Moonrise Kingdom

Laamberry

Hey guys! The boyfriend and I are hoping to pump out some quick Suzy and Sam costumes before Dragon*con rolls around but I'm having a hard time finding any leads even though they're such straight forward outfits. Can anybody tell me what the proper term for that pink fabric on Suzy's dress is? It looks like the sort of thing eyelet would be made out of but it can't be that..no holes, obviously. Any help would be appreciated. Also trying to source the base uniform for Sam, it seems like it's off the shelf but who really knows -- also, those freaking binoculars. And feel free to jump in if you're doing your own MK costumes!

7283315050_6637caeef1_o.jpg

I think your best bet is to get a quilted fabric and dye it. Like this:

Quilted Fabrics - Single Face Quilted Muslin Fabric in Unbleached

It seems like you would need a smaller square/diamond pattern and most of the quilting is at least 1". There was this one:

Quilted Fabrics - Single Face Quilted Pink Solid Fabric

or the double faced one:
Quilted Fabrics - Double Face Quilted Pink Solid Fabric

I don't know how thick the fabric is or if it may be to thick. Otherwise I don't think that dress really has a name for the fabric. It's just special fabric that would be something you go out and hunt down in stores. I could be wrong and it could be something like seersucker or the like (it's not seersucker though). Also without a really good quality close up of the fabric it's hard to know for sure what the pattern is doing. It looks like little diamonds/squares but could be something else.

I'm dumb, here's a better pic of the fabric!
fabricswatch.jpg

That quilted fabric idea is excellent though, thank you so much for the help!

p.s. I know you're in the other room and I could just say thank you to your face again but what is the fun in that?

I was going to recommend something at Jo-Ann's until I saw that close up. That'll be tough. What do the binoculars look like? I have some original WWII issue ones that you can borrow if they'll do the trick.

At first I thought it might be a "smocked" fabric, given that it appears to be set in the 60s or 70s, but the close-up doesn't look like it. I might be wrong and they can smock circles.

Last edited:
I was going to recommend something at Jo-Ann's until I saw that close up. That'll be tough. What do the binoculars look like? I have some original WWII issue ones that you can borrow if they'll do the trick.

I actually just picked these up!
il_570xN.354004597_32mr.jpg

But thanks, dude :]

Internet boredom set in...this is the closest I have found. I thin the scale may be too large, though.

Raised Circle Fabric

Oh that's freaking AWESOME! Thank you so much, I'll order a sample yard and see how it goes.

The fabric almost looks like some sort of matelasse. It definitely has some weight to it given the way it drapes.

Thank you so much for the help, I'm going to go google like crazy!

I also picked up a close-enough pin and some fun badges. I've already decided that I much rather have some cool, unique merit badges and pins instead of agonizing over recreating the exact ones :) Like this one-- behold, the peep badge.

il_570xN.318616437.jpg

il_570xN.299563439.jpg

the matter of glasses has come up. I found both a $50 pair of vintage frames and an $8 pair of novelty ones...lend me your thoughts?

Moonrise_Kingdom_sam.png

vintage -
il_570xN.344989357.jpg

novelty -
il_570xN.242964783.jpg

I'd say go with the vintage, but that's me. I like the material a lot more.

Those are pretty similar to my binoculars, good find.

. I've already decided that I much rather have some cool, unique merit badges and pins instead of agonizing over recreating the exact ones :)

If you haven't already thought of it... you HAVE to do one of the board or forum

Maulwalker's help with the fabric's technical name is going to lead to hours of googling, for sure. A lot of it is showing up as bedding or home decor, so you may want to check store's like Target for drapes and bed spreads.

I'd say novelty glasses, unless you can re-purpose them, but that's me. Given what I've seen of the BF detail to accuracy, he might want the translucent frames of the vintage.2 cents

I'd say go with the vintage, but that's me. I like the material a lot more.

Those are pretty similar to my binoculars, good find.

I do too! More than anything I like the shape of the bridge a lot more than on the cheap-o pair...but money is pretty tight right now and I dunno if they're worth it. He isn't a costumer and I have a feeling that they're going to end up in his pocket within a few minutes of the con.

If you haven't already thought of it... you HAVE to do one of the board or forum

Maulwalker's help with the fabric's technical name is going to lead to hours of googling, for sure. A lot of it is showing up as bedding or home decor, so you may want to check store's like Target for drapes and bed spreads.

I'd say novelty glasses, unless you can re-purpose them, but that's me. Given what I've seen of the BF detail to accuracy, he might want the translucent frames of the vintage.2 cents

Ohhh that's brilliant! Has anyone done a run of patches yet or are there just the pins? I might need to hunt down my old pin if that's the case...

Ahh and wrong BF, batdemon, this one doesn't do costumes so I'm hesitant to throw money at his outfit.But thanks for the pennies anyway!

Ohhh that's brilliant! Has anyone done a run of patches yet or are there just the pins? I might need to hunt down my old pin if that's the case...

Ahh and wrong BF, batdemon, this one doesn't do costumes so I'm hesitant to throw money at his outfit.But thanks for the pennies anyway!

oh...well I'm tasting shoe leather! :facepalm

I've not heard of any patch runs, unless the might have been part of a hat. If you can find your old pin, that would work.

Just got back from seeing this. I really want to get my hands on some of the badges from the film. Maybe once it's out on DVD (I doubt Blue Ray), it will be easier to get high res references.

(Preface, i'm putting together a replica of the scout uniform)
Does anyone have any suggestions for a base piece to the scout uniform (instead of making from scratch)? It is not a standard color. Normal scout uniforms are Khaki colored or very dark forest green (explorer scouts). Also the pants are olive green as well. In the movie you will also see that the khaki scouts don't all have matching uniforms. at least from the screenshots i've seen. Some are greenish, some are khaki, and i think there is even a brown one (i think he was the cook).

Some of the early 1950's UK scout uniforms were a lighter green, but still a little too green.

I am also wondering if using an older army uniform as a base would be a better choice. Taking the pants and creating shorts with them, then applying yellow trim to the pockets.

I've been having a hard time tracking down the right color mainly because wes always uses such odd color filters in his movies.

Just looking for basic feedback if you have ideas. Thanks!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back