grenade ammo with it if I can. All i'd need to do is just find a dud and then cast it. Shouldn't be too difficult really.

WHOA! That's freaking awesome!

Is it okay if I pick your brains on how you're doing this? Is it just duct tape form of your arm, clay on top, and then casing the urethane?

WHOA! That's freaking awesome!

Is it okay if I pick your brains on how you're doing this? Is it just duct tape form of your arm, clay on top, and then casing the urethane?

duct tape arm, clay, then molding it in rebound 25 silicone i let it until tommorow
to do the mothermold tommorow

shieldsandstars
Almost all the answers to how to build the WS costume are on the research thread. I would recommend focusing on one item at a time.
The Skorpion is available on amazon for $13.95. Take it apart and remove everything from it, glue a thin rare earth magnet inside . When you make your backpiece glue enough rare earth magnets to the underside. You might have to experiment but you will find a combination that will hold it in place. The Sig can be bought as a blank firing weapon but it will be metal and it is as heavy as a real pistol. The left side holster is very hard to define and it will need to be attached to the pants and support a full weight pistol. (Unless you choose to compromise on either holster or pistol for something less accurate but more easily That will require suspenders to hold the pants (of course concealed by your vest or jacket.
The right side holster and guns are more difficult to acquire. There is a resin casting of the COP .357 on the internet. The TEC 38 is available as mentioned in a previous post on this thread. Study the right side holster as it must carry the COP, Tec-38, and 2 knives. Whatever material you use it must carry all these items in a specific orientation. The pictures in the research thread will help you.

Some people cast the knives. If you hunt around ( for example: etsy) you can fine resin copies.
Good Luck

Thanks for the help west! :D I'll definitely look for that Skorpion then, that was giving me the most trouble trying to find it. Yeaaahhh for right now I'm just trying to find what I can at the moment and focus on things that won't be affected once I start losing weight. (That's the main trouble is trying to slim down at least a little bit.) But I started lifting weights and am doing that along with the jiu-jitsu classes.

But cause my ankle is in a brace right now.... >.< Jiu-Jitsu class... it's a long story. I need to make sure I don't make anything worse so I'm gonna have to wait on the weights till this thing heals up.

I definitely want to work on that mask though, because I'm just itching to see if my idea works.

I just remembered actually, when it comes to the boots. I'm not going to bother altering them, I'll just get the Bates and honestly I think the last thing people look at are the shoes because for my Cap costume I had Black Corcorans instead of Brown and nobody said a thing.

When I get ready to tackle the craziness that is the holsters and all the weapons, I'll definitely be living in the research thread. I'll try my luck and see how many actual holsters I can find that'd fit the weapons I need and go from there. Even if it's something close, I'd rather have it close than break my back trying to get it just right right away. (It's like I said in my cap thread, I can always upgrade as I go.)

Okay! Mask is acquired so I can start building it up as soon as I get myself the fabric and leather material I need. this particular neoprene mask has a nose notch/hole/port thing so you can actually breathe and I'll be keeping that when I alter the mask. (Sorry but I want to be able to breathe in this thing). Other than that it's pretty comfortable so far I'm just gonna have to get used to wearing it.

shieldsandstars
. Take it apart and remove everything from it, glue a thin rare earth magnet inside . When you make your backpiece glue enough rare earth magnets to the underside. You might have to experiment but you will find a combination that will hold it in place.

Good Luck

This has been so helpful to me recently. I have read most of the research thread and have the backpiece made and most of the straps/ harness done. I was about to just rig up elastic straps to hold the scorpion on. This post spelled it out and made me re think just strapping it on, I have the magnets on the gun and the backpiece and am waiting on some freshly painted foam to dry and the epoxy on the magnets to cure fully . I am pretty excited about the look with no strap so thanks for the post Westarsmith.

Wow! PR that COP is awesome!! :D If I was that good with foam I'd take a stab at it and see if I could build that myself!

Hey Malibu! When you get that finished I'd love to see pictures, I'm still working on getting my things together and it's taking me a while to grab what I need. Haven't even started on the weapons yet ^^;; But like West said, it's best to do one thing at a time, so I'm gonna try to stick to that. Now that I have my mask, I'll try and get the fabric so I can get that done soon as I'm able to.

Also I kinda have some bad ish news.... I got a busted ankle right now so until I find out what's going on with it from the Orthopedist it looks like my workout plan's being put on hold. I'm apparently not even allowed to haul 5 gallon buckets around to clean fishtanks... which really blows cause I have stuff to clean. Either way, I'll keep everyone posted on the ankle situation. I just hope and pray I'm still able to take my Jiu-Jitsu classes. I'd hate to be put on hold from that. (At the very least I want to be able to lift weights again, I literally just got my kettle weight for Christmas... :C )

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back